Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comment on my choice of a Tilton 2 disk clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Comment on my choice of a Tilton 2 disk clutch

I have been reading up a ton on different clutches. I have read just about every thread posted on CF in the last 18 months regarding clutches. I have even read reviews on 350z, Supra and Viper forums. I no longer have to use the OEM clutch per the rules this year.

There are a lot of good clutches out there. Most seem to get decent reviews and not many bad reviews.

My goal are two fold:
  1. Get reliable and effective hydraulics, especially compared to OEM slave cylinder related problems when racing actively as I do.
  2. Reduce weight to release some horsepower in my already very underpowered ST2 C5 Z06.
Additional nice benefits would be to still be able to drive the car into the trailer and reduce overall weight of the car besides moment of inertia.

I have had poor luck in getting vendors to return my call last week with pricing and confirmation of the clutch characteristics. I have called and been told I would be called back, but that has not happened. I hear they cost about $1,800.

It is hard to find info on this clutch, but here are a couple of links:
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product
And this .PDF from Tilton, you need to scroll down to page 15
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1m8XKmX6GBKGvg

Can you guys comment on the Tilton and/or recommend your personal experiences where positive and matching my criteria.

Thanks,

Oli

Last edited by Olitho; 03-23-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:50 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I recently installed a QM 5.5" triple disc V-Drive and its the bomb.
I have no problem at all slipping the clutch to load on my trailer or getting up the hill out of my driveway. It's much more streetable than any 7.25 clutch I've ever driven. I bought mine from Danny P.

Weights:

Last edited by sperkins; 03-23-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

11.8 lbs is impressive.

What was the cost?

Does it have its own hydraulics?

Did you retune the car so it idles OK?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:51 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Oli I ran a Quartermaster triple on my 69 L-88 because it was the only clutch that would hold reliably. However, it was with a mechanical linkage, so I wore out my (OLD) knee. When I sold it, I have used a stock (street) clutch in my 63 Z06 racecar, and my knee is still thanking me for it.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:20 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Clutch

Oli,

There is no doubt that using the 5.5 triple with a flex plate will be the lightest.

Quick accel and decel (i.e. not much rotating mass). Don't drive in and out of trailer (IMHO).

The combo, as far as driveability, and idle quality and can drive in and out of trailer if necessary is the Quartermaster 8.5 in double with rally discs. Slightly heavier than 5.5 triple.

As far as just a race setup the 5.5 is hard to beat.

Don't try the 5.5 double with rally discs (thicker than regular metallic discs). The durability is lacking with your HP/WT., unless you want to change discs about 3 times during a season. I had to change discs when I ran this setup in about a third way through a season. I guess if you just wanted a set for Nationals only it would not be a problem. It would be light.

Last edited by J.R.; 03-23-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

in theory a 2-disc 5.5" will work if you NEVER do standing starting, but full power slippage could wear them quickly.

QM sells all of the parts you need eexcet for a single adapter, and Danny P has that.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1634366/quartermaster-C5.pdf
Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

oh my photos are the old "Pro" setup, but mechanically very similar

Combined with an aluminum damper, I shaved around 60lbs off of the crank the first time I did one.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by J.R.
Don't try the 5.5 double with rally discs (thicker than regular metallic discs). The durability is lacking with your HP/WT., unless you want to change discs about 3 times during a season. I had to change discs when I ran this setup in about a third way through a season. I guess if you just wanted a set for Nationals only it would not be a problem. It would be light.
I've had a double rally 5.5" in my car since July 2010. The last time I checked the discs with the inspection cover off, they were like new thickness. This is a car that's used very often, gets driven around town/on/off the trailer, steep driveway, etc. (Stock 01 LS6 so power level isn't crazy)

It's probably the best single thing I did to the car while in PTA/TTA. Depending on the track/gear you're in (lower shows up more), it was worth 1-3 tenths every straightaway, data verified.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah I meant to say that mine is the twin disc rally 5.5 too - not a triple.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was one of , if not the first C5's that Danny put the Quarter Master clutch in. I have the 7.25" version. It has been in the car for 4 seasons of TT and Racing. If anyone is ever behind me on the warm up laps knows that I am not friendly to it at all.

I was talking with Danny about this the other day and we thought that there would on been at least 3-4 Spec clutches used in the same timeframe.

So it may be a little more for the initial purchase but the TCO will be lower in the long run.

Also the stock hydraulics work great with this clutch, plus Danny has some new custom lines made so it's a bolt on without any modifications to the bell housing.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:23 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default clutch

Looks like a few people have had good luck with 5.5 rally double.

I may need to look at my driving style.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by J.R.
Looks like a few people have had good luck with 5.5 rally double.

I may need to look at my driving style.
in my case, when I slip the clutch to get the car going, I basically let it idle. I never try to have the car stationary and have it at 2 or 3 grand and let it slip, that's a lot of heat. and I never slip it long, I will get it engaged as quick as i can. slipping = heat = wear, the clutch is a toggle switch and I think the trick is to treat it as such, it's on or off. they aren't happy in between
Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Oli- i bought a Tilton through Black Dog Speed Shop. Give them a call at 847-634-7534.

Ray is very helpful and can help you out.

http://blackdogspeedshop.com/index.p...ions&Itemid=55

Last edited by jasonberkeley; 03-25-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Typo

Get notified of new replies

To Comment on my choice of a Tilton 2 disk clutch

Quick Reply: Comment on my choice of a Tilton 2 disk clutch