Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raybesto ST-43 chunking problem

Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raybesto ST-43 chunking problem

I did a bed-in one night doing the whole routine of 40-10mph, 60-10mph, and a few of 100-40mph. Anyways I went the next day (after bed-in) to an autocross and ran about 10 times on them with a warm up before the sessions. there was a section of braking from 97 to about 35 mph. This is my first set of race pads so i am not sure if i did something wrong or what could of caused this.

Info/input would is welcome!

Front right pair

Rear

A close-up of the front
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Seeing the combination of a little bit of glaze plus the chunking is unusual, but both are symptoms of improper bedding. Not sure how many cycles of the low speed stops you did, but those starting speeds look a bit unaggressive for race pads. It's possible you didn't get the pads and rotors hot enough on the original bedding attempt and then overheated them too quickly during the race (escaping gases caused chunking). The morning after I bed-in my race pads, there is still a very slight smell similar to burnt pad around the car. Did you notice anything the next morning?

Only other thing I can think of would be if you used new/unseasoned rotors when you bedded the pad??

Last edited by CONE RACER; 03-26-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I can't imagine autocross getting enough heat for st-43s. I run them and they don't fully come in until the 2nd session of 20 minutes on the track.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Originally Posted by CONE RACER
Seeing the combination of a little bit of glaze plus the chunking is unusual, but both are symptoms of improper bedding. Not sure how many cycles of the low speed stops you did, but those starting speeds look a bit unaggressive for race pads. It's possible you didn't get the pads and rotors hot enough on the original bedding attempt and then overheated them too quickly during the race (escaping gases caused chunking). The morning after I bed-in my race pads, there is still a very slight smell similar to burnt pad around the car. Did you notice anything the next morning?

Only other thing I can think of would be if you used new/unseasoned rotors when you bedded the pad??
I am guessing I didnt get the hot enough on bed-in, and they were still letting off gasses in the autox. no pad smell the next morning. anyways they do have one hell of a bite! and they were not bed-in on new rotors.

Will this chunking and glazing greatly decrease the of these pads? Anything i should do before running them again? I do have another set of rotors i could bed them in on.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

definitely the wrong pads for auto-x. The "chunking" is pretty minor - when I think of chunking it is 20-50% of the pad coming off, due to overheating.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
definitely the wrong pads for auto-x. The "chunking" is pretty minor - when I think of chunking it is 20-50% of the pad coming off, due to overheating.
Yea, i kinda figured. I have them for when I go to Sebring, but I cant afford to do that all the time. I would use my street pads for Autocross but when i have my hoosiers R6's on I feel like the brakes cant slow the car fast enough for those tires. Its just having fun with what I have. Just seeing if i could do my bedding better or if doing autocross will ruin these pads faster than normal.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

my guess is that you are asking too much of these out of their desired heat range, but that is a total guess and may or may not have any truth. I have not seen chunking on these pads, other than (from what I remember), cracking off a decent chunk of pad (only discovered when changing sides to avoid taper) due to cooking them.
I have been through at least 4 sets of these pads, used gently on the street and pretty mercilessly on the track. Always, though, with the proper bedding (one perk of the street driving).
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Thanks for the input! I guess I can try and bed them in ofer a week of street driving before my next event, I'll try on a different set of rotors
Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

As others said, not an autox pad, but they don't look all that bad to me. Make sure you clean any glaze off the rotors & try again. You should be able to examine the rotors after bed in for a proper transfer layer, maybe bed in more aggressive next time. Ck mfg recommendation for bed in procedure.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
autoxer6
Racer

The rotor doesn't look bedded. You should have the grey color on the inner half too. I dont think you got them hot enough. The factory pads have plenty of bite for a A6, let alone and R6. It's just the heat they cant handle.

You aren't getting these pads up to operating temperatue and they change friction as they build head. Lower temp pads (like the factory pad) would be more consistent corner to corner and may help you go faster. Unless you are hot lapping an autocross course, I dont think it's possible to overhead a factory pad at autocross, even a 97 MPH course.

You could try a lower temp race pad. I run pads with less bite than the factory pads with my A6's. That helps me modulate the brake. They have plenty of bite, I just have to push harder.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer6
The rotor doesn't look bedded. You should have the grey color on the inner half too. I dont think you got them hot enough. The factory pads have plenty of bite for a A6, let alone and R6. It's just the heat they cant handle.

You aren't getting these pads up to operating temperatue and they change friction as they build head. Lower temp pads (like the factory pad) would be more consistent corner to corner and may help you go faster. Unless you are hot lapping an autocross course, I dont think it's possible to overhead a factory pad at autocross, even a 97 MPH course.

You could try a lower temp race pad. I run pads with less bite than the factory pads with my A6's. That helps me modulate the brake. They have plenty of bite, I just have to push harder.
Good call, I did not notice the rotor in the first post, the pads were not bedded in completely.

Get notified of new replies

To Raybesto ST-43 chunking problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raybesto ST-43 chunking problem