Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you using for event numbers / decals?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What are you using for event numbers / decals?

I had spent the money on some nice static cling panels to use for autocross but quickly discovered that they were somewhat transparent, so the numbers came out looking a bit darker, and the inevitable bubbles were pretty apparent...

Name:  YbCCA0S.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  606.8 KB

(that was the better side of the car, by the way; passenger side had been sitting in the sun prior to applying the panels, and bubbled much more)

I could also get them to peel up pretty easily by blowing on them, so I put clear tape on the leading edges and a few other places... That worked well, but was a mess after sitting in the sun all day. Came off of the car somewhat ok, but now the static clings have goop on them.

Does anyone have a source for static clings that are a bit more opaque and better suited for this use? Any thoughts on getting individual numbers and letters instead of whole panels? Is that easier? Or, is there some other better approach that I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

Last edited by Weston; 04-01-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Call David farmer, he has done a few things for me and they look great.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used these guys before for reusable vinly decals.

http://www.soloperformance.com/Track...bers_c_50.html
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
I had spent the money on some nice static cling panels to use for autocross but quickly discovered that they were somewhat transparent, so the numbers came out looking a bit darker, and the inevitable bubbles were pretty apparent...

(that was the better side of the car, by the way; passenger side had been sitting in the sun prior to applying the panels, and bubbled much more)

I could also get them to peel up pretty easily by blowing on them, so I put clear tape on the leading edges and a few other places... That worked well, but was a mess after sitting in the sun all day. Came off of the car somewhat ok, but now the static clings have goop on them.

Does anyone have a source for static clings that are a bit more opaque and better suited for this use? Any thoughts on getting individual numbers and letters instead of whole panels? Is that easier? Or, is there some other better approach that I'm not aware of?

Thanks.
When I did autocross with my street car I used Izoom graphics autocross number sets. Go on easy, stay on and come off easy plus are resuable. I even used them at the NCM event at VIR and they stayed on the car at high speed.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM
justkickin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430

Tried these, they don't stay on. The cling, is well, not very clingy. They came off in a breeze with the car parked. Ended up needing tape as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

How they look and stay on has a lot to do with how you put them on the car.

I use a set of static clings I bought from a local graphics shop and they have lasted for close to 6 years now.

When I put thes on, I first clean the sides of the doors to make sure there is no dust, dirt, or road film and dry the area with a towel. Then I wet the area with a squirt bottle using plain water. I apply the static cling where I want it and use a piece of hardboard to squeegee out the excess water.

I first go across the top of the decal and then down the center. Then I work from the center outwards to the edges. The trick is to use just enough pressure to remove the water and any air pockets. One thing you should do is to cut the corners of the decal so they are rounded off and not square. That helps keep the corners in place.

I use the same number set for track days and never had any issues with them becoming loose or blowing off.

When you remove them make sure they are clean and placed on a backer sheet. These sheets should have a shiny, almost plastic side to them. Any graphics shop should have rolls of that material.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by justkickin
Tried these, they don't stay on. The cling, is well, not very clingy. They came off in a breeze with the car parked. Ended up needing tape as well.
That's a bummer. I can get a season out of mine and I make sure the surfaces is always really clean before applying them.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 PM
justkickin
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

I use a set of static clings I bought from a local graphics shop and they have lasted for close to 6 years now.

When I put thes on, I first clean the sides of the doors to make sure there is no dust, dirt, or road film and dry the area with a towel. Then I wet the area with a squirt bottle using plain water. I apply the static cling where I want it and use a piece of hardboard to squeegee out the excess water.

I first go across the top of the decal and then down the center. Then I work from the center outwards to the edges. The trick is to use just enough pressure to remove the water and any air pockets. One thing you should do is to cut the corners of the decal so they are rounded off and not square. That helps keep the corners in place.

I use the same number set for track days and never had any issues with them becoming loose or blowing off.

When you remove them make sure they are clean and placed on a backer sheet. These sheets should have a shiny, almost plastic side to them. Any graphics shop should have rolls of that material.
Never tried the water thing. Will give that a shot when the car comes out of storage. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Call David farmer, he has done a few things for me and they look great.
and great service.

soloperformance is OK as well, used them once.

I'll use David for the next set of numbers and class letters
Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

My car is a street/track car. Originally, I was putting decals on the doors or pillars and then pulling them off after the weekend. The problem I found was it was difficult to get them back off the paint and I lightly scratched the paint in a few places with my finger nail trying to get the stupid things back off.

After seeing someone else do it, this is what I do now. I just have these decals made and put them on my rear window. 100% easier and I just yank them off when I'm ready to go home and I don't worry about messing up the paint. They come off in seconds.

I think I ordered like 8 sets for $20. Next time I am going to order them a might smaller. They are pretty big. haha

I ordered them from this place.
http://www.graffixunlimited.com/frame.htm

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 04-02-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 AM
VTcorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by justkickin

This is what I use also, work great for track events. They are not static cling and are a thick vinyl with an adhesive back. They stick very well and will stay on. At some point they will wear out and have to be replaced, but I am at 10 track days with them and they still hold great. Just make sure the surface is clean before you stick them on.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Exactly. I'm on my second year with mine.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a roll of Con-Tact brand shelf liner that I bought at Home Depot. It is very thin and has almost no adhesive at all. It comes in a 75 foot roll 18 inches wide. The only draw back is I have to cut new numbers by hand for every event. I printed out some numbers and glued that to the sides of a cereal box to make templates. I then trace the outline of the numbers on the backside of the contact paper with the templates and cut them out with scissors. Entire process takes about 15 minutes. I was worried they would fly off when I first put them on, but they held up to 8 runs (me and co-driver) in some pretty windy conditions. I put them on dry, but the surface needs to be clean. No problem at all taking them off since there isn't any adhesive. They can stay on all day in direct sunlight with no problems.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...utox32013.jpg/

Last edited by SteveC68; 04-03-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

That's a bummer. I can get a season out of mine and I make sure the surfaces is always really clean before applying them.
My Solo #'s last pretty long also. you have to put them on a clean surface though, duct tape will come off if it's dirty.

Get notified of new replies

To What are you using for event numbers / decals?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are you using for event numbers / decals?