Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to ruin a mustang track day

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to ruin a mustang track day

Local ford dealer sponsors a track day and opens it up to other cars. Felt like I brought a gun to a knife fight. Couldn't get a clean lap with all that traffic this session. Wonder how many of those BOSS guys were rethinking their purchase note the jerk in the GT-R who held me up for almost three laps. He has a lot more power so he pulled away a little in the straights but he was really slow in the turns. He was costing me over 5 seconds a lap.

Finally got some clean laps the last session and hit a bug right as I start my two best laps.

Wonder if they will invite me out again.

Last edited by MarkDFW; 04-11-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

It has been my experience that most dealer sponsored track days attract folks that have no idea what a race track really is. Some seem to be lost the whole day. One has to be very careful.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:14 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Solid rear axle FTL
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
It has been my experience that most dealer sponsored track days attract folks that have no idea what a race track really is. Some seem to be lost the whole day. One has to be very careful.
They divided us by experience level. The videos I posted are me passing the advanced/instructors group.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I have seen a lot of good drivers in mediocre cars, and vice versa.

I can assure you that a capable driver in a Boss Mustang (especially a Laguna Seca) would provide you with a formidable opponent.

As for that "gun" that you brought to a knife fight, it looks like you also have some room for improvement.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NVR2L8

I can assure you that a capable driver in a Boss Mustang (especially a Laguna Seca) would provide you with a formidable opponent.

As for that "gun" that you brought to a knife fight, it looks like you also have some room for improvement.

No disagreement I have lots of room to improve as a driver. That was my 10th ever HPDE. I am still very new with lots to learn.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

That looks like a fun track, looks like the paddle shift did pretty darn well too.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Finspeed
That looks like a fun track, looks like the paddle shift did pretty darn well too.
I bought it as a daily driver and had never done HPDE before. My first HPDE about 6 months after I bought it and I was hooked. Been a little over a year since that first HPDE and I am slowly converting it to a track car and will buy a truck and tailer at some point.

Eagles Canyon Raceway is a fun track. I have a few people poke fun of me for having an A6 with paddles but I usually pass them and then they stop.

Last edited by MarkDFW; 04-12-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice video to watch, what camera?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8

Was that a Miata pulling away from you on a couple of turns? LOL...just yanking your chain. Like the paddle shift!

Last edited by ZedO6; 04-11-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by froggy47
Nice video to watch, what camera?

Thanks. GoPro hero 2.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Hey, look at it this way: when someone holds you up like that GTR it just gives your car (not necessarily the driver ) a chance to cool down.

Had something similar happen to me at last year's Corvette Focus at MSRC when I got up behind a new guy in a CTSV (I was running my LS1 Miata). Catch him in every, and I mean EVERY corner, but pulled me on every straight. Even tried to set him up coming out of Ricochet, pulled halfway alongside of him, but he never gave any hint he knew I was there, so I backed off and pitted on the next opportunity (pretty close to the end of the session anyway).

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm a Chevy guy but there are some Mustang drivers in NASA Mid Atlantic and Florida who W2W(TT to a lessor degree) who will show up most Vettes unless you bring your A game. HPDE even in the advanced groups isnt a great indicator of what/who is really fast.

Those newer Mustangs in the right hands are pretty good.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If this was an advanced group, that GTR driver would have seen the color of my eyes in his rear view in the turns. Looked like you were being far too cordial with him!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
If this was an advanced group, that GTR driver would have seen the color of my eyes in his rear view in the turns. Looked like you were being far too cordial with him!
I had a talk with him afterwards and made it clear I wasn't happy. Another guy in a s2000 also complained about him to the staff. HPDE is point to pass in designated straights. He had more power and could pull away slowly in the straights but I was all over him in the corners. He was a real jerk about it and ruined part of my third session.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
... HPDE is point to pass in designated straights. He had more power and could pull away slowly in the straights but I was all over him in the corners. He was a real jerk about it and ruined part of my third session.
Check out 10/10ths Motorsports sometime. They have nice, friendly run group rules: green - passing in straights w/point bye, yellow - passing anywhere on track w/point bye, red - pass anywhere, anytime w/ no point bye required (it really keeps everyone honest and paying attention). Works very well.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Check out 10/10ths Motorsports sometime. They have nice, friendly run group rules: green - passing in straights w/point bye, yellow - passing anywhere on track w/point bye, red - pass anywhere, anytime w/ no point bye required (it really keeps everyone honest and paying attention). Works very well.
I ran nasa time trials last month for the first time and open passing definitely gets your attention!

Get notified of new replies

To How to ruin a mustang track day

Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of the best paddle shift driving I've seen in amateur videos. What mods, other than exhaust, do you have? I'm pretty sure inviting other brands to their road course events is a ploy to sell you a new Ford...however, you probably sold a few Corvettes that day! Nice videos....love the Hero2 and use mine often, but can't find a road course I can afford to drive.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
Some of the best paddle shift driving I've seen in amateur videos. What mods, other than exhaust, do you have? I'm pretty sure inviting other brands to their road course events is a ploy to sell you a new Ford...however, you probably sold a few Corvettes that day! Nice videos....love the Hero2 and use mine often, but can't find a road course I can afford to drive.
Thanks. American Racing Headers, cam, CAI, tune, npp exhaust, pfadt Johnny O'Connell sway bar and single adjustable coilovers, carbotech xp12/xp10 brake pads. Running kuhmo v710 scrubs with ccw wheels. That was the 5th day and 23rd and 24th heat cycle on those tires. They were done by that last video.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:19 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Agreed. I get right up on their bumper the first corner then back off a little bit to the side so they can see me in their side mirror. If I'm not getting the pass signal, I'll stay glued to their rear end as best I can. One of two things happens, they either give me the pass by (most of the time) or they spin trying to go too fast through the corner.

Quick Reply: How to ruin a mustang track day