Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys get more aggressive alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default How do you guys get more aggressive alignment?

A tech who did my alignment yesterday couldn't get as much alignment on my C6 as I had hoped. He works on Ferrari Challenge cars and has the top-end Hunter alignment machine. I even had him take the washer out behind the A-arm based on a trick I read on the forum. I also had a Pfadt camber kit installed.

So, the most he could get was -2.1 front and -1.7 rear. He said he could get a bit more in the back, but he didn't see how to get more in the front. Do you guys have any tricks I could share with him? I was hoping for closer to -3.0 in the front as I'm running Michelin racing slicks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you flip the upper dog bones in front to get more camber?
In the rear, that is about all you can get without taking drastic measures. Be happy if it is relatively equal on the left and right.
You may only be able to get 2.5 or so in the front.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did he max out the concentrics AND remove ALL of the washers? I was able to get -3.0 personally.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

By removing the washers on front upper mounts and maxing the concentrics I got -3.0 also.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Cory -

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I also had a Pfadt camber kit installed.

So, the most he could get was -2.1 front and -1.7 rear.
This worries me, as I'm having a shop install the Pfadt camber kit on my ZR1 tomorrow morning. Did you install the lower front camber plate with the 'Z' facing you, or away from you?

Also, did you call Pfadt up and talk to Blair their alignment guy? Something just sounds... off... here.

jas

Last edited by jvp; 04-25-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

No concentrics with the pfadt kit. Jas, I will call Pfadt up and talk to them. Maybe, the shop that installed the kit didn't put the 'Z' on the right side. There should be more there than -2.1 for sure, I would think.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Maybe, the shop that installed the kit didn't put the 'Z' on the right side. There should be more there than -2.1 for sure, I would think.
You should be kissing close to 3* with that setup and no camber shims installed on the UCA.

jas
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Did you flip the upper dog bones in front to get more camber?
Originally Posted by jvp

Did you install the lower front camber plate with the 'Z' facing you, or away from you?.

jas
^This.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm running that pfadt camber kit on my Carbon Ed, so basically a ZR1 with a 427 and I'm currently at -2.9 on the front and -1.9 on the rear. I believe I'm just about maxed out on the front right now.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Werks
I'm running that pfadt camber kit on my Carbon Ed, so basically a ZR1 with a 427 and I'm currently at -2.9 on the front and -1.9 on the rear. I believe I'm just about maxed out on the front right now.
Do you undo that when you hit the streets? Or just keep the massive negative camber? When I talked to Pfadt yesterday, they didn't think a huge swing would be possible with just the camber shims. Possibly upwards of 2* at most.

jas
Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

I'd be happy with -2.9 and -1.9. -2.1 isn't going to cut it. I'm going to check here in the next day or two and see if I need to swap sides on the plates.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:34 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've said this many times before on this forum, the plates don't give you more camber and the differences that people get is due to differing ride heights. I use the #6 camber plates and get 4.7 degrees of negative camber front and 3.6 rear. I'm running the #1 and #2 plates with about 2.4 degrees in front and rear.
Bottom line ride height will determine the max camber you can get in the end.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by geerookie
I've said this many times before on this forum, the plates don't give you more camber and the differences that people get is due to differing ride heights. I use the #6 camber plates and get 4.7 degrees of negative camber front and 3.6 rear. I'm running the #1 and #2 plates with about 2.4 degrees in front and rear.
Bottom line ride height will determine the max camber you can get in the end.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
Do you undo that when you hit the streets? Or just keep the massive negative camber? When I talked to Pfadt yesterday, they didn't think a huge swing would be possible with just the camber shims. Possibly upwards of 2* at most.

jas
Yes I run on the street with the same settings. I'm guessing that my car is like yours, not a daily driver but mostly a track car with occasional use on the weekends or I take it out for an occasional road trip. For street use I run the stock 19/20 PS2's and I'm not seeing any crazy wear or anything like that. Wear I personally believe is predominately caused by dragging the tires due to toe. I run 0 deg. toe front and rear which on the track allows the car to transition pretty quickly.

I'm still playing around with different tire types/brands and plan on leaving my alignment settings where they are until I finally settle on a specific tire brand/compound then might add a little front toe out to increase initial turn in. Should also mentioned right now I'm on poly bushings (so still experiencing some bushing deflection) but will be changing over to monoball soon.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On my 06ZO6 I can get -3.5 on the front no problem with the Pfadt. kit
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I could get -3 in front of my Z with the cams. When I installed the Pfadt Camber Plates the most I could get was -2.7. At this time I have the alignment set at -2 with the Pfadt Plates set in the max position with the Z to the inboard of the bolt. I have 2 of their 1.9 and 1 of their .9 shims behind each front dog bone and 1 1.9 shim behind each rear dog bone. Left side caster is 7.5 and right side is 6.75.

One thing I notice about the plates is they don't fit tightly in the cam slot. There is close to 1/16 slop.

I flip the plates over when I want a street alignment. The instructions say to have the curved side upwards but they are so far below the top of the cam slot I see no reason to pay attention to that and just loosen the bolt and rotate the plates on the bolt thus moving the Z from the inside to the outside of the bolt.

Bill
Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Yes I run on the street with the same settings. I'm guessing that my car is like yours, not a daily driver but mostly a track car with occasional use on the weekends or I take it out for an occasional road trip.
Actually, I use mine as a daily, grocery getter, errand runner, and track terror.

jas

Get notified of new replies

To How do you guys get more aggressive alignment?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Install bolts and plates with “Z”
- One plate goes on each end of the bolt.
-All plates should be installed so that the rounded corners face up.
-For non-aggressive alignments, less than 1.5 degrees negative camber, install plates with the “Z” towards
the outside of the car.
-For aggressive alignments, more than 1.5 degrees negative camber, install the plates with the
“Z” towards the insideof the car
check this i bet it is it.

BTW how did the car run this last time you were out??
Old 04-25-2013, 12:01 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way to max out the negative camber is the Camber kit like you have, flipping the dog bone (I know the sphericals from Pfadt have a different dog bone, not sure if it's shaved more or not) and drop spindles as they lower the ride height and have some negative camber built in.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

There should be more there than -2.1 for sure, I would think.
For what it's worth: my shop is having the exact same issue, and they've verified the Zs are facing the proper way.

There shouldn't be a difference between the associated suspension pieces between the Z06 and ZR1, but something is up here...

Stay tuned.

jas

Quick Reply: How do you guys get more aggressive alignment?