Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 wheels/tires - need some CF expertise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Default Z06 wheels/tires - need some CF expertise!

Just bought a set of Z06 wheels (factory Speedlines) for my base C5 coupe. Looking forward to getting them on the car, but man I never thought that getting tires would be so hard!

I have Michelin PS2's now and love them, but not real excited about buying another set (expensive) so I have been reading through a lot of forum threads and came across Vredestein Sessanta as possibly an excellent alternative. I should note here that I don't track or race the car, just spirited street driving. Since the car is not a DD, wet performance isn't critical, but also don't want to get tires that would put me in the ditch if I get caught out in the rain...

When I look at the sizes available for Vredestein Sessanta tires, it appears that I have to go with P275/40ZR17 up front and P295/35ZR18 out back.

My concern here is that the difference in diameter is only 0.4" (26.1 - 25.7). Is this going to give me TC problems? Most posts I see state minimum of 0.5".

Second question is what about speedo calibration? Remember my car is a base C5, so it came with tires that were 25.7" and 26.7" in diameter.

I would love to go with tires that are P275/40ZR17 and P315/35ZR18. This would retain the original tire diameters both front and back and would give me a nice wide tire in back (going for looks). However, I can't seem to find any street tires in the 315 size.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on the TC and speedo and the tire sizes I am looking for.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 PM
seattime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BFG is coming out with the rival in 315/30-18 in June
Old 04-28-2013, 03:29 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Not a lot of info out on those tires yet - but from the few things I could find, it seems that they are getting pretty good reviews.

Pricing on Tire Rack looks like around $1200 or so for a set of four...getting on back up toward PS2 territory.

I like the sizes they offer.

Wish there was a bit more info in terms of real world experience on the street with these tires, especially on C5's.

Gives me something to think about.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I do not recall ever seeing anyone say they had a TC/AH problem when running 275's in front (versus the OEM 265's), in conjunction with 295/35-18 rears. Just the opposite - many people have affirmed they run that combo with no problems at all.

Can't speak for the odometer issue, or whether it's easily correctable.... The reality is there is only an approximately 2% circumferential difference between the 295/35 and 275/40 tires, so in the grand scheme of things, it may not matter all that much.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:51 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Even though the OP has probably bought tires by now I will comment anyway. I did the exact change he's referring to. I had PS2's on my Z06. I went to 18" wheels front and rear. When the time came to replace them I didn't want to spend that much again. I went with Vreds this time and I'm completely satisfied. I find them a better tire in all aspects, aside from the $500 price difference.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:15 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on road courses and drag strips as well as long highways with my Vreds and I LOVE them. ESPECIALLY in the rain. they are a must have in the NW, if you ask me. No tc problems, can't answer the second question.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 PM
bodhiz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me if I'm posting this question in the wrong area....
If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.
I have a White 2000 C5 Vert and am looking into purchasing a set of wheels
and tires...My question is... the wheels I'm looking at are the Z6 ZO6 Deep Dish Wheels, 19 x 10 rear and 18 x 8.5 front... I want to lower it on its own bolts...all the pics on this forum with the same wheels look like they are flush and maybe stick a little outside the fender and I'm worried the rear wheel will hit the fender when I hit dips on the Fwy....etc.
Does anyone have this set-up or thoughts on the subject..
Also I'm sure the tire size would make a little difference as well...I think I'm going to go with Hankook's.........This is my DD

Thanks

Last edited by bodhiz; 09-14-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 wheels/tires - need some CF expertise!

Quick Reply: Z06 wheels/tires - need some CF expertise!