Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rear brakes - rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM
sheshnwoody
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New rear brakes - rubbing

Just installed new stock rear calipers, wilwood H pads and centric prem rotors on c5 z06. Everything went together smoothly. Rebled the calipers. Issue is, rear pads are rubbing rotors lightly all the time. Can hear it more after driving, so assumption is hotter as expanded. Both right and left are doing it.

Took off both pads checked pins, still greased for ease of sliding. Pads were seated fine. tried old rotor, same deal, really tight.

Is this normal for new rotor, pad combo? I can push piston back with caliper tool, but not by hand.

Should I just drive it to wear it down?

Seeking recommendation. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Is it a squeal like a pad or more metallic sound as in back dust cover touching rotor? Not familiar with the Wilwood rears but if you take the emergency brake out be sure to remove all the barrels/guts from inside the dust cover leaving only the cable hanging on the outside.

Or

do the wilwoods have anti knock back springs?

Last edited by SouthernSon; 04-28-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
sheshnwoody
Instructor

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Is it a squeal like a pad or more metallic sound as in back dust cover touching rotor? Not familiar with the Wilwood rears but if you take the emergency brake out be sure to remove all the barrels/guts from inside the dust cover leaving only the cable hanging on the outside.
It's pad squeal, as I can manually turn rotor on jack stands and hear them. Wilwood pads are same size as normal, just track version.

I put WW Hs in front too and they are fine.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I use the Wilwood H pads also. Everything you are using is new and on the large end of the tolerances. Drive them a couple of hundred street miles or one track session and they should be seated and the noise should stop. Did you lube the contact points where the caliper piston contacts the pad and where the pad tangs rest on the caliper bracket ?? Your squeel could be coming from there.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I misunderstood and thought you replace the oem caliper. Maybe take the rotors back off, clean with wire brush at all contact points and torque wheel back on equally all the way around. If you can get the pads to slip over the rotors there shouldn't be any contact if rotor is turning true. Even then, it should knock the pads back. There may be a small amount of trash in the lines preventing the fluid from relieving pressure. Open the fitting a bunch and flush the system with a lot of fluid. Maybe get a good set of SS lines while you do it. GL.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run H pads (track only) and they do make more noise than the street pads I run. If you're just talking brake squeal, bed them and see how they do. H pads not good on the street anyway.

Good luck
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM
sheshnwoody
Instructor

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I use the Wilwood H pads also. Everything you are using is new and on the large end of the tolerances. Drive them a couple of hundred street miles or one track session and they should be seated and the noise should stop. Did you lube the contact points where the caliper piston contacts the pad and where the pad tangs rest on the caliper bracket ?? Your squeel could be coming from there.
Yes, I did put the grease on the back of the pads. I also ground the rust off hub mount point if any. Still does it after an hour ride today.

Guess I will drive around some more.

Get notified of new replies

To New rear brakes - rubbing

Quick Reply: New rear brakes - rubbing