Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RR wheel hop autocrossing

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM
RyanR0101
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default RR wheel hop autocrossing

I went autocrossing this weekend ('98 coupe), and there were both right and left hand sweeping curves. Going left, I could drive at the limit on the tires to where it was just sliding, no problem. Going right, I got some pretty bad wheel hop on the right rear. Even the corner workers saw it and said it was hopping. As I got to a certain point (g force or whatever you want to call it), it would start doing it. Would this be a bad shock, diff issue, or could it be something else? I can go in circles both ways with no chatter. Diff lube is AMSoil severe gear and is at the right level. I took a look underneath and when I pulled the wheel off, and I don’t see anything wrong/loose, or the shock leaking or anything. I bounced both rear corners and they react the same and don't keep bouncing when I let go. The car seems to drive fine otherwise. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Most courses have different traction characteristics on each turn (except maybe air strip courses). It could be you had more/less grip depending on the turn. If your shocks are adjustable, I would have softened a bit to see if that helps.

Otherwise I would just watch for it on the next event & see if it reoccurs.

I know on straight launch if I do it poorly mine will axle hop every time & there is nothing wrong with mine.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM
RyanR0101
Racer

It's an F45 car, so that's the extent of the asjustability. And it seemed I could steer in and out of the hop, so I didn't think it was specific to that corner. Less steering or less throttle reduced the hop. I'll continue to pay attention to it, but it was just a bit freaky when it happened as I've never experienced that before.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by RyanR0101
It's an F45 car, so that's the extent of the asjustability. And it seemed I could steer in and out of the hop, so I didn't think it was specific to that corner. Less steering or less throttle reduced the hop. I'll continue to pay attention to it, but it was just a bit freaky when it happened as I've never experienced that before.
Here is a link to f45 stuff.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-troubles.html

Did you check codes?

Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan,
How many times have you run the car since it was repaired?
What was replaced?
Did you ever notice this before the repairs?

I think it is one of these:
Diff
Shocks
Suspension binding / alignment / problem.

I could loan you my stock 04 Z06 rear shocks to see if that eliminates the problem.

Chris Shay
Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 PM
RyanR0101
Racer

I've run it autocrossing three times since the repair. Only during the school in the east course on the right sweeper did I ever notice anything. Never noticed it before, but it's kind of a particular set of circumstances. I could back out of the throttle or steering to reduce or eliminate it. He replaced pretty much everything in the rear suspension that is either exclusive to the right side or shared. I did a few small circles both ways this morning and didn't get any chatter or anything.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

What was repaired? I didn't get that.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM
RyanR0101
Racer

A couple years ago I hit a pole with the RR while autocrossing, and everything on that side plus anything that was shared between sides had to be replaced.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Ryan,
How many times have you run the car since it was repaired?
What was replaced?
Did you ever notice this before the repairs?

I think it is one of these:
Diff
Shocks
Suspension binding / alignment / problem.

I could loan you my stock 04 Z06 rear shocks to see if that eliminates the problem.

Chris Shay
If you think all the above is working correctly, my only idea would to be drain the diff & try RedLine 75w90 gear oil (get the one that INCLUDES the additive). I've used it 30k miles.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd check the diff clutch plates - they wear out faster than most realize.

The spec for the C5 diff is 75 lb-ft. C6 is ~120 lb-ft I believe. The C6 plates will fit in a C5 diff but they are about $300 a set.

To check the diff, lift one rear wheel. With the car in neutral and parking brake off, put a torque wrench on the axle nut of the axle in the air and measure how much torque is needed to move the axle. Should be about 75 lb-ft for the C5. Lower and you need new diff clutch plates. Could be something else as well, but this is something I check often on my car.

Most of my fellow SCCA touring racing buddies change diffs fairly often. I just had mine rebuilt last weekend after six years of use.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To RR wheel hop autocrossing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RR wheel hop autocrossing