Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona HPDE

Old 05-17-2013, 05:21 PM
irieman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Daytona HPDE

I'd like to do a HPDE at Daytona this year (especially at the end of the year) and I'm looking for any leads of any clubs or companies that might have something scheduled. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM
TRAK0UT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually do a PCA event at Daytona each year in October with the Florida Citrus Region. The only caveat is you have to be an experienced, or pca instructor driver. Good event with limited entrants for the HPDE and a fair amount of track time. They actually do it during the breaks of PCA club races. I haven't seen it posted yet but they should have the event up on Clubregistration.com shortly.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I believe it was Dec 2007 when the first HPDE type event was run at Daytona. Prior to that all the events were club or sanctioned racing type events that required some sort of competitive racing license.

Until this year the only Driver Education track day type events at Daytona were in the fall - Oct, Nov, and Dec. This year there was one last month.

I believe the PCA event TRAKOUT is talking about is scheduled for Oct 4-6 this year.

I've done the DE part of this event before, and like TRAKOUT said, it's in between the racing sessions. Usually Friday is racing only, and the DE sessions are on Sat/Sun.

There is usually a PBOC HPDE about a week or so later in Oct, but I can't find any info about it yet.

If you aren't a fairly experienced track event driver, the best event of the fall is without doubt the HPDE in Dec. The last couple years it has been co-sponsored by Audi (a club from Ohio) and Hooked on Driving. A few weeks ago I saw on the HoD site that it was scheduled for Dec 6-8 this year, but I just checked now and it's not on their schedule.

The head of the Florida region Hooked on Driving is a forum member, so hopefully Henry will chime in and let us know if the event is still a go in Dec.

BTW - I just checked the Audi club site and it shows they have the event on their schedule. check the link below:

http://www.audiclubohiovalley.org/ev...ate=2013-12-08

So, if HoD is still a co-sponsor of the event you can sign up through them, otherwise you can sign up through the Audi club.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-17-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Added BTW
Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

WWW.Motorsportsreg.com
Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 PM
irieman
Racer

Thanks guys...

I use to run HPDE's in my supercharged Mustang, but work and all the other little things in life got in the way. I have a GS and Z that are ready to stretch thier legs, so I've set Daytona as my last goal of the year. I hope to get a handful of events (Summit, VIR, The Glen) under my belt before I head down

I'll be back to ask some more questions on what to expect and what I may need differntly at Daytona than any other track.

BEZ06 (Bob) your a lucky person to have such a great track in your back yard. Maybe your the one with the video I saw of a Z running around Daytona. I think that vid was my motivation to get back on the track.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:41 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by irieman
Thanks guys...

I use to run HPDE's in my supercharged Mustang, but work and all the other little things in life got in the way. I have a GS and Z that are ready to stretch thier legs, so I've set Daytona as my last goal of the year.
Well....Daytona is one of the few places you can run WOT for a significant length of time, and that will definitely let either car "stretch their legs"!!!

I'll be back to ask some more questions on what to expect and what I may need differntly at Daytona than any other track.
If you're just doing an HPDE, nothing different than any other event (maybe a couple psi more in the right side tires). If you're doing W2W and need a podium finish for better sponsorships or contract, there are some suspension setup and weighting stuff you can do to gain a few tenths/lap on a roval like Daytona. If you have some aero stuff (especially a wing), it may need to be set up differently for high speed running than it would for downforce in slower cornering on a twisty track.

BEZ06 (Bob) your a lucky person to have such a great track in your back yard.
Hmmmm.....except that I feel compelled to go to all of them - and it's EXPENSIVE to run 3 or 4 events here per year!!!! A day here costs as much as a 2 or 3 day event at most other tracks!! I've heard it's something like $35,000/day to rent the track!

Although with no travel expenses for me, that keeps the cost kinda similar to many other events.

Maybe your the one with the video I saw of a Z running around Daytona. I think that vid was my motivation to get back on the track.
Maybe! Sorry that it may end up costing you more than the normal track day event, but it is very C L running this place - it's made for you to let the beast loose in a high HP car!!!

I hope to get a handful of events (Summit, VIR, The Glen) under my belt before I head down
I hope you'll be doing the National Corvette Museum HPDE at VIR the end of June - it's an event not to be missed!!! If you aren't registered yet, go here and sign up!!!

http://www.corvettemuseum.org/regist.../virinfo.shtml

Bob

Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Thanks, BEZ06, for the video post. I will be there next weekend for the Chump race but have never been on that track. Your video will help me get oriented. Any tips you may have, please PM them. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Thanks, BEZ06, for the video post. I will be there next weekend for the Chump race but have never been on that track. Your video will help me get oriented. Any tips you may have, please PM them. Thanks.
Wow - that will be FUN!!!

My best advice is to be very careful on the pit road exit lane!!!

When they leave pit row the NASCAR guys go blasting right out onto the tri-oval.

Butt.....take a look at the video below.

You can see that when you leave the end of pit row to enter the Rolex course, you turn left and go down a VERY NARROW lane, then there is another tight left hand turn just before a pile of tires at the end of a Jersey barrier that separates the traffic on track from the cars coming out of the pits.

You can see in the video that the DP car coming out of the pits to enter the track doesn't make the turn and crashes into the Porsche.

There have been many incidents there when excited drivers coming out of the pits have run into the wall there - usually it's not as dramatic as in the video, usually just a one car crash into the wall.

So.....one tip I have is to take it SLOW as you leave pit row and go around that skinny little lane that leads to the track where you blend with cars already out there. One time around that section is probably enough to make you be careful there, but be careful that first time, and you'll be doing an endurance race, so don't hop in when doing a driver change and come roaring out of there faster than you should!!

Have fun - it's a great track!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-18-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Thanks, Bob. The new AMP north of Atlanta has a fairly tight pit out, too.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 05-19-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Thanks, Bob. The new AMP north of Atlanta has a fairly tight pit out, too.
When will you be in town?

PM sent with my contact info so if you have any time maybe we can get together for dinner while you're here.

Bob
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
The head of the Florida region Hooked on Driving is a forum member, so hopefully Henry will chime in and let us know if the event is still a go in Dec.
Bob
Guys I had not posted a reply to this post regarding the Daytona event as I was still under contract with HOD.
I am no longer involved with them and now can tell you that I will be with Audi at Daytona on December 6-8 under my new company: Performance Driving Group. You will be able to register for this event after Tuesday May 28th at: www.performancedrivinggroup.com
I am still holding events at all the race tracks in Florida and all the staff remains the same.
We look forward to being at Daytona with Audi again this year.
We will once again have a fleet of Corvette's there for our "arrive and drive program". You can contact me for information at: henry@performancedrivinggroup.com or you can call 800 453-5506
Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Henry - thanks for the info!!

I liked your old outfit, but if there was something with being associated with that nationwide organization that was hampering your operation, then I know PDG will be an even better track day organizer!!

PDG - Perormance Driving Group - that just sounds like a group that I want to run with!!!

I'll be checking out your new website and definitely will sign up for all 3 days at Daytona in December!!

Bob
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM
irieman
Racer

Henry, I'm signing up tomorrow as soon as your site is updated.

Quick question. Will weekend garages be available via your website?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

I want to do one of these in my 99 Z28, and I will before long. Daytona is a bucket list item.

I would suspect you would need to come with a brand new set of tires and brake pads all the way around and have some spares with you?

This track looks like it would kill tires and pads.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

First time I ever had my XP12s start to fade during a 30 min session was there. 160mph to 75mph for bus stop turn, 175mph to 60 for infield turn in are two big stops. That being said, I will be there again if car is stil together.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:28 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by waddisme
First time I ever had my XP12s start to fade during a 30 min session was there. 160mph to 75mph for bus stop turn, 175mph to 60 for infield turn in are two big stops. That being said, I will be there again if car is stil together.
I dont know that my barge would run 160...... It ran 140 at NOLA Motorsports Park recently so it might. And mine being 3800lbs will destroy pads. I killed a set of XP20 to the metal in 7.5 sessions my last time at NOLA.

How hard is Daytona on Tires?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irieman
Henry, Will weekend garages be available via your website?
Garages will be on a first come basis at the track. We usually have the Yellow garages on the East side. There has never been a shortage of them, so there should be enough for everyone.

Registration is open at www.performancedrivinggroup.com

Get notified of new replies

To Daytona HPDE

Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Don O.
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pdg

Calm down Bob! Just another reason to go to the track!

Don
Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Don O.
Calm down Bob! Just another reason to go to the track!

Don
Yeah, but I wish there were more events at my "home track"!

Next event will be VIR in 4 weeks - you are gonna be there, aren't you?

C'ya at the track!!

Bob
Old 05-29-2013, 05:40 AM
Don O.
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob can't make it. Did Sebring again last weekend. New clutch and the panoz ran the best ever. We are on our way to Dallas to do the Hot Rod Powertour again this year!

Don

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daytona HPDE