Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Z06 Active handling

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:02 PM
paulrom
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 08 Z06 Active handling

Is there any way to get active handling turned off in a Z that does not have TPMS? My CCW wheels that I use on the track TPM sensors are dead and the AH ruined my day last week and I don't really want to spend the $$ for new sensors. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do some research on here, you'll find lots of info that has been rehashed many many times. Then check the classifieds for the canister setup I'm selling. I'll even sell the scan tool at a good price to go with it.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paulrom
Is there any way to get active handling turned off in a Z that does not have TPMS? My CCW wheels that I use on the track TPM sensors are dead and the AH ruined my day last week and I don't really want to spend the $$ for new sensors. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Just unplug steering wheel position sensor and AH will be off
Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Do some research on here, you'll find lots of info that has been rehashed many many times. Then check the classifieds for the canister setup I'm selling. I'll even sell the scan tool at a good price to go with it.
Originally Posted by krisa9977
Just unplug steering wheel position sensor and AH will be off
I have an 08 and just went through all of this in the past three weeks. If you don't want to purchase more sensors take your street tires to the event and leave them near the car when it is parked in the garage or the paddock. You will get just about a half hour of run time after ignition on before the system detects there are no sensors. When that happens park the car near the street tires and wait until all the sensors are recognized again. If only one of them isn't recognized when you head back on track the car will apply the front brakes in every turn to slow itself down to 55 mph. I put some sensors in a canister and threw it into the cargo compartment but I lost all sensors after a half hour of track time and had to park the car. All the canister does is make it easier to carry the sensors.

After playing around with this setup for a day I pulled the close out panel from under the dash and disconnected the steering sensor connector. Since you have an 08 it will have the recall orange comb already installed from the factory. That comb can be tough to get out. It took about a half hour of monkeying around to get my connector disconnected. What you will see when you start the car is a warning message that the TPMS system needs service followed by a Service Active Handling message if you hit the reset. Push the console button once to turn off Traction Control and reset any other warning messages and you will be ready to use the DIC to monitor oil temp, etc.

If you have your street tires near the car you may not always get the Service TPMS message.

I am looking into a relay for the steering sensor low reference signal so it will be easier to switch it off and on. I don't think you want to unplug and plug the steering sensor too often due to the limited number of cycles the connector pins are spec'd for.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Z06 Active handling

Quick Reply: 08 Z06 Active handling