Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thread length on stock C6Z rear tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thread length on stock C6Z rear tie rods?

Does anyone know how many threads (linear count) are on the stock C6Z rear tie rods (outer end, of course)?

Reason I'm asking is I had to dial them out quite a lot to get 1/8 toe after installing new suspension components.

I have 16 threads exposed from the jam nut to where the threads stop on the rod. I just want to make sure I've not left it with a "tenuous grasp" on the outer thread!

(Yes.. I stupidly didn't disassemble and count myself when I had everything apart... duh.)
Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I don't know but on c5z I have gone 1/2 inch total toe in with no issue. I know of a couple of guys that went beyond that.

The rod ends stayed secure.

I think they usually thread in about an inch or a little more at stock alignment settings.

So a small toe change is only 2-3 threads.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-25-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by McMung
Does anyone know how many threads (linear count) are on the stock C6Z rear tie rods (outer end, of course)?

Reason I'm asking is I had to dial them out quite a lot to get 1/8 toe after installing new suspension components.

I have 16 threads exposed from the jam nut to where the threads stop on the rod. I just want to make sure I've not left it with a "tenuous grasp" on the outer thread!

(Yes.. I stupidly didn't disassemble and count myself when I had everything apart... duh.)
If you have an equal number of threads on both the left side and right side tie rods, I'd think it's ok. If, OTOH, there are significantly more threads than the other, I'd be concerned.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

I recently put a pair of C6 toe links on my C4 suspensions. I had to run the ends out quite a bit to get the length right so I'm betting you're probably okay with C6 geometry. I measured how much thread was on the rods, but I never wrote it down, so I'm sorry I can't give you a number. It's a slight hassle, but you could take yours off and keep track of the turn count so you can assemble it back at the same length.

Edit: Was out under the car doing some exhaust work and I noticed I had "2 1/4" thread" written in soapstone on the lift rail. I did a bunch of shear calculations to make sure I wasn't going to run into any issues when I unthreaded the ends to make the links longer. According to the calculations if you have more than about a half inch of threads in the link you should be okay. I would be very surprised if you had to adjust yours as far out as I had to adjust mine.

Last edited by 69427; 05-25-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

....I have 16 threads exposed from the jam nut to where the threads stop on the rod....
I don't know how many total threads are on the rods, but I just went out and crawled under my '06 Z06.

One side has 11 exposed threads, and the other has 12 - it's been running like that for many thousands of track miles with no problem.

It looks to me like 4 or 5 threads is about 1/4".

I would think that you are perfectly OK with 16 threads showing, but that's just MHO without knowing the total #.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-25-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:01 AM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Thread length on stock C6Z rear tie rods?

Quick Reply: Thread length on stock C6Z rear tie rods?