Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lap and sub belt mounting

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default lap and sub belt mounting

Many of the pics I see on here using the different vendor seat brackets involve the lap and sub belts mounting to the seat brackets themselves either bolt-in or clip in via eye bolts that are attached to the brackets. The end result being that you, your seat, and your safety belts (- shoulders) are attached to the car via the 4 through the floor seat mounting bolts. Mine is currently in this category using Arizen seats and brackets.

I have read that the correct way to do it is for the sub and lap belts to have separate through the floor mounting locations. Obviously need to be mounted to rigid steel components.

I searched a bit and could not find this specific topic anywhere. How are you addressing that? How is a typical T1 etc. race car configured?

c5z here, if that makes a difference.

thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

My sub belts come all the way back to eye bolts that I have just inside of each rear seat post. Those eye bolts go through the floor and though the metal strap that is underneath the car. I have 2"x3" plates inside that channel as a load spreader for each eye bolt.

My lap belts attach to an eyebolt in the tunnel and in the factory belt location on the door side. I had my cage builder reinforce the area in the tunnel so the eyebolt on that side was supported and strengthened.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

All you need to know is here. If you want to know why ask back here and I can answer some stuff. The key will be trying to set your car up to meet these goals. It is possible. But start here first.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...&zoom=auto,0,0
Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
All you need to know is here. If you want to know why ask back here and I can answer some stuff. The key will be trying to set your car up to meet these goals. It is possible. But start here first.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...&zoom=auto,0,0
I used the information in the link shown to determine where to mount my lap belts. They are attached to the rear of the Hardbar seat rails on OEM Chrysler seat belt bolts that allow the lap belt to swivel. They run at about a 45 degree angle to my lap. The belts feed directly along the seat and through the belt pass through. I have pull up belts so I have the adjusters set so they are inside the seat and a little on top of my legs when tight. That way they won't catch on the edge of the seat and release if my body is shoved forward in an impact.

Bill
Old 06-06-2013, 01:19 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

p23 and p50 show the proper anti-sub belt anchor point.
The floor is unbelievably flimsy there, in terms of an anchor point, so you will need to either add metal under the car or remove the flooring and weld in a support from the rail to the trans tunnel.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:58 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I mounted mine all on my Hardbar seat bracket. Not sure if that is the best way or not but I remember reading a thread where a guy had crashed his car badly and the seat bracket was one of the things that hadn't caved. They are top notch.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I mounted mine all on my Hardbar seat bracket. Not sure if that is the best way or not but I remember reading a thread where a guy had crashed his car badly and the seat bracket was one of the things that hadn't caved. They are top notch.
I did the same. Nice thing is the bracket is a sturdy piece of equipment and it is fastened to the only crash tested seat mounts in the cockpit.

Bill
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hardbar as well. Just make sure your sub belts can reach that far back.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

interesting feedback. I was thinking that even if you fabbed steel supports underneath, they would not of course have gone through any testing. part of what I was wondering was is there some standard way to do that for SCCA etc. racecars. maybe for peace of mind I look for a sturdier seat bracket.

on the other hand, I am driving a relatively stock c5z in HPDE mode with no cage, so how important is this particluar topic. not sure.

Get notified of new replies

To lap and sub belt mounting

Quick Reply: lap and sub belt mounting