Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very first Autox coming up on Father's day!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very first Autox coming up on Father's day!

I've always wanted to participate in some sort of motorsports involving cornering (ie NOT dragracing). For Father's day I'll be taking my new to me C4 corvette to my first ever Autox with the Capital City Driving Club. I'd welcome any advice, C4 specific, newbie specific or otherwise!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Walk the course 3 times if possible and do the novice walk if there is one.
Don't be concerned with ur times, just try be smooth, constantly look ahead for the next set of gates or cones and most of all, have fun.
U can start thinking about the next level the more events U run.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Smooth inputs, and have fun! CDC is a great group.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Awesome. Thanks guys. Looks like this event I can sign up for 2 slots! 12 runs it is!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here's some good reading and tips for first time autocrossers.

While most of it geared towards SCCA events, most all associations have similar rules and procedures. Don't be afraid to ask questions; tell them you are a novice and would like some suggestions.

Make sure your car is empty of everything that is loose; floormats, cell phones, GPS, cups, and anything that could fly around. Your car will have to go thru a quick tech inspection. They will be looking for stuff like oil or coolant leaks, at least 2/32" of tread, no excessive play in the hubs, and a properly tied down battery. Won't hurt to check lugnut torque the day before the event.

Walk the course as much as possible and keep a course map with you. Use the map as a guide for walking and fold it up and stuff it in a pocket. You can review it while you're waiting in grid for you r next run. Go slow at first and learn the course. Faster comes later after you have had a few runs.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 AM
jmartynuska
Instructor

If there are instructors available, use them. Have them ride with you, and try to get a ride along with them. A "picture" is worth a thousand words.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jmartynuska
If there are instructors available, use them. Have them ride with you, and try to get a ride along with them. A "picture" is worth a thousand words.
THIS, particularly the ride along, and have fun. The latter won't be hard to do.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,391 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartynuska
+1000, Get help however much you can. I had an instructor ride with me every event the first year, then at least every other event for the next few years, and still now, just to keep me from getting bad habits.

Welcome to the nuthouse!
Mike
Old 06-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. I plan on following it. I've thrown myself at the mercy of the club. Here goes nuttin'!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

THAT WAS AWESOME!

My first heat first run I ran a 49.27. I was mostly concerned with not getting lost. The rest of the heat (two more runs) I got steadily faster 46.03 and 45.27. Second half of the first heat an instructor took the wheel with me riding shotgun. Talk about a wake up call. The car stayed in what felt like a constant slide as he drove my car harder than I ever had. three run later he had posted a fast time as 40.46. For the next heat I was now armed with perspective and I felt confident I knew my way around the course. My second run in heat 2 I posted my fastest time of 41.88. Throughout the rest of the day I worked to find the second and a half that would put me even with the instructor but my only reward were times that were consistently in the 42's. The fastest raw time of the day was set in a Cobra kit car on race tires at 34 seconds flat.

Over all I'm very happy with my driving Sunday. I believe I was the quickest "FNG" out there. I beat cars I think of as faster in this application (911, Mitsubishi Evo, Impreza STi) Needless to say I'm officially hooked. I'm looking at an extra set of wheels and tires. The Continental DWS's are showing significant wear after Sunday and from what I understand they're not the best street tire choice for autocross. I'm also researching more aggressive alignment numbers. She also got quite hot with the temperature needle swinging much closer to the high limit then I would have liked. I believe however mods are going to be secondary to seat time at this point to make me faster.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I enjoyed hearing about your first event.

I'm an autocross novice myself. My first event was just 4 runs, so I took and instructor on most of them, and had him drive my car for one (which didn't count towards my 4). For my second autocross outing, I went to a charity practice event 2 weeks ago....got about 30 runs in....and I really felt that the sheer quantity of runs really helped me. The instructor I had on my first event was great, but there was so much information to take in, and so little time to apply it. I scribbled some notes in my iPhone, and then worked on those weak spots in the practice event....times improved and I started to see some consistency.

Started the day at 41, was consistently in the low 38s after several runs. But still the Miatas were beating me...so I grabbed one of the Miata guys I had chatted with during registration and asked if he'd mind riding along with me and sharing his thoughts. We ended up doing 2 laps in his car first, and he was driving the course way different than I was...much tighter and a bit slower in a few of the turns where the Vette torque allowed me to arrive much faster (but alas, probably too fast). I then had him ride with me, and I tried to drive the course tighter, and slowed the heck down....lap times dropped another second...and my 3rd run with him I got my best time of the day (36.7). After lunch, I just relaxed and turned on the radio. Found consistency in the low 37s the rest of the day (although there was one turn that I had a problem with understeer that I never figured out, so I was leaving some time out there).

Anyway, the sheer quantity of runs, coupled with some experience with a different type of car really helped me at this early stage of this endeavor. Like you, "I'm hooked!" I'm signed up for an event this weekend and really looking forward to it. I'm planning on grabbing an instructor when I can and working on some new weak spots I've identified. I'm not competitive yet, but I'm soaking up information like a sponge.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bicyclewrench
THAT WAS AWESOME!

My first heat first run I ran a 49.27. I was mostly concerned with not getting lost. The rest of the heat (two more runs) I got steadily faster 46.03 and 45.27. Second half of the first heat an instructor took the wheel with me riding shotgun. Talk about a wake up call. The car stayed in what felt like a constant slide as he drove my car harder than I ever had. three run later he had posted a fast time as 40.46. For the next heat I was now armed with perspective and I felt confident I knew my way around the course. My second run in heat 2 I posted my fastest time of 41.88. Throughout the rest of the day I worked to find the second and a half that would put me even with the instructor but my only reward were times that were consistently in the 42's. The fastest raw time of the day was set in a Cobra kit car on race tires at 34 seconds flat.

Over all I'm very happy with my driving Sunday. I believe I was the quickest "FNG" out there. I beat cars I think of as faster in this application (911, Mitsubishi Evo, Impreza STi) Needless to say I'm officially hooked. I'm looking at an extra set of wheels and tires. The Continental DWS's are showing significant wear after Sunday and from what I understand they're not the best street tire choice for autocross. I'm also researching more aggressive alignment numbers. She also got quite hot with the temperature needle swinging much closer to the high limit then I would have liked. I believe however mods are going to be secondary to seat time at this point to make me faster.
And it starts!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE what they call offset chutes. At higher speeds 40+ these are SO much fun. My C4 changes direction on command and adapts very slight drift angles thru them. I can flat haul *** thru those things. That on the edge feeling never gets old.

IN all seriousness guys, Evolution Performance Driving school. Its some $$$, but TOTALLY worth it. You get in your car with guys like Jinx Jordon and Andy Holis and they teach you how to go fast. It works!!!

Last edited by 93Rubie; 06-19-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Checked out Evolution. I'd spend the money but it looks like nothing near by for now. Also where can I go faster than autox without being on a track with a bunch of win happy hardheads who could give a **** I'm making a payment on my car?

I feel I just put my foot down at the top of a very slippery slope. Is there a charity that helps underpaid bicycle mechanics keep racing? Currently soliciting donations for updated seating, tires, a harness bar and SCCA membership.

Get notified of new replies

To Very first Autox coming up on Father's day!

Quick Reply: Very first Autox coming up on Father's day!