Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Am 2013 Round Four

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:09 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Trans Am 2013 Round Four

Round Four of the 2013 Trans Series is being held at Watkins Glen this weekend, a track I like.

The first two sessions on Friday were in fairly wet conditions, with the best of the day the early one. I was second fastest in that session, but everyone was way off the pace.

Saturday looked like we'd have qualifying rained out and starting positions determined by season points. But we were able to get the session in, and truthfully we really didn't see rain after 10 AM.

I was gridded second because of lap times in practice and took off on the second lap. My first lap was a good one. I was just hoping to be in the top 5, but my crew chief came on the radio and told me "P2." I wasn't even pushing the car hard, so I knew the next lap would be a good one. It was, getting me the pole for the moment.

Lap 4 started with me loosing the pole, but I had some more in me. I nipped it on lap 4, ran another lap that was a bit sloppy, and then brought the car in to the pits.

I then waited as Paul Fix and Doug Peterson ran more laps. I could see the track scoreboard and watched intently every time someone would pass the start/finish line. Seeing my "#57" on the pole was so cool, but waiting for the session to be checkered was nerve wracking. It felt like Indy.

We let out a big yell when the session was over and the Kryderacing/WRP Investments Corvette had the pole. What a feeling!

Here is the article from the gotransam.com website:

David Pintaric, Trans Am Watkins Glen pole setter. If you were to ask Pintaric, he’d tell you those were words he dreamed about as a fan, racing fantasies played out in his head again and again; thinking that one day Pintaric would be next to Kendall, Sharp, Schroeder, Tullius and Donohue. And that is what is was, a dream—at least until today. Unlike other racing fans Pintaric finds himself in an interesting position—his dream came true.

“It’s overwhelming,” Pintaric said. “To put my name as a winner of a pole, considering all the people who have come before me, it’s overwhelming.”

Pintaric set a time of 1:50.141 in the #57 Kryderacing/WRP Investments Chevrolet Corvette just beating out Paul Fix and the #4 StopFlex/Beebe Racing/PME/Lamers Chevrolet Corvette, who timed in at 1:50.161. Pintaric’s time was just two tenths of a second off of the track record.

“The gap between Paul and I, that just shows the quality of the competition,” Pintaric said. “It makes you feel like you earned something. The closer the times are the more rewarding it is.”

Pintaric has finished fourth in the last two Trans Am races, just missing out on podium. He sees Watkins Glen as an opportunity to break into the top three.

“I like this track a lot. I’ve raced here countless times; I’ve had success in the dry, success in the wet—but I’m going to let the race come to me. It’s 100 miles. A lot of things can happen. Patience is going to be key—we’ll see what happens.”

Following Pintaric was the Tony Ave Racing duo of Paul Fix, winner of round three at Lime Rock, and Doug Peterson, current TA point leader and driver of the #87 3Dimensional.com Chevrolet Corvette. It only seemed fitting that a car built by Tony Ave Racing edged out Fix and Peterson, who also drive Tony Ave Racing cars; and while Ave may have stepped back from the race track for the time being, he will not be arguing with his impact on the TA class.

Bob Stretch, driver of the #98 Wheels America/ Fix Rim Mobile Chevrolet Camaro, picked up right where he left off at Lime Rock, where he won the race outright. Come the Trans Am Race tomorrow at 3:15 p.m. EST, Stretch will find himself in starting position for the TA2 class—a position in which one would expect a two-time defending Champion to be—all while setting at TA2 qualifying record time of 1:56.019 and beating out the rest of the 15 car TA2 field.

While the year has not started ideally for Stretch, he currently sits 26 points behind TA2 point leader Cameron Lawrence; but if he can use his starting position to his advantage come race day to replicate his result at Lime Rock, he could be well on his way towards the top of the point table in his pursuit of a third straight TA2 title.

Cameron Lawrence will not be quick to relinquish his lead; he’s yet to miss a podium and will have his #11 Ctek/Motorstate/NorthStar Battery Chevrolet Camaro in second position for the TA2 class behind Stretch tomorrow. Following Lawrence will be Trans Am veteran, and teammate, Pete Halsmer in the #12 Ctek/Motorstate/NorthStar Battery Chevrolet Camaro. The Miller Racing duo will likely be pressuring Stretch for the duration of the race; but if anyone can hold up to that pressure, it is the two-time defending Champion.

In TA3, Lime Rock winner David Seuss found himself surrounded by competition, facing down a fresh contingent of Trans Am rookies in TA3 Mustangs and proved himself able to hold his own. Seuss and the #9 Northern Light/ Porsche 996 GT3 set the best time in the production-based class with a 2:05:555.

“I’ve got to tell you, I just love this track,” Seuss said. “You really charge every turn here; you go in, you get your braking done early, then you put both feet into the accelerator and press as hard you can. That’s how you drive Watkins Glen. It’s just a really fun track.”

Seuss was also glad to see the addition competition in the TA3 class.

“The turn out in TA3 here is just fantastic, Seuss said. “I remember when Trans Am was just being revitalized by this ownership group; the first race didn’t have a great turn out—but now look at it, we have 33 cars this weekend. I see TA3 as being in that same position. This is the first time we’ve really put together a good field; and once we get together that critical mass of regulars, I think you’re going to see this class really take off.”

Following Seuss was the #37 JOMAC Bodies and Cranes/Debs Peppers Ford Mustang of Rich Jones and the #17 XLR8Diesel Trucks/SKS Equipment Ford Mustang of Steve Kent, Jr. Both are rookies to Trans Am, participating in their first race, but both drivers were only separated by three-hundredths of a second in qualifying, setting up for what should be an interesting TA3 race.

The 33 car Trans Am field takes to the historic course at Watkins Glen tomorrow at 3:15 p.m. EST for Round Four of the 2013 Trans Am Series.
Now I have the race tomorrow. Sleep will be tough to come by tonight.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Great drive to P1!

Good luck tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Niiiiiiiice!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:38 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Default The Corvette Forum's on the pole at The Glen!

Congratulations on your pole at The Glen! It was a great run, and it was fun watching you and Paul Fix, trade the pole back and forth.

Dave, I appreciate you taking the time to speak to us this afternoon.

Here's a picture of Dave on his pole run. I have pictures of the other Corvettes entered, along with the ones participating in the SVRA vintage races, but the internet speed in my hotel is very slooooow. I'll post up more pics, from home Sunday night or Monday.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish they had live streaming.

Here is the live timing link for anyone that is following.
http://www.gotransam.com/live-timing-and-scoring/
Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VIdeo
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Can't go into too much detail right now, but I had a disappointing result yesterday. The transmission broke while leading the race. It likely isn't an expensive part, but the emotional cost involved is substantial...

Video from qualifying and my shortened race to follow...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I'm sorry to here about your problems, that really sucks!

I didn't get to stay for the race, as I was at the mercy of someone else. I was being paid to transport a vintage racer, and didn't have the option of staying.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear you weren't wrecked or something like that. Mechanical failures are a part of life we often can't control.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear of your tranny issues....but a GREAT drive nonetheless...congrats!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:04 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what sucked is that Dave jumped out to a substantial lead on the start and was looking very fast..i was watching from the esses he was really hitting his marks and his car was very strong up the hill...rest assured his first victory is very near.....
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry to hear. TA field better be on their toes next race!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Here's my four laps of the race...

Video of the qualifying session to follow.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

My qualifying effort:

Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

David, great job on the pole, that is really really amazing! How did your lap compare to any track records in GT1 or TA?? Sorry about your tranny! that's racing though... at least what I am used to! Our new built LS7 blew up after 4 laps of testing at RA on Monday!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

My lap is about 2 tens off the Trans Am record, and about 1 tenth faster than the GT1 mark.

I was shocked when my crew told me on the radio I was on pole. I was hoping for a top 5 starting spot. I actually asked Tony Ave if his two drivers were "holding back." he jsut laughed at me.

Truthfully, there's lots more time in those laps. I really wasn't pushing the car hard at all. Plus the setup was designed more for long runs (ie 100 miles) than a short qualifying run.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans Am 2013 Round Four

Quick Reply: Trans Am 2013 Round Four