Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCCAR vs VIR

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default NCCAR vs VIR

I've registered to participate in the Open Track Day at NCCAR on Aug. 3, 2013. I have entered the "B" Class (80+ mph) for this event, (wave around passing in designated areas.)

I've tracked my '04 Coupe three times at VIR: two HPDEs for NASA and a couple of sessions of parade laps at this year's Open House.

Though tame by some standards, I'm sure, I have reached a top speed of 111 on the back straight at VIR on an HPDE, and 105 on one of the parade laps.

What can I expect to be the same/different between the two tracks relative to my experiences at VIR?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Nothing. VIR is a world class race track. NCCAR is an automotive test track. The levels of grip between the two are quite different and NCCAR has several "skid pads" in the course configuration for testing vehicle dynamics.

NCCAR is worth doing once or twice and is great for a newbie to learn lateral dynamics and control.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Nothing. VIR is a world class race track. NCCAR is an automotive test track. The levels of grip between the two are quite different and NCCAR has several "skid pads" in the course configuration for testing vehicle dynamics.

NCCAR is worth doing once or twice and is great for a newbie to learn lateral dynamics and control.
Also - Rotate your tires at lunch each day you are out there.
It will chew up your tires because of the "skid pad" nature of the track.

111 on the back stretch at VIR???
Keep your foot on the gas! My v6 Camaro with the from the factory hard tires will easily hit the speed limiter of 118
Old 06-09-2013, 11:11 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Also - Rotate your tires at lunch each day you are out there. It will chew up your tires because of the "skid pad" nature of the track.
Would that I could with my C5. But seriously, this is my daily driver and I only wanted to have a little fun - I don't want to knock 10k miles off my tires. Should I drop back to Class A on this, my first visit to NCCAR??

Originally Posted by jaa1992
111 on the back stretch at VIR???
Keep your foot on the gas! My v6 Camaro with the from the factory hard tires will easily hit the speed limiter of 118
Hey, I told you it would be tame to some! I probably would have gone faster, but not being very familiar with VIR, I wasn't sure what was beyond that hill.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:34 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You can rotate tires from left to right. If it is dry weather, the directional nature of the treadblocks means nothing.

Get one of us in the C5Mafia to instruct you... you'll be topping "that hill" at 145 with your foot to the floor in no time.

Last edited by brkntrxn; 06-09-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:22 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can rotate tires from left to right. If it is dry weather, the directional nature of the treadblocks means nothing.

Get one of us in the C5Mafia to instruct you... you'll be topping "that hill" at 145 with your foot to the floor in no time.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

It takes a while to get used to the speed the first few times at the track. Just be sure to look way ahead of the car and concentrate on the 'braking point'. Soon, you will forget about speed and start focusing on points of the track - braking, turn in, apex, track out. A good instructor, as mentioned above, will have you comfortable and fast in short order. Take a ride with an instructor that is very familiar with the track and can show you the driving line. When learning a track like VIR, it is best to break it up into 3 sections of turns to commit it to memory. The instructor will keep you on the track while you learn the first group, then the second and, at the end of the day, the third group. When you get tired, come in and review the track map and go over it in your mind. You will soon realize that speed doesn't even come into the picture - only car balance, driving line and lap times.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

My first HPDE at VIR was great. My instructor was from my club, and gently guided me around the track: "OK, you're gonna want to begin your turn ... Now."

My second HPDE at VIR was a pain. Here's the instructor: "Brake brake brake brake! Turn turn turn turn! Gas gas gas gas!" Afterwards, I thought, "Man, that was a lot of work." Then I remembered this was supposed to be fun - not work.

I took the attitude of, "been there, done that, I'm done." But then the parade laps came up a few weeks ago and I was back on track, (pun intended.)

So now this NCCAR is coming up and I was expecting it to be like VIR, but from the tone of this thread, I'm realizing I'm more of a novice than I'd like to believe.

At least I'm not a quitter.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCCAR reminds me more of Roebling Road than anywhere else - flat with wide sweeping turns. You will get the feel of the lateral G's in gentle flowing turns. You will enjoy it, believe me. Just listen to the instructor and pay attention to the line. Don't let the speed dictate the line - the line dictates the speed. Stay on line and build your speed slowly. However, one does not have to be faster with each lap. You will build confidence with consistency. Just learn the line, stay on the line and let the speed increase as you are comfortable. And, you are right, first and foremost it is supposed to be lots of fun. If your instructor is pushing you beyond your limits of fun, tell him/her. If you still get uncomfortable, request another instructor. There is no problem at all in that. Have fun.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Last year there were no instructors so I don't know if that changed this year...so you're solo and can run at your own pace...passing was restricted to the front straight last year as I recall...nice group of folks, no pressure...It'll be a fun day....

Its a WIDE track with just the 1 front straight away, I hit 127 on it, more there but Turn 1 looks intimidating as ya close on it....

For novices like us I've been running my street tires without any issues, done 2 events there so far this year and tires have been fine...

Aug will be something like my 5th time there, Sat I ran with Asphalt Adventures and had an instructor for the 1st time at that track and of course learned a few things...

As it gets nearer keep in touch and maybe we can cruise up there together...I'm in Youngsville....
Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

To both.
If you rotate your tires left to right at lunch at NCCAR you'll spread the wear out.

After we find the way around the VIR track and have everything thru Oak Tree settled that back stretch and the left right combo are the next things to tackle. Even if you "don't lift and don't brake" on the downhill you'll be improving.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a video of my first time there. No track record by any means but a lot of fun. I understand the track runs clockwise or counterclockwise according to the track day wishes.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

^^^^

Hey Artie, thanks for posting this......

Pretty much verifies the line my instructor showed me Sat...only 2 differences
> On the #7 the big loop he had me start further out and let the turn drift me to center track about midway through which ended me in the same place as you on exit.
> #5 again came at that from outside and cut across track to hit that corner.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oh1vette
^^^^

Hey Artie, thanks for posting this......

Pretty much verifies the line my instructor showed me Sat...only 2 differences
> On the #7 the big loop he had me start further out and let the turn drift me to center track about midway through which ended me in the same place as you on exit.
> #5 again came at that from outside and cut across track to hit that corner.
Is your son driving the track, too?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:05 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

No, he's got that S2k vert, no rollbar....does have a hardtop we're getting ready to get painted and installed soon, so maybe someday...

And I'm almost ashamed to say he's into that lowered/camber/drift stuff hahahaha....

BUT, he still remembers that ride along with you at ViR w/ 10/10ths, we were just reminiscing about that this past weekend!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my CTS-V at NCCAR:

The really long sweeper is what concerns me with the track. It's hell on the oiling system.

And the Corvette's little "shakedown" just to test everything out.

Last edited by Black89Z51; 06-14-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

No vids...

Get notified of new replies

To NCCAR vs VIR

Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oh1vette
No vids...
I couldn't see the videos either. Can you repost or provide links?

Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fixed. I guess you don't have to add the YouTube tags anymore to embed.

Tricky internet.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
Fixed. I guess you don't have to add the YouTube tags anymore to embed.

Tricky internet.
Great vids! What was the purpose of the cones on the straight?

Quick Reply: NCCAR vs VIR