Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 AM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Brake Questions

I have a 2011 Grand Sport. Starting to autocross maybe 8-10 times a year. (Newbie) What would be a good recommendation on brake pads and rotors. Some guys have told me to get away from the drilled brakes.????
Also I wanna go to a 1 piece pad. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Shannon
Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I just did a column on brake pads for Vintage Motorsport magazine. You need to talk to the brake pad companies but you also need to be prepared to answer some questions. They need to know about your car (and you) before they can make a recommendation.

Drilled brake rotors are a cosmetic item. They crack if you use them on the track. Ask the pad companies if they have any suggestions regarding brake rotors. I also did a column on brake rotors last year.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 06-11-2013, 03:16 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HrtGuy
I have a 2011 Grand Sport. Starting to autocross maybe 8-10 times a year. (Newbie) What would be a good recommendation on brake pads and rotors. Some guys have told me to get away from the drilled brakes.????
Also I wanna go to a 1 piece pad. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Shannon
Carbotech pads (ask CarbotechAdam which pads are right for you) + centric blank or slotted rotors. Centric rotors aren't much more than the cheap napa blanks and the napas seem to pop a lot if you are hard on them.

Drilled rotors are for looks. Not as strong as slotted or blank rotors.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I would be happy to help you, I have some questions for you below. As far as rotors Centric premium blanks or Dba 4000 series will be your best bet. The Dba is a lot more $$$ than the Centric.

What tires will you be using?

Do you mind noise and dust?

Are you leaving this pad on as a dual purpose pad street and Autox?

Do you ever plan to do a track day?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Also consider Cobalt Pads, they were one of the first to make a one piece pad for the stock C6-Z06 caliper. They make a great product. And there is no bedding. JD
Old 06-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: Here are some threads that you may like: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ad-wear-2.html post# 25 & http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...necessary.html & http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...t3-rotors.html
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks everyone. Are there coolers that you can buy for cooling the brakes. Hope its not a stupid question. Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Are there coolers that you can buy for cooling the brakes. Hope its not a stupid question. Thanks again.

You can buy air ducts spindles that connect the stock brake air ducts directly to your rotor/calipers.......to keep brake fluid from boiling..

You can buy titanium shims to keep brake fluid from boiling..

You can buy different brake pistons to keep the brake fluid from boiling..

You can use Castrol SRF brake fluid that is very resistant to boiling.

Tom

You can use the stock rotors....I used them for a few years and they worked good....

I your not planning on switching them out back and forth then just use your stock pads until they wear out...........You can go with Carbotechs advice for upgrading once you gain experience...

Last edited by trapp; 06-12-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Questions

Quick Reply: Brake Questions