Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged ZO6 - Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Supercharged ZO6 - Cooling

So I took my ZO6 (Vortch v3-Si, forged LS6, 630rwhp) to Mid America for my first time ever doing a Road Race event. The car did extremely well. Lots of grip and plenty of opportunities to use the power. I'm hooked, as I knew I would be.

During that event, it was cool and rained a lot. During some of the dry sessions, we were really able to pick up the pace. I did notice, of course, that Engine Oil Temps rose to 263* after several laps of running it hard. We backed off at that point and began to short shift and stayed in 4th and 5th gear most of the time, only seeing temps as high as 253*.

From what I've read, this isn't terrible. I'm sure I wasn't pushing the car as hard as others may be doing either. However, I'd like to get ahead of the issue before it gets much hotter out and I have a real problem. I need an oil cooler! I've looked at a lot of he kits, and I think getting a Setrab cooler and adapter with a thermostat seems to be the way to go.

Here's my thought... I was thinking about placing it behind the license plate area. Cutting that portion out and installing it in there so air blows directly into it. I'll just make a mesh screen right where e cutout is. I've read that a lot of people have issues with engine getting up to operating temp on the street, so I'm thinking I could leave it so that I can put my license plate back on with the stock cover when I'm not at the track. Hopefully, this will be enough to block the cooler and let temps get where they need to be.

What are your thoughts on this?

Any additional input or advice?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy if my oil temps are 270 by the end of a session. I have Ron Davis radiator with oil cooler and that has dropped oil temps about 25 degrees. I was hitting almost 300 before. I'd consider a solution like that.

If you mostly street drive your car some people will suggest a dedicated oil cooler doesn't let the oil reach ideal temps for street driving.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
So I took my ZO6 (Vortch v3-Si, forged LS6, 630rwhp) to Mid America for my first time ever doing a Road Race event. The car did extremely well. Lots of grip and plenty of opportunities to use the power. I'm hooked, as I knew I would be.

During that event, it was cool and rained a lot. During some of the dry sessions, we were really able to pick up the pace. I did notice, of course, that Engine Oil Temps rose to 263* after several laps of running it hard. We backed off at that point and began to short shift and stayed in 4th and 5th gear most of the time, only seeing temps as high as 253*.

From what I've read, this isn't terrible. I'm sure I wasn't pushing the car as hard as others may be doing either. However, I'd like to get ahead of the issue before it gets much hotter out and I have a real problem. I need an oil cooler! I've looked at a lot of he kits, and I think getting a Setrab cooler and adapter with a thermostat seems to be the way to go.

Here's my thought... I was thinking about placing it behind the license plate area. Cutting that portion out and installing it in there so air blows directly into it. I'll just make a mesh screen right where e cutout is. I've read that a lot of people have issues with engine getting up to operating temp on the street, so I'm thinking I could leave it so that I can put my license plate back on with the stock cover when I'm not at the track. Hopefully, this will be enough to block the cooler and let temps get where they need to be.

What are your thoughts on this?

Any additional input or advice?

I have messed with the thickness of the oil...which has helped..
I have deleted the fog lights and added duel oil coolers behind the fog light holes...which has helped.
I went to a louvered hood with has helped
I am adding a double pass radiator this week to see if I can get better temps on the track..

I ran 30 minute session with a procharger (575RWHP) and got temps of 270 by end of session....that is a lot better then before. I was hitting those temps on 15 minutes before. On 20 minutes sessions I get 245 temps on the oil...........
Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Hmm, behind the fogs is a very clever idea. I like it.

How much of an oil pressure drop did you notice using the two oil coolers?

Which coolers did you go with?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:07 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Hmm, behind the fogs is a very clever idea. I like it.

How much of an oil pressure drop did you notice using the two oil coolers?

Which coolers did you go with?
I put two 9x11 B&M oil coolers up front..I replaced the foglight with black wire mesh.

No oil pressure drop at all........

Breathless performance makes a kit that is pretty $$$$...
Old 06-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

The BPP kit is exactly what I had in mind. It also looks MUCH larger than any of the other oil coolers I've seen. I'd pay the premium IF it's truly that much more effective.

Problem I am seeing is how to properly drain the oil cooler when doing oil changes. How do you guys accomplish this?

Wonder hw much of a pressure drop it might be..

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 06-12-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:27 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

The BPP kit is exactly what I had in mind. It also looks MUCH larger than any of the other oil coolers I've seen. I'd pay the premium IF it's truly that much more effective.

Problem I am seeing is how to properly drain the oil cooler when doing oil changes. How do you guys accomplish this?

Wonder hw much of a pressure drop it might be..
The claims Breathless Performance is making is on a normally aspirated car..............a supercharged car....I highly doubt your going to see the temp drop they are claiming......
Old 06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trapp can you post up pics of what you've done??? I would think the pressure drop associated with two coolers and the additional plumbing would be significant.......
Old 06-13-2013, 08:19 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GOTHAM VETTE
Trapp can you post up pics of what you've done??? I would think the pressure drop associated with two coolers and the additional plumbing would be significant.......
I have none that show the internals due to the wheel well being put back after install. I will see what I can get.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged ZO6 - Cooling

Quick Reply: Supercharged ZO6 - Cooling