Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo R888s

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM
WSIRFan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyo R888s

Anyone have any comments on these for track use?
I'm driving to the Midwest for an event at Road America and need something that will work OK in rain during the trip, but will perform for three track days. I've run Nitto NT-01s, but they don't like rain at all.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I used one set of them and decided never again - didn't like them. I didn't like the feel or feedback and didn't think they had all that much grip for a R-comp. Never used them in rain though.

Over the years since this tire came out I'd say its probably the most polarizing R-comp out there - people seem to either love them or hate them.

For the type of use you describe I'd rather have the Nitto NT555RII or Toyo RA1 or maybe wait for the new BFG Rival (although its more of a street tire).

Last edited by argonaut; 06-18-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I guess I'm on the love them side. I've run them since they came out and in my book they're the best HPDE tire out there if you're not going to run Hoosiers or the like. I found the 888s to provide much better feed back and response than the 555s which I thought were too twitchy on the high speed turns.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I don't think they are all that bad. They still take a lot of negative camber or you will cord the outside edges pretty quick. Just like a Hoosier or most any other R compound tire. Not sure how well they do in the rain since I haven't run in the rain with them but I suspect they might not do all that well in a downpour the tread looks aggressive but it doesn't give much of a path for the water to travel from under the tire. Half of the tread closes off before it reaches the edge and the other half has a narrow bend in it that might restrict the flow somewhat. The only way to know is to float them into an inch deep puddle of water at about 70 or 80 mph and see if you can get through.

Bill
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 PM
sleeperstyle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ran them in the rain at thunderbolt- i thought they did well in the rain, not well in any standing water however i am not sure any racing tire does well in standing water.. they drive fine (highway) in the rain also, again not good in standing water..

i am torn on how they grip, the second day on them was dry.. i have no other sticky tires to compare them to as i am relatively new to tracking my c5 (10 track days), but i will say they did not grip as well as i expected them to, or maybe i was pushing them too hard and expecting more than what the tire will do. i also have to get my alignment sorted out-

more negative camber in the rear (all i could get was -.5 on the left, now i have the pfadt camber kit so aiming for -1.2 to -1.5 once i get re-aligned friday) and a touch more in the front (was at -1.9 might go to -2.1 or so) and i am running at lightning this weekend. i'll let you know for sure if i like them or not

Last edited by sleeperstyle; 06-18-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

I'm trying them for DEs this year but don't like them as much as the RA1s I ran a few years ago. They don't have the grip that the RA1s have, but I am getting very good tread life out of them. They are OK in light rain. After I cord them, I'm going to try NT-01s which many of my track friends are running and swear by them. I spoke with several guys at CMP last weekend that had R888s on and all said they are going back to NT-01s.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I've run 3 sets for street / track duty (include rain use on both fronts) and have found them to be a good compromise tire. You're not going to set any records, but they're predictable and have good life.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
just ran them in the rain at thunderbolt- i thought they did well in the rain, not well in any standing water however i am not sure any racing tire does well in standing water.. they drive fine (highway) in the rain also, again not good in standing water..

i am torn on how they grip, the second day on them was dry.. i have no other sticky tires to compare them to as i am relatively new to tracking my c5 (10 track days), but i will say they did not grip as well as i expected them to, or maybe i was pushing them too hard and expecting more than what the tire will do. i also have to get my alignment sorted out-

more negative camber in the rear (all i could get was -.5 on the left, now i have the pfadt camber kit so aiming for -1.2 to -1.5 once i get re-aligned friday) and a touch more in the front (was at -1.9 might go to -2.1 or so) and i am running at lightning this weekend. i'll let you know for sure if i like them or not
Will you be there with Trackdaze? I'll be instructing. Hope to see you there!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM
sleeperstyle
Instructor

yes trackdaze, solo. i am in a white c5 with blue/red stripes.. see you there.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 PM
GT Racing Tires
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you planning on running the R888's shaved? If it's hot and they are not shaved it is very easy to destroy them if you are a aggressive driver. What are the dates? I don't remember seeing them on the schedule.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM
WSIRFan
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT Racing Tires
Are you planning on running the R888's shaved? If it's hot and they are not shaved it is very easy to destroy them if you are a aggressive driver. What are the dates? I don't remember seeing them on the schedule.
Sept 27-29 with BMW CCA. I wouldn't consider them, but you people actually have WEATHER back there! How inconvenient.
I've gone through one set of your Pirelli takeoffs back here. I got 3 full track days before they went off. Can't beat the bang for the buck. I still have a set of the Continentals awaiting some play time.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
von zoom
Instructor

I have been running them, seven events and find them okay. No problem.
I trailer my car to the track, so no high way driving. I would not trust them in the rain. At VIR, the car is really tail happy when wet, so I sit out until the track begins to show signs of drying.
vz
Old 06-19-2013, 03:44 PM
GT Racing Tires
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WSIRFan
Sept 27-29 with BMW CCA. I wouldn't consider them, but you people actually have WEATHER back there! How inconvenient.
I've gone through one set of your Pirelli takeoffs back here. I got 3 full track days before they went off. Can't beat the bang for the buck. I still have a set of the Continentals awaiting some play time.
The good news is, The weather is usually very nice for that event. We will be there as well. See you then.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:52 PM
WSIRFan
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT Racing Tires
The good news is, The weather is usually very nice for that event. We will be there as well. See you then.
I should be easy to find. A silver C5 Z06 with California plates. I'm just driving on Friday to learn the track, then instructing Saturday & Sunday. I probably won't be real hard on the tires since it will be my first time on Road America.

Get notified of new replies

To Toyo R888s

Quick Reply: Toyo R888s