Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet mufflers inserts with low restriction??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Quiet mufflers inserts with low restriction??

I would like to run the car at Lime Rock. But track has an 86 db sound limit (basically a muffled car).

I have sidepipe headers. The car runs best with the Max Flows inserts. The quiet mufflers inserts were so restrictive and built so much pressure they sidepipes would separate from the headers under throttle.

I called Burns Stainless (http://www.burnsstainless.com/) and they can make a custom sidepipe. Bigger diameter and custom insert. But even they admit, getting to 86 db with low restriction is a challenge.

So I figured I just check here to see if anyone else ran across this issue and if they were able to solve it. The car has a 383 motor.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

86db at a race track? Holy crap. I think even my ole '89 chevy truck has got to be louder than that. Well good luck, I'm sure someone here has to run at Lime Rock from time to time that'll have some good muffler advice.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Originally Posted by shakedown067
86db at a race track? Holy crap. I think even my ole '89 chevy truck has got to be louder than that. Well good luck, I'm sure someone here has to run at Lime Rock from time to time that'll have some good muffler advice.
Even the guys at Burns were surprised. But go to the Lime Rock website. It's there. That is why I usually run NJMS despite the long ride.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

86 dB at what distance? This matters. It may not be as difficult as you think.

My local track has a 75 dB limit at their property line, which is behind a sound wall along the main straight, and about 50' from the track. To get by I use side pipes that turn under the car, then I run flex tubing from the outlets under the rear suspension to an exit point at the right rear corner of the car. My point is, you may have to get creative with a solution in order to meet sound.

I don't know the brand of muffler inserts in the pipes I use, but I can say that they're more quiet than my other pipes that use dynomax bullet mufflers (similar to a Max Flow internally, but shorter length). The unknown "quiet" pipes have an internal diameter that is similar to a Hooker reverse flow insert.

It may be worth going to a track day there and running as is to see where you're at, but have alternatives with you so you can attempt to reduce the noise if you have to.

Last edited by 69autoXr; 06-20-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

read all 3 pages of this thread, I believe they test it 50 feet behind the vehicle at 1,000 RPM below redline during tech. Additional tests from various points while on the track.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/motor-s...striction.html
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

There were a bunch of guys saying that 09 forward z06 and zr1 completely stock were sometimes failing and they were wiring closed the NPP.

I heard it second hand, but given how many cars were flagged at an event i attended (no corvettes), I would suggest taking it seriously before spending good money on a solution that may not work, or just watch for one of the "unmuffled" HPDE days. I know SCDA has them, but sign up quickly, they fill up fast.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Burns was basically recommending a larger diameter side pipe to cutback on restriction. Not sure how they would do the internal muffler.

A good friend recommended altering the brackets or weld deflectors to my side pipes or cut and weld them so the sound is directed down. I wonder if that would help.

Wish there was a non permanent way to do this in case it doesn’t work.

Get notified of new replies

To Quiet mufflers inserts with low restriction??

Quick Reply: Quiet mufflers inserts with low restriction??