Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another Caliper question thread, help me spend $$

Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default BBK caliper thermlock piston question

Ok I'm looking at a BBK to replace the old c5 stock system (front), which is like using a hatchet for surgery... I have been pouring over threads finding one with several respected forum members sources stating don't get the non thermlock pistons.

Stoptech st 60 has piston noses that are additional to reject heat transfer and the wilwood w6a ST that has the thermlock pistons, basically the same idea, but come standard in their ST version of the caliper.

My question is would the stoptech need the http://www.stoptech.com/racing/racin...m-piston-noses titanium piston noses to perform on par with the wilwood w6a and how much are they and did anyone notice a difference without them?

Wilwood caliper link is here:http://wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperP...=120-11658-RSN The kit from Summit Racing is $26XX, just about dead even with stoptech.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments welcome.

Last edited by NASAblue; 06-20-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:02 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Obvious choice in the Essex/AP sprint kit.
Pads for the stoptechs are pricey, hard to justify.
W6A seems interesting, but have trouble getting on board that it is a race-quality piece.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
W6A seems interesting, but have trouble getting on board that it is a race-quality piece.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM
NASAblue
Racer

I appreciate the recommendation and looked at AP, but they don't have any type of thermal protection on the piston and that's what I'm wondering about.

I spoke with another instructor at VIR with the AP setup and he had to grind something in order to get them to fit. He did say they were much better than stock, but he was already talking about bigger wheels and another set up, so from his feedback, I felt they were a compromise to use stock wheels and still heated up too much.

For $2,6XX they are as expensive as stoptechs, don't come with pads, have the stock size rotor, and 4 piston calipers. Those are strikes one, two, and three for me vs 6 piston calipers with 355mm rotors for the same price.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

You should read the mountain of racer feedback on the AP T1 kit instead of spec sheets and decide for yourself. I am sure Jeff will chime in as well.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:15 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NASAblue
I appreciate the recommendation and looked at AP, but they don't have any type of thermal protection on the piston and that's what I'm wondering about.

I spoke with another instructor at VIR with the AP setup and he had to grind something in order to get them to fit. He did say they were much better than stock, but he was already talking about bigger wheels and another set up, so from his feedback, I felt they were a compromise to use stock wheels and still heated up too much.

For $2,6XX they are as expensive as stoptechs, don't come with pads, have the stock size rotor, and 4 piston calipers. Those are strikes one, two, and three for me vs 6 piston calipers with 355mm rotors for the same price.
I have the AP T1 Kit and outrun instructors at VIR all the time
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by NASAblue

If you don't want the upgraded race BBKs w W6A and W4A calipers you can get them for a lot less money than that. It costs $330 I think to add the Thermlock pistons to the standard W6A. Check with Todd at TCE for Wilwood prices. One issue with the Wilwoods is the pain in the butt safety wiring of the rotors. 6 safety wires for each rotor X 4. I purchased his original kit for adapting the W6A to the stock rotors a couple of years ago. Now Wilwood sells the same thing for less than a thousand. I just purchased front stock size 355 mm Wilwood 2 piece rotors, the rear W4A BBK w 355 mm rotors including parking brake with pads and brake hoses from him for less than you are talking about.

Pads for the Wilwoods are available from Wilwood and Porterfield. The Wilwood 6617 pad is a partial copy of the AP CP7040D61/CP7040D54 pad shape and is available from Porterfield with Raybestos Compounds. Porterfield mills the AP pad down to the 6617 shape. I just purchased some ST47s for my W6A calipers and will be using them next Monday and Tuesday. I suppose you could do this with any compound the AP pad comes with.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-05-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I concur....although I have Stoptech ST 60 and ST 40 BBK on my C5 Z06, I do feel that the Essex BBK system is superior for SCCA/NASA levelsl of racing or tracking your car in HPDEs.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have an AP T1 kit with the stock rear calipers and can't help wonder if my car would stop better and have increased pad life had I gone with Stoptech ST-40's in the front. I'm burning through Carbotech pads on this thing.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Compare the pad volume btw the ST40/60 pads and the AP pads. Some difference, but not as much as you might hope. You may have better luck with another compound. The AP rotors can take a harsh (longer lasting) pad.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with the budget upgrade from Wilwood. I run their Caliper upgrade kit with W6A calipers and can be set up to run with the C6 Z51 or Z06. I'm currently running the Z51 rotors under my C5Z 17" front wheels but if you are running 18" wheels you should be able to run the C6Z 14" rotors.

Makes the rotor option a little easier and you have your pad choices.

*Edit* This upgrade including rotors was about half of what you are looking to spend.

Last edited by Bad Karma; 06-21-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

You've gotten some good advice but I'll tell my experience. I bought a used set of the Lg wilwood kit for the front only which is the sl6 that uses the 7860 pad if iirc [stock pistons]. It fits with zo6 c5 rears and c4 gs 17x 11. I've run st43 pads for half a year on one set and won several tts. I haven't run race group yet, getting the car caged now. The pedal softness I had prior isn't solved but I've learned to live with it. I don't run abs anymore because it failed for unknown reasons. I spent 900 bucks. There are better kits but I'm happy. The guy I bought from upgraded to AP.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I was looking into the same setup and came to the conclusion that the number of pad choices is very limited if running wilwood calipers...

You can get the ap kit with no rotors for 1600 then upgrade to floating rotors later. Also you mentioned that you wanted larger rotors - the ap kit comes with caliper adapters (carriers) for either a 12.8" or 14" rotor... if youre set on a 14 then you can specify that and either get the 14" floating rotors (http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=49), or run some other stock c6z size/spec rotors.

If you do get the wilwood, you can avoid the safety wires by getting nordlocks for the rotors: http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=178

Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by GSU
I have an AP T1 kit with the stock rear calipers and can't help wonder if my car would stop better and have increased pad life had I gone with Stoptech ST-40's in the front. I'm burning through Carbotech pads on this thing.

snip... I do feel that the Essex BBK system is superior for SCCA/NASA levelsl of racing or tracking your car in HPDEs.
The Stoptech T1 kit was developed on my SCCA T1 racecar and uses the St40 caliper. Rotor rings have lasted me over 2+ years of racing and only changed because I raced at a venue many states from home. One set of front pads last one year of racing. My rear pads have gone 2+ years and still going.

The Esses AP is a good front caliper set but the Stoptech T1 kit was designed as a complete solution with 4 Stoptech calipers designed for the stock master cylinder. It was empirically designed on paper and developed on my racecar at the track by Stoptech engineers. Then our SCCA T1 national champion took the championship racing on The Stoptech T1 kit in a C6.

This 4 caliper kit costs more than a front only but if you want pain free low maintenance and proven results that is how you get them.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Compare the pad volume btw the ST40/60 pads and the AP pads. Some difference, but not as much as you might hope. You may have better luck with another compound. The AP rotors can take a harsh (longer lasting) pad.
Yes, the pads are similar thickness but it's on a 12.8" versus 14" providing a lot less cooling.

My first set of rings lasted me about 5-6 track days on 3 different compounds and street driving.

I may do that. I wore a set of XP20's half way down in one day at Sebring a few weeks ago. Granted I was braking ridiculously hard but still.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
I went with the budget upgrade from Wilwood. I run their Caliper upgrade kit with W6A calipers and can be set up to run with the C6 Z51 or Z06. I'm currently running the Z51 rotors under my C5Z 17" front wheels but if you are running 18" wheels you should be able to run the C6Z 14" rotors.

Makes the rotor option a little easier and you have your pad choices.

*Edit* This upgrade including rotors was about half of what you are looking to spend.
THank you, How do you like the feel? is it crisp and consistent late into a run?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Yes, the pads are similar thickness but it's on a 12.8" versus 14" providing a lot less cooling.

My first set of rings lasted me about 5-6 track days on 3 different compounds and street driving.

I may do that. I wore a set of XP20's half way down in one day at Sebring a few weeks ago. Granted I was braking ridiculously hard but still.
I was a little worried about this with any of the stock rotor size kits. Rings are not cheap!! Thank you for your feedback!

Get notified of new replies

To another Caliper question thread, help me spend $$

Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Originally Posted by el es tu
I was looking into the same setup and came to the conclusion that the number of pad choices is very limited if running wilwood calipers...

You can get the ap kit with no rotors for 1600 then upgrade to floating rotors later. Also you mentioned that you wanted larger rotors - the ap kit comes with caliper adapters (carriers) for either a 12.8" or 14" rotor... if youre set on a 14 then you can specify that and either get the 14" floating rotors (http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=49), or run some other stock c6z size/spec rotors.

If you do get the wilwood, you can avoid the safety wires by getting nordlocks for the rotors: http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=178

Thank you for those options.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
You've gotten some good advice but I'll tell my experience. I bought a used set of the Lg wilwood kit for the front only which is the sl6 that uses the 7860 pad if iirc [stock pistons]. It fits with zo6 c5 rears and c4 gs 17x 11. I've run st43 pads for half a year on one set and won several tts. I haven't run race group yet, getting the car caged now. The pedal softness I had prior isn't solved but I've learned to live with it. I don't run abs anymore because it failed for unknown reasons. I spent 900 bucks. There are better kits but I'm happy. The guy I bought from upgraded to AP.
Thank you, Master cylinder valve or air in the abs for the mushy pedal?

I don't run abs anymore either, it basically self defeats (I blame gremlins) so when I loose the feel of the caliper I can't get threshold feedback in time to not flat spot the tires.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
The Stoptech T1 kit was developed on my SCCA T1 racecar and uses the St40 caliper. Rotor rings have lasted me over 2+ years of racing and only changed because I raced at a venue many states from home. One set of front pads last one year of racing. My rear pads have gone 2+ years and still going.

The Esses AP is a good front caliper set but the Stoptech T1 kit was designed as a complete solution with 4 Stoptech calipers designed for the stock master cylinder. It was empirically designed on paper and developed on my racecar at the track by Stoptech engineers. Then our SCCA T1 national champion took the championship racing on The Stoptech T1 kit in a C6.

This 4 caliper kit costs more than a front only but if you want pain free low maintenance and proven results that is how you get them.
It seems there are Grades of Calipers based on quality of components, rotor size, parts availability, initial cost, and replacement cost.

-Wilwood or AP racing may have more available and cheeper pads/parts, but it seems they will chew up the smaller rotor ring and that's $300-$700 a pop and increased maintenance. Maybe 2 per season at 15 track days. It seems AP racing is better than the wilwood, but both seem in the same tier of being able to use stock 17" c5 z wheels.

-Stoptech ST-60 seem like they are a little better than the W6A based wilwood kits. These are 6 piston calipers that have the added advantage of better rotor cooling and leverage so even if parts are more $, they are not being replaced as frequently. Overall, this seems like it is the next tier of brake.

-Then are the heavy hitters, the stoptech trophy and the GT brembos. I won't even bother with parts cost because if you have bought these your not worried about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another Caliper question thread, help me spend $$