Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral at the Limits - Changing the Front Sway Bar Only

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Neutral at the Limits - Changing the Front Sway Bar Only

I have been toying with the idea of swapping the front bar but can't seem to find anyone that has posted any feedback on it.

My experience on track with other cars that are a bit tail happy is to change the front bar for a much stiffer one. On an S2000 for instance, especially the early models, the front bar has a lower spring rate than the rear ( 393 lb/in Front and 427 lb/in rear). So to make the car more neutral I put in the lowest rate bar I can find for the rear and highest rate for the front (600 lb/in to 311 lb/in). This combination makes the car much more neutral.

Really there are a lot of similarities between the setups between the two as the S2000 also has a 50/50 weight distribution (Mine balanced out within 7lbs across all (4) tires) and also runs staggered tires. That being said I can't seem to find why the physics would be any different on a C5 or C6.

After reviewing the chart produced by PFADT (see below) it appears the OEM bars for all models have a higher rear rate than the front. So my thought was to throw on a front bar that is at least 75% firmer than my stock C6 Z06 bar in the front thus calming the car down. It appears that PFADT is doing just this with their kits. I am going to bet that the Johnny O'Connell setup which many commented "Is More Neutral" is almost purely a function of the larger sway bar spring rate ratio (F/R) and that the shocks play a very minor role, as compared to my stock 09 Z06 suspension.

Some back ground on the car. It is on street tires with increased camber and corner balance. The tires are all wearing right to the triangles at the sidewalls and tire temps have a small gradient across the tread. So I don't think an alignment is the answer. I know that coil overs, more specifically spring rates changes, would also help but this car is 100% stock and I don't want/need to make any big changes. I am not professional and have no problem admitting my laps times will be benefited by a "Driver Mod" more than anything at this point. However confidence in the car always seems to help quite a bit.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:39 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

yes it will help. My last 2 track cars (c5 z) had/have T1 front bar with stock z06 bar in back.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:06 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

c5z

t1 front t1 rear (soft setting)

Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Maybe I'm just used to my car, but it hasn't really tried to kill me yet. It seems to give me warning signs (except for my one baja excursion) and I rarely feel on edge, but I am on NT05s. Does the pucker factor go up on DOT R's?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The famous Pfadt sway bar graph isn't actual rate, it's relative. You can't compare the front bars to the rear on the graph. The actual rate of a front T1 bar is somewhere in the 900 lb/in range and the rear is somewhere around 400 lb/in. The Pfadt graph is useful in comparing front bars to fronts and rear bars to rears. Since you are running street tires increasing the stiffness of the stock front bar would just make the front end push sooner, (better balance - maybe, better overall grip negative) you're better off softening the rear bar to get the bite you are looking for. I've had C6Z customers really like the C5Z06 rear bar to help get them a little more bite in the rear. If you have access to one I would try installing one and see how you like it. (Rear bars are also easier to change than fronts.)
Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think the relative rates are the same for front and rear on the Pfadt chart. All the options the front bar is stiffer than the rear. Look of the charts with the diameters of the bars posted elsewhere on the forum.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:23 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Maybe I'm just used to my car, but it hasn't really tried to kill me yet. It seems to give me warning signs (except for my one baja excursion) and I rarely feel on edge, but I am on NT05s. Does the pucker factor go up on DOT R's?
This is really a preference on how the car is setup not a problem with the setup, if that makes sense. I personally prefer that the car be more neutral or even push a just a tiny bit. For me it's just a comfort thing and the more comfortable I am the faster I believe I will be.

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
The famous Pfadt sway bar graph isn't actual rate, it's relative. You can't compare the front bars to the rear on the graph. The actual rate of a front T1 bar is somewhere in the 900 lb/in range and the rear is somewhere around 400 lb/in. The Pfadt graph is useful in comparing front bars to fronts and rear bars to rears. Since you are running street tires increasing the stiffness of the stock front bar would just make the front end push sooner, (better balance - maybe, better overall grip negative) you're better off softening the rear bar to get the bite you are looking for. I've had C6Z customers really like the C5Z06 rear bar to help get them a little more bite in the rear. If you have access to one I would try installing one and see how you like it. (Rear bars are also easier to change than fronts.)
Good point, on the rear bar. The one issue I do have with softening up the rear is that the car does seem to have a fair amount of yaw. This makes me nervous especially on something like a carousel when I am pulling high G and accelerating. Otherwise as I mentioned above doing this helped on my S2000 quite a bit.

I actually am going to look at a C5Z tomorrow morning with a friend. If he buys it I might just have to put it up on my lift and borrow it ;-)

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I don't think the relative rates are the same for front and rear on the Pfadt chart. All the options the front bar is stiffer than the rear. Look of the charts with the diameters of the bars posted elsewhere on the forum.
Reading the graph I assumed that the "Relative" was using the same scale from the front and the rear. I will have to do some more research as actual rates would be helpful. It is my experience that manufactures often give the bar diameter and/or the ratio of stiffness from the OEM to their bars. This is all well and good but there are several issues I have with that.

1.) OEM bars change on many cars through the years, model..... So unless you specify that brand XXXXX bar is XX% stiffer than a year and model then the data is useless.

2.) Bar diameter might be one indicator but it does not tell if the bar is hollow or solid, the type of material used for the bar and if the fulcrum/lever positions are the same (This is what is changed on adjustable bars)

I did talk with Eric @ PFadt and they agreed a front bar would make the car more neutral. They recommended the C6Z SS bar but my experience with setup's like this are that they tend to be a bit much for a street car. I still have and race the S2000, the Z06 is my street car and as such I don't want to make any drastic changes. That being said I ended up picking up a set of the Johnny O'Connell bars today and will report back.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Old 06-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
This is really a preference on how the car is setup not a problem with the setup, if that makes sense. I personally prefer that the car be more neutral or even push a just a tiny bit. For me it's just a comfort thing and the more comfortable I am the faster I believe I will be.
Makes sense, also makes me wonder if I'm not pushing hard enough. The only time I have trouble getting the power down is in 2nd gear turns, but remember I make LS1 power up here in CO. At the risk of derailing the thread, and to satiate my own curiosity, might I ask under what exact conditions the car does not inspire confidence for you? I haven't really looked at areas of the car to improve yet, but I think I'm slowly getting to the point where I might be able to identify those points.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:12 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is my personal setup for 100% neutral feeling in my car to me.

- PFADT racing sway bars, Light Rate, #2 hole up front, #1 hole in rear.
- Nitto Invo tires, 265/35/18 up front, 305/30/19 in rear

On the street or track I have 100% confidence in the balance of the car and traction.

I have barely squeeled my tires, if ever, through aggressive driving on the street, and only squeeled my tires a few times in the hardest of turns at Road Atlanta.

Yes, I am still a novice and not pushing 100%, pushing about 90%, but I am within my safety factor and have no worries about traction or balance.

Brakes are a much bigger issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Neutral at the Limits - Changing the Front Sway Bar Only

Quick Reply: Neutral at the Limits - Changing the Front Sway Bar Only