Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to tie down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:45 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default where to tie down?

Where do you guys tie down your cars on your car haulers? Meaning where do you tie into on the car. I have two of those hooks that go into where the hockey pucks do. I figured I could use those for the front and criss-cross them.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought some T-hooks from a towing supply place that fit into the factory holes in the frame for my C4. I just clip the straps to them.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Only thing I don't like about that is the straps are subjected to the suspension travel of the car on the trailer. I hook to a arms myself, if they can bear the force of WOT acceleration and threshold braking, surely the acceleration/braking forces of my truck won't hurt anything. I do want to get a set of those Mac straps though and get some of those axle straps they have (and wrap the arm instead of hooking it). I'll probably get custom short ones (shorter than they list on their site) to ensure their straps will be able to do their job.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:27 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Only thing I don't like about that is the straps are subjected to the suspension travel of the car on the trailer. I hook to a arms myself, if they can bear the force of WOT acceleration and threshold braking, surely the acceleration/braking forces of my truck won't hurt anything. I do want to get a set of those Mac straps though and get some of those axle straps they have (and wrap the arm instead of hooking it). I'll probably get custom short ones (shorter than they list on their site) to ensure their straps will be able to do their job.
I use blocks between the trailer and frame, cut to just fit. When I crank it down, there is no suspension travel at all.

Another good choice I've seen are wheel nets. Same towing supply place I bought my hooks from have them. They come in single or dual point tie downs. Throw it over the tire and secure it. Only thing I personally don't like about this method is if you have a tire leaking it can loosen up.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:25 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I tie both of our cars(C5Z and C6Z) down with T hooks to the slots in the frame. I got the T hooks from Northern Tools and the straps from a towing place whose name I can't remember right this second. That's how they're secured being transported from the factory and I don't know that there's a stronger part of the car than that hydroformed frame. The other advantage is that the suspension it tied down and the car doesn't move around like it would with wheel nets. I cross both ends though I've been told the only one that's absolute is the rear, it doesn't hurt and it's no harder to do so I do both.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I back mine on the trailer so consider that In my setup: through the wheels at all four corners. Cross the rear wheel straps, straight pull on the front so as to not degrade tie rods or tweak the alignment.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:09 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JerryTX
I back mine on the trailer so consider that In my setup: through the wheels at all four corners. Cross the rear wheel straps, straight pull on the front so as to not degrade tie rods or tweak the alignment.
Doesn't that screw up your tongue weight? Or do you have so much stuff up front that backing on counter balances the weight?

I've always been told ~10% of the towing weight should be on the tongue to maintain a stable tow. It's never failed me yet.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:37 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no way you are going to hurt the set up with tie straps.. the forces driving are way higher than that..i hear this all the time and its just silly..
Old 06-29-2013, 11:38 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Doesn't that screw up your tongue weight? Or do you have so much stuff up front that backing on counter balances the weight?

I've always been told ~10% of the towing weight should be on the tongue to maintain a stable tow. It's never failed me yet.
Great question and in my case no. I bought the trailer from a guy who used it to tow his gt3 so the axles are slightly further set back. And your right 10-15% weight on the tongue, and use a tongue scale to be sure.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:46 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Great question and in my case no. I bought the trailer from a guy who used it to tow his gt3 so the axles are slightly further set back. And your right 10-15% weight on the tongue, and use a tongue scale to be sure.
And your Corvette doesn't pee on the trailer to mark its territory?

After all, an overgrown VW on steroids used to ride on it...
Old 06-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

I use blocks between the trailer and frame, cut to just fit. When I crank it down, there is no suspension travel at all.

Another good choice I've seen are wheel nets. Same towing supply place I bought my hooks from have them. They come in single or dual point tie downs. Throw it over the tire and secure it. Only thing I personally don't like about this method is if you have a tire leaking it can loosen up.
Now that block method is a cool idea, once there's tension on the straps I bet that block's wedged in there and stays wedged as there's no bouncing car to loosen the straps.

I'd forgotten about tire straps too, I do like the idea of tying to the tire because a car is far easier to push if you just spin its tires instead of pushing on the *** end to get it up the driveway. I figure this ought to translate nicely into tie down straps as well.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Now that block method is a cool idea, once there's tension on the straps I bet that block's wedged in there and stays wedged as there's no bouncing car to loosen the straps.

I'd forgotten about tire straps too, I do like the idea of tying to the tire because a car is far easier to push if you just spin its tires instead of pushing on the *** end to get it up the driveway. I figure this ought to translate nicely into tie down straps as well.
I notched them for the frame a little, but yeah...once the straps are cranked down it ain't going anywhere.

And, there is zero suspension flex...far easier on the springs.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

And your Corvette doesn't pee on the trailer to mark its territory?
LOL!

On Tire nets: its going to be hard to get them on a lowered Vette and having them slip sucks.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

What makes a tire net any more prone to slipping than a regular old tie down loosening?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Hot tire grips the net and as low as the car is its hard to see if it's hung up. Later the tire cools, and bumps cause the net to slip. Almost lost a car that way, the safety chain saved it.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:17 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

I'm not following what you are saying with using "blocks between the trailer and frame".
Old 06-30-2013, 12:57 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We use an axle strap through the wheels with tie downs going straight back on the rear of my brother's C5Z. On the front, we use axle straps around the A-arm or sway bar and cross the straps. Car stays in place as long as the straps are tight.

Get notified of new replies

To where to tie down?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:58 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
I'm not following what you are saying with using "blocks between the trailer and frame".
I have blocks cut that sit on the floor of the trailer and are JUST short of touching the frame rails of the car.

Once the car is in place on the trailer, I slide them in place and when I crank on the straps it basically secures the frame directly to the trailer thereby taking the cars suspension travel completely out of the equation.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

I have blocks cut that sit on the floor of the trailer and are JUST short of touching the frame rails of the car.

Once the car is in place on the trailer, I slide them in place and when I crank on the straps it basically secures the frame directly to the trailer thereby taking the cars suspension travel completely out of the equation.
Shoot me a pic or two next time you do this please.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 PM
sg7025
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any tips on strapping down a lowered c6? I just looked under my z06 and I can barely get my arm under it to strap anything let alone find a good place to hook.

Quick Reply: where to tie down?