Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:48 AM
jcarothers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question about tires

I've found myself with a bit of an issue.. I need tires for my car, it's a c6 coupe. I currently have Hankook V12's which have served me fairly well over the last year(and ~30k miles, with somewhere around 20-25 autocross events mixed in). I'm ready for a tire with a bit more grip, but finding a tire that I can drive on as well as compete in autocross with throughout the year(I obviously don't expect the next set to last as long as the previous) seems very limited. I'd ideally like a tire like the star spec or BFG rival, which I'm sure you all know aren't made in C6 sizes. It seems to me the only tire I can find that'll somewhat fit my desires is the Kuhmo XS, which from what I've read is terrible in the rain(or was it cold?) and not likely to get up to temp on an autox course. I attempted to buy Bridgestone RE-11s also, but it turns out I can't find them anywhere.

Anyhow, barring any other tire choices you guys might suggest in a stock size, what issues might I run into by running a 265/305 combo on stock wheels? I've noticed I open up a couple more tire options by doing so. I'm trying to stay in SS(which I'm aware I'm not super competitive without A6's) so new wheels aren't an option. I'd just like to move up to a more grippy tire without heading into an R-comp as most events I attend are 3+ hours away, and the vette being my only car.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long read.

Last edited by jcarothers; 07-09-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 PM
jcarothers
Advanced

anyone?

I'm really curious about the ability to run a 265 up front and a 305 rear on the stock wheels.. as it is at the moment, I'm taking a real deep look at possibly getting rid of this car in favor of an E46 M3 or something that basically doesn't take as large of a tire.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:49 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try RS3s. The still need a good bit of heat, but not as much as the XS from what I've read. Maybe a 255/35 front and 305/30 will work for you.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have run RE-11's and RS-3's in 265/305. Both are good choices for track and street.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
I have run RE-11's and RS-3's in 265/305. Both are good choices for track and street.
Nt05? As far as e46 m3 it's a great car but an plus of the Verte is being able to run a wide tire. The best option if choice is buying a cheap set of extra wheels. Then I'd look at nt01s. Not sure what that does to your class and I don't do auto cross.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I run RS3 on the street and track. Great tires!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:18 PM
jcarothers
Advanced

are there any issues with rubbing on the 265/305 combination, or is there plenty of room to spare?

Also I have considered the RS3, and am curious about them in cooler weather.. I drive my car all year around, so driving in the rain and cold are some traits the tire has to handle. Anyone else I know that runs the RS3 tends to only use them as an 'event tire' or they're not on a daily driven car.

The second set of wheels was considered, but then I would run into the issues with either the tire pressure monitors or finding a way to transport them. And at that point I'm worried about the active handling junk having as say in how bad my run is going to be.

Once again, thanks guys for your help.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Nitto NT-05 if you are on a budget, and Michelin Pilot SUPER Sport if you can afford them.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Nitto NT-05 if you are on a budget, and Michelin Pilot SUPER Sport if you can afford them.
I wouldn't recommend the NT-05 for auto-x unless you are on a budget (like me). They take too much heat to work properly in that environment. They are much better suited to track use where they can get very hot. Nitto has stated their operating temperature to be between 160 and 220F.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I run RS3 on the street and track. Great tires!
I've had RS3's before on other cars and they were great tires. Are you running these on stock wheels? No issues?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
+ 1 on the MPSS !

Having used a broad range of tires on the street and track (NT05, R888. 555rII's, NT01), I would rate them as the highest performing everyday tire that will perform well in a track environment while having excellent wear, noise and wet behavior during street use.

Based on longer wear the cost becomes a wash compared to cheaper / faster wearing tires.

Ed
Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Michael J. Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doveboat
+ 1 on the MPSS !

Having used a broad range of tires on the street and track (NT05, R888. 555rII's, NT01), I would rate them as the highest performing everyday tire that will perform well in a track environment while having excellent wear, noise and wet behavior during street use.

Based on longer wear the cost becomes a wash compared to cheaper / faster wearing tires.

Ed
Geez, Ed, Aren't you the tire oracle. Seriously, you gave some good advice, since you've actually run the MPSS's, but I would stress the NT05's as a strong second choice. Also, I personally ran several sets of Kumho XS's on my LS2 and they worked really well, but the NT05's are probably cheaper. And NONE of them are supposed to work well in the cold (or wet) but I've run several times at Big Willow when the outside temps never got over 30 degrees and they, amazingly, still hooked up!

Get notified of new replies

To Question about tires

Quick Reply: Question about tires