Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can HANS be modified by adding shoulder

Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Bkennard18
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can HANS be modified by adding shoulder

A buddy I track with has an older HANS carbon before they added the shoulders to keep the harness on top of the HANS. A couple times while on track the HANS specific belts have sliped off. Is there anyone who has modified an older HANS to add the shoulders for the belts to rest in like on the newer design?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not modify the Hans Device. You might consider a harness that has a breast strap the holds the shoulder straps together, but make sure it is 100% reliable.

When you go this route, it's really all or nothing. Typically, the installation of a race seat will disable the airbag system so it's up to the seat, harness, Hans and helmet to prevent injury in a crash. I had that crash and walked away with zero (0) injuries or even any soreness the next day and I went 80 mph into a tire wall.

Jim
Old 07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
fcarga
Instructor

As said above DO NOT modify the Hans!! Tell him to tighten his belts or get the 2" shoulder belts or a newer Hans. I raced SCCA and NASA for 5 or 6 yrs with 3" belts on a 2004 or 2005 Hans and not once did the belts slide off the Hans. Too many drivers do not have their belts tight enough nor do they check and re-tighten them during the race. The same applies to helmets.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Bkennard18
Intermediate

We did some research on belt position off of the HANS web site. I believe the seats he has in his GT3 spread the belts wide on his shoulders. We are going to try and pinch the mounting point of the belts closer. If this does not help heay have to get a new HANS
Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 PM
CTZoom
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to cross the belts over behind the seat when you use a HANS device. And make sure they are really right. I've used 3in belts for years with an early HANS device and they have never slipped off.

Get notified of new replies

To Can HANS be modified by adding shoulder

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can HANS be modified by adding shoulder