Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier Wet for street/track

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 PM
srproductions
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hoosier Wet for street/track

Any thoughts on running fully threaded Hoosier wets for street use and occasional track use? Searched and found nothing.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by srproductions
Any thoughts on running fully threaded Hoosier wets for street use and occasional track use? Searched and found nothing.
It's a really bad idea, is why. Call Hoosier & ask.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will be toast in a few miles
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by srproductions
I bought a set of wheels with those on and left them on for a year of mixed street, drag, and road track use. They were sticky and I had no problems, I even bought a new set to use the same way. At drag racing the best sixty foot I did was a 1.76 which I thought was decent! (still had the road race alignment too!)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I bought a set of wheels with those on and left them on for a year of mixed street, drag, and road track use. They were sticky and I had no problems, I even bought a new set to use the same way. At drag racing the best sixty foot I did was a 1.76 which I thought was decent! (still had the road race alignment too!)
I trust you, but that is really hard to believe (a year) when I get max 100 runs (100 MILES) before cording an a6.

Usually (if you follow F1) wets are MUCH softer than the slicks.

Maybe Hoosier makes their wets harder than their slicks, but makes little sense to me.

I might call them myself just to get some clarification.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone really use Hoosier Wets anymore? I've got a set of them in my garage (315/35-17's) that I can't give away.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
Does anyone really use Hoosier Wets anymore? I've got a set of them in my garage (315/35-17's) that I can't give away.
Mac has a set in his trailer that must be 10 years old and he's never had them on the ground.

I've never bought a set to avoid the temptation to go out in the rain...plus I removed the windshield wipers.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I trust you, but that is really hard to believe (a year) when I get max 100 runs (100 MILES) before cording an a6.

Usually (if you follow F1) wets are MUCH softer than the slicks.

Maybe Hoosier makes their wets harder than their slicks, but makes little sense to me.

I might call them myself just to get some clarification.

As I understood it, in talking to one of their folks, a good while ago, the wet's were the same compound and construction as the dry's, but were made in different molds and had more rubber on them. For that reason, they would likely overheat and chunk if you used them on the track in the dry, and they would heat cycle and harden up over time, just like the dry's do. You might check for sure, but that is what they said at the time.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not run them on the street for the noise factor alone. They are a noisy tire. They do work great in the rain though.

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier Wet for street/track

Quick Reply: Hoosier Wet for street/track