Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Boots on a C5

Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Default C4 Boots on a C5

I did a search several days ago looking for pictures of the C4 tie-rod and ball joint boots on a C5 and could not find any. The boots on my car are the originals from 2003 and completely shot despite being wrapped in heat reflective tape and/or header wrap for the past couple of years. I installed a set on the right rear this weekend and snapped a few pictures for reference. The other three corners will get the same parts and wrap.

The design is more like a bell and less like an accordion, but they appear to fit snugly and the thickness is actually thicker. This is on a race car and they are now wrapped in DEI header wrap. Parts are from Summit.

We shall see how they stand up to the sustained heat of sprint races, time trials, and 4-8 hour enduros.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Lower ball joint boot:

Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I did poly tie rod boots front and rear myself and wrapped them in a 3M covering. Since they're covered, I just ASSume they're not melting.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If the header wrap does not work, try one of the softer heat shielding materials that is reflective. The inners are fine unwrapped, I have melted outers unwrapped.
You have a heat shields too for the outers? Super easy to make and def worth it.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

They work OK... they don't seal as well as the OEM ones. I've had them on my lower balljoints for a bit now.

Oh... and header wrap is worthless for this application. Use DEI cool tape over them. My outer tie-rod boots are still fine.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

I'll look into the DEI cool tape. Thanks.

Ben, I did not have shields before, but I am making a set for the tie rod and lower ball joints right now.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Boots on a C5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Boots on a C5