Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS/Grand Am Merger NEWS Continental Tire deal

Old 08-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default ALMS/Grand Am Merger NEWS Continental Tire deal

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...erger-process/

Continental Tire deal the latest detail to emerge from USCR merger process

Jul 31, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Continental Tire will play a major role in “#TheFuture,” of both United SportsCar Racing and the aptly named Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.

The tire manufacturer was confirmed Wednesday as exclusive supplier to three of the four USCR classes, Prototype (P), Prototype Challenge (PC) and GT Daytona (GTD). The GT Le Mans category (GTLM) will remain as an open-tire specification to allow for open competition. Additionally, Continental’s exclusive supply to the supporting CTSCC ranks as both tire partner and title sponsor was confirmed.

This isn’t a huge surprise but it means a couple things. First, the existing American Le Mans Series P1 and P2 teams, who run on either Michelin or Bridgestone tires, would need to be able to adapt Continental Tires to whatever car they choose to run in USCR. The P1 class has been eliminated for 2014, and some tests have been performed with P2 cars on Continental rubber.

Secondly, it will likely prevent any European P2 teams, who run on either Dunlop or Michelin rubber, from racing in any USCR endurance events.

Continental currently supplies tires to ALMS PC and all of GRAND-AM’s classes in both the Rolex and CTSCC championships.

The specifications for the merged USCR championship, which will fuse the ALMS and GRAND-AM Rolex Series for 2014, have begun to emerge this month. Driver ratings, pit/paddock regulations and procedures were revealed on July 12. On July 19, further information about class specifications and available cars was announced.

The next major hurdle for the series is a 2014 schedule reveal. Several dates have been leaked by tracks expected to join the calendar (Daytona, Sebring, Petit Le Mans and most recently, Indianapolis).

From conversations, some series insiders are rather anxious about the number of races given the timeline for finalizing 2014 budgets is happening now. Meanwhile, USCR officials have continually stressed the nature of what a long process it is to pare down 22 races at 17 tracks from 2013 into either 10 or 11 races for 2014.

Ideally, a schedule needs to be revealed in August, if not by Labor Day weekend at Baltimore for the ALMS at the absolute latest
Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default IMSA Teleconference Transcript: United SportsCar Racing Teleconference

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-229989.html

An interview with:
ED BENNETT
TRAVIS ROFFLER
SCOT ELKINS
RYAN DALZIEL

THE MODERATOR: Thanks to everybody for joining us today for a really exciting announcement regarding the future of sports car racing in North America. I'd like to begin by introducing our panel for today's teleconference. We're joined today by Ed Bennett, the CEO of IMSA, Travis Roffler, Director of Marketing for Continental Tire, Scot Elkins, the Vice President of Competition and Technical Regulations for IMSA, and Ryan Dalziel, who competes in both the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car series, and the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón, and was the winner of last Friday's Brickyard Grand Prix.

Now for today's announcement, we'd like to go to Ed Bennett. Ed?
ED BENNETT: Thank you, Nate. It's a busy time as you would expect. Let me begin by saying we continue to track well against our overall established key milestones and timelines we set forth for the merger getting ready for 2014. Today, we're proud to announce the following exciting news regarding the International Motorsports Association's (IMSA) tire strategy as we prepare for the first season of United SportsCar Racing.

Continental Tire, which is already an established strategic supplier and marketing provider in both GRAND-AM Road Racing and American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón, will continue to play those roles in our efforts as the exclusive tire supplier for three important classes next year in the new United SportsCar Racing series, the Prototype, Prototype Challenge, and GT Daytona classes.

Also, Continental proudly will return as the title sponsor and exclusive tire supplier of the IMSA Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.

In addition, we also want to announce the United SportsCar Racing's GT Le Mans class will be open to multiple tire competition and involvement. This is exciting news and significant news with our friends from Continental Tire here.

I'll turn it over to our partner and friend, director of marketing for Continental Tire, Mr. Travis Roffler, to provide some more great perspective.

TRAVIS ROFFLER: Thank you very much Ed. On behalf of Continental Tire, first and foremost, I'd like to express our sincere gratitude to Jim France and Don Panoz that had the vision to create this unified series starting in 2014. We could not be more pleased and proud to be involved in the United SportsCar Racing series moving forward under the IMSA brand.

Our team has worked extremely hard over the last few years since coming on board in 2010 to develop tires that are durable and provide confidence to our drivers within the series.

I think when you look at the Rolex Series, the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge, as well as our new venture in the Prototype Challenge class of American Le Mans, we have seen great racing at every track we've been to this year and are excited to continue this in the future.

We have continually developed and will continue to develop our tires to meet the needs of the track and the drivers as well as the teams to provide competition that is exciting for our fans. Continental Tire could not be more proud to announce today to be the spec tire for the Prototypes, the Prototype Challenge and the GT Daytona cars in the United SportsCar Racing series for 2014.
In regards to the GTLM class, the Grand Touring Le Mans class in the future United SportsCar Racing Series, we are prepared and are currently looking at our options to compete in this class.

We'll continue to use our entire racing line, the ExtremeContact line for all of these classes, including the spec tire, an exclusive tire of the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge series.

We'll also continue part of the contract, part of our agreement moving forward with United SportsCar is an increase in our at-track involvement as well as our off-track involvement with media and of course with our dealer groups who support our vision for Continental Tires' involvement in motorsports in the future.

With that, I'm pleased to say we are moving forward with this commitment and have a deep commitment to motorsports and to sports car racing in the United States in 2014 and beyond.

Thank you very much, Ed, and all of your team, Scott Atherton, Scot Elkins, and the entire group at IMSA for all of your hard work to make this a possibility, and we are truly looking forward to the future. Thank you very much.
THE MODERATOR: Let's move to Scot Elkins who will address another aspect of today's news regarding the 2014 GT Le Mans class.

SCOT ELKINS: Thanks, Nate. Thanks everybody. It's a very, very historic day, and we appreciate the work that everybody's done, especially with our partners at Continental Tire. Today is about them, and I think that's very important. The one aspect I just wanted to touch on was the openness of the tire competition in the GT Le Mans class. And the primary aspect is because we've made it clear that we want to stay consistent with the ACO regulations for this class. By keeping the tires open, it allows us to keep those regulations consistent and also gives the manufacturers who are the dominant competitors in this class the opportunity to retain the relationships that they have with their respective tire companies.

It's another aspect and another side of kind of proof in the pudding of how we're taking the best of both worlds aspect of this merger and blending unique aspects of each series, the ALMS and GRAND-AM together. That's just another facet of how we're doing it, and it's a unique opportunity for us to enable ourselves to have single specified tires and have an open class that meets the manufacturer goals.

So, again, thanks to Continental Tire for allowing us this opportunity and allowing us to head forward in the future.

THE MODERATOR: Let's move to Ryan Dalziel for his comments. Ryan, you've competed pretty extensively on both sides of the series that are merging. Your thoughts on some exciting news today?

RYAN DALZIEL: Yeah, you know, just to kind of echo what the other guys have said. This is obviously an exciting day and one of the many great announcements we're going to see over the next few months here in preparation for next year.

But I was actually just thinking back to the race over the weekend, and it reminded me of the Formula 1 race in 2005 where tires played a key role, and it just proves how difficult Continental's job is and really the huge gains that we've made over the past couple years, and to get to the point where we were able to double-stint tires at Indianapolis. I think that's unheard of, and really many other manufacturers.

So it's great for us. It's great that we're going to have a consistent package going forward. I think that once we get the cars compared between P2 and DP and PC, we're going to be able to open up and start moving forward.

But I've had the opportunity to drive the LMPC car on both Michelins and Continentals and it's a great tire. We really are pretty happy with it. I don't know if people saw the race, but our car was pretty well on Continental, so I'm pretty happy we're sticking with them.

THE MODERATOR: Let's go ahead and open to Q&A for today's tire strategy with Continental.

Q. With the changeover, it's obvious that Continental has been very involved with the sport, but will there be more testing out there with this full program or will there be more testing available for the competitors?
SCOT ELKINS: Primarily we'll allow more testing in the classes that haven't been on Continentals previously, which is probably the combined Prototype class. The other classes, the PC class, has been running on Continentals all this year, and the combined GTD class, most of those guys know the Continentals very, very well already.

So I think we'll do some additional testing for the combined Prototype, but the other classes probably won't see any kind of an increase in their tire testing.

THE MODERATOR: Thank you everybody for your participation. As I said exciting news for the future. Stay tuned for more. We're obviously very excited about next weekend's event at Road America which will feature both the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series and the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón, as well as a number of our development series. Thanks again for joining us.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Is Hoosier making these tires? Right now that's the case. This is a huge deal for Hoosier if they keep the contract from Continental.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
Old 08-03-2013, 01:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The GT Le Mans category (GTLM)
Most in this class are on Mich tires.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:34 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This could be a bigger deal than we first think. Both the Corvette and Porsche are designed around Michelin tires.

Just ask the guys at Falken what they have to go through to get the Porsches to handle on their tires.

Richard Newton
Old 08-03-2013, 01:49 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
This could be a bigger deal than we first think. Both the Corvette and Porsche are designed around Michelin tires.

Just ask the guys at Falken what they have to go through to get the Porsches to handle on their tires.

Richard Newton
Just to be clear, the Corvettes/Porsches/etc can use whatever tires they want:

"The GT Le Mans category (GTLM) will remain as an open-tire specification to allow for open competition."
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Most in this class are on Mich tires.
Because they are the fastest!

Jim
Old 08-03-2013, 06:15 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Just to be clear, the Corvettes/Porsches/etc can use whatever tires they want:

"The GT Le Mans category (GTLM) will remain as an open-tire specification to allow for open competition."
but P2 gets hosed? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, that makes no sense. Someone in GT obviously made enough noise to allow the open spec.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Porsche, Ferrari, Aston and Chevy. None of those guys want to deal with the "Conti" rocks during the pre and post-season and Michelins at Le Mans.
The "world spec" for that class plays into the idea that they should be on proper slicks year round instead of taking on new development work to get them to work in Grand-Am.
P2 teams are small fish.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Not a smart move by USCR. Now they are eliminating the possibility of more competition coming from overseas in the floundering LMP classes. That's a terrible decision to make a tire that's not competitive with the best the required tire.

So we will still have a bunch of races with 3 or 4 LMP2 cars......
Old 08-04-2013, 12:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026

Richard Newton
is that team even running Falkens?

some of those pics the tire look like Mich tires.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

dumb move to make majority of classes run a spec tire IMHO but i am sure conti aka threw some big $ at them
Old 08-04-2013, 11:22 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by dvandentop
dumb move to make majority of classes run a spec tire IMHO but i am sure conti aka threw some big $ at them
this is sad news and something I feared would happen to the Prototypes.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:48 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

If you have questions, I'm here.

Note also I was on Goodyear SuperCar 3's, which are quite good but not a full out every .1 autocross tire. And my car is 100% SS legal though as many know I like my Hoosier's so I tend to run SSR. A few others drivers there in the same kind of thing, stock class cars. Pilson is a stock car with bigger front wheels, etc.

My car isn't 100% stock. Currently a bigger front bar, and i run Penske's not MRC shocks.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:23 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I think you posted that in the wrong thread. This one is 7 years old.

Get notified of new replies

To ALMS/Grand Am Merger NEWS Continental Tire deal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ALMS/Grand Am Merger NEWS Continental Tire deal