Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange trip to HPR

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 PM
JemeJordan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange trip to HPR

So I decided to drive my Corvette to Denver this weekend to take a High Performance Driving class at High Planes Raceway with my new Corvette. So I left this morning at 4am barely awake and of course first thing, I spilled my coffee all over my new 50th Anniversary Corvette t-shirt while getting on the highway. I then had to drive like Mister Magoo through a 50-mile long fog bank that seem to only be on the highway (in Montana Really?) at a blistering speed of 35mph.(absolute agony in a Corvette). Once I finely got to Casper I stopped for gas and while I was twiddling my thumbs looking at all the freaks who were in turn looking back at me with complete and utter hatred) I heard something that sounded a little like Niagara Falls behind me only to turn around and find that the pump nozzle (that’s suppose to shut off), stuck open basically showering the left side of my Corvette with gasoline forming a large pond of fuel underneath me car. No problem Earl (Of Earls garage) offered to give me a free car wash which I couldn’t use because it was one of those 1962 Car wash machine, (you know the ones that grab your wheels in a track, then rip out your under carriage while the big spinning cloth spinners tear your side mirrors off. No Thanks I said but thanks anyhow and how about getting those pump nozzles fixed sometime? So with no other real options I hopped back in my car thinking yep this is where I burn and Die at Earls gas station in Caper Wyoming, (Really? Its going to happen like this)? So off I went looking for a spray wash to rinse the gas off before it ruined the paint job. (This was highly recommended my Earl). Then later wanting to call Julie and tell her of the events it was then that I discovered that both my cell phone and GPS were completely dead and I had no way of calling anyone or using my GPS to figure out where I was going in the first place. Oh well finely back on the highway to Fort Collins, Dam, ran right smack dab into a major traffic jam from a multi car pile up that stretched all the way from Ft Collins to Denver, No problem I did 35mph in the Fog for 50 miles I can do 10mph stop and goes for 20 more miles, (Hell Im from California). Once I cleared that mess, thinking the worst must be over I got off on the highway that takes you to Byers and next thing I see is a series of small tornados racing across the highway tossing a guy pulling a truck and jet stream camper (who thought that driving as fast as he can would help) all over the road right in front of me. which I somehow just managed to avoid. Finely I made it to my Motel just in time to turn on the TV and have the weather guy say, Yep more severe weather and tornados are expected in your area. Oh did I mention that for some reason there is a weird goat named Leroy tied up to a tree outside my Motel room that is very upset and apparently doesn’t like tornados either.

You just cant make up stuff like this. Oh well tomorrow will be really fun and I’m really looking forward to it

Pictures http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...tos-35827.html
Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Great story. Ha! Have fun.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the same thing at summit point, only I set the pump and walked inside, oops. Gas everywhere, I just bought a bottle of water and poured over the car.

Its still better then being at work
Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

After the adrenaline rush of the track day, you won't remember any of that - well maybe the goat.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice goat.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

JemeJordan we should meet up. I am also in Billings and just bought a Z06. I took my STI to HPR last month and had a blast. We are renting the track in Helena again over labor day weekend, so if you are interested in a track day closer to home send me a message! It is no HPR, but it is unlimited track time and very casual. We always have a good mix of cars and run sun up to sun down sat/sun.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange trip to HPR

Quick Reply: Strange trip to HPR