Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Performance Driving Schools

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default High Performance Driving Schools

I may have the ability to attend a High Performance Driving school in a couple months and wanted to get some feedback from others who have attended a school/program as well.

I've always heard good things about about Skip Barber, Boundurant and Ron Fellows but how do they compare...

For purposes of this post lets say that as long as the school is in the US travel is not an issue.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

To get a good answer, you need to tell us what your goals are.

All 3 listed are very good.

But are you aiming to get a race license? Want to drive an Open wheel car? Want to drive a Z06? etc.

If you want to drive your own car, you can do it at Homestead.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

I did the 2 day Skip Barber school a few years ago. Used their cars.
First day was more instructional, braking and lane changes, skid pad, etc...
Second day was more classroom, track time, lead-follow only.

Last year I did the 3 day racing school, Formula open wheel cars. That was a real racing school. Lots of track time, learning the correct lines, etc. With that diploma, you can get your probationary regional SCCA license. Last day was open track. Race your classmates.

I did both classes at Lime Rock Park.
I would recommend both schools to anyone.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

To answer your question Bill32 I would like to accomplish 2 things; first enhance my skill set even further (the best mod is always to the driver), second I would like to work towards having a race license. I would love to be able to race one day as a personal goal but when I do I want to at least be somewhat competitive.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MongoZ06
To answer your question Bill32 I would like to accomplish 2 things; first enhance my skill set even further (the best mod is always to the driver), second I would like to work towards having a race license. I would love to be able to race one day as a personal goal but when I do I want to at least be somewhat competitive.
OK, first I'm in my 17 year as a SCCA licensed instructor and I train new instructors. And I do driver coaching for guys who want to get their license.

You really have 2 different goals (both good).

What Subfixer said is a pretty good description of 2 different programs at the same school.

The first is a High Performance Driving program which is a good way to start out. And the skills are transferable to the Racing program.

The second is full bore racing and a way to get a license.

Any of those schools listed are excellent for both and I'll include the Jim Russell school at Sears Point.

IF you don't mind driving your own car on the track, the SCCA PDX events have the full classroom sessions and all driving is done with an instructor (at least ours are). And NASA, BWM, Audi and PCA (Porsche) clubs do the same thing (the level of the instructors varies though).
You can run these with minimal car prep (for your first event) and you won't be driving fast enough to hurt your car.
The big thing here is that you can do these in the $200 - $400 range.

If you decide to go to a pro school, go to their websites, read the program info and pick one of the four, you really can't make a wrong pick here.

One thing on the racing schools, you should attend one when you're very close to actually racing, like already owing the race car.
SCCA and probably NASA, require 2 races per year to maintain your license.
And you want the school experience fresh in your mind when you hit the track.

Good Luck
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

For the cost of one of the schools you can do 3 to 4 weekend HPDE's in your own car. Of course, if you have already gotten the basics doing track days you may find the 3 day advanced road race course at Bondurant beneficial.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

I've got the basics down and probably a little more, I have done a number of track days with the PCA and have been solo'd.
So now I'd like to take my skill set even further and attend a driving school.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of us have been down this road ( pun intended) I noticed that you are in Fla, so I would tell you to look at doing the Skip Barber 3 day school at Road Atlanta. This is my home track and it is world class for road racing. I took the 3 day at RA and learned so much.....went on to do the SB MX5 race weekend. By the way, if you sign up with SB for their emails you will get many discount offers for these programs .
Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

All excellent.
I would add Spring Mountain to the list, since you said location was not a consideration.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

You can't beat the Ron Fellow's school at Spring Mountain. If you check some of the other posts on this forum about all of these schools, I think you will find that you get a lot more in car seat time with this school. A great place with top notch cars and instructors. JD
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM
jstewart10
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default another corvette school

What about the Jupiter Florida guys - any feedback on them? I am also considering a school.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JDIllon
You can't beat the Ron Fellow's school at Spring Mountain. If you check some of the other posts on this forum about all of these schools, I think you will find that you get a lot more in car seat time with this school. A great place with top notch cars and instructors. JD
Agreed.

The one thing about the Spring Mountain racing program though is, you will not walk away with your racing license, SM gives you a recommendation for an SCCA license, you still have to do the Novice program.

Skip Barber, Boundurant and Jim Russell schools - you leave with a full SCCA Regional License.

This doesn't take away anything about the quality of SM but needs to be noted if you plan to race.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

As you pointed out!!! SCCA requires at least 2 races per year to maintain a license!!! I have found that when, that is pointed out!! a lot of people are not quite as enthused to get a competition license. JD
Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

As you pointed out!!! SCCA requires at least 2 races per year to maintain a license!!! I have found that when, that is pointed out!! a lot of people are not quite as enthused to get a competition license. JD
Well, respectfully...........why have a comp license if you're not going to use it?

That would be like building a race car and leaving it sit in the garage.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
Well, respectfully...........why have a comp license if you're not going to use it?

That would be like building a race car and leaving it sit in the garage.
Many Corvette owners do just that. LOL
Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Drive the schools car or your car ?

and Florida?

Just down the road at Henry Gilbert's race school in Moroso FL

http://www.sportscardrivingexperienc...tails.php?id=2

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-06-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Well that changes the perspective of having a race license but I understand why they would require 2 races per year.

I guess then my goal would be to just further my skill set even more and learn from those who would be experts in the field.

I'll check out Henry Gilbert's school, I've never heard of that one

Get notified of new replies

To High Performance Driving Schools

Old 08-06-2013, 05:55 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Started in 2004, close to 10 years in the business now. Some of the best pro drivers in the country have been instructors at our school, and some very good talent has come from our school to race in the pro ranks.
Corvette is the car of choice, almost 4 hours of track time per day WITH a pro instructor at your side every lap you take. Only a 1/2 hour of classroom and the rest of the time it's in the car!
Regional SCCA license possible after a 2 day course.
Arrive & Drive program for racing or track days.

www.sportscardrivingexperience.com

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-06-2013, 06:18 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Henry does a great job! JD
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Well that changes the perspective of having a race license but I understand why they would require 2 races per year.

I guess then my goal would be to just further my skill set even more and learn from those who would be experts in the field.

That doesn't stop you from taking the racing courses, but you don't need to spend the money to get the license after you take the course.

If you do decide to race later, you can go to the SCCA or NASA licensing school (with your race car) for around $375 then run 2 races with your novice license and they will give you your regional license.

Quick Reply: High Performance Driving Schools