Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got some 87's Turbine(?) wheels. Looking for tips to clean, polish and maybe paint.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Lemayilleur
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some 87's Turbine(?) wheels. Looking for tips to clean, polish and maybe paint.

I got myself a set of 4 9.5" wheels.

[ALBUM]

The back of the wheel had a whole lot of crap sticked to it. Every product I tried would't clean it well(Brake cleaner, degreaser, Acid/Water mix, high temp pressure wash). I ended up brushing it all off.

Now for the front; there's a clear coat/film on the face and there's also a gray-ish paint in the vents/middle of the wheel. I'd like to remove all of it without damaging the wheel (like brushing does). I tried using paint stripper and it works very well. The problem with paint stripper is that it need quite a lot of it and the process is slow. Should I buy enough paint stripper to be able to soak the face of the wheel in it - save a ton of time, but maybe costly?

Next up when I manage to remove the paint/coat, I'll have to sand and buff the wheel. I have to tool available to do this, but not sure how to approach the task. Looking at any info that could help a beginner do this. The 86-87 are polish-able to a high lustre, but I've heard that polished aluminium doesn't look good for long. Anything I can do to protect them once they are polished?

Last but not least, I'd be painting the vents and middle section gloss black. I never painted on aluminium and have no idea how do to this effectively.

Thanks for your help/time.

Last edited by Lemayilleur; 08-12-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I did that years ago and the only thing I could figure out was a lot of work and elbow grease. Google and You Tube and lots of grades of polishing sticks will eventually work.
"http://www.flickr.com/photos/pkincy/9414155908/"

Quick Reply: Got some 87's Turbine(?) wheels. Looking for tips to clean, polish and maybe paint.