Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight grooving from Hawk hp+ pads? Video.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Slight grooving from Hawk hp+ pads? Video.

What do you think? Normal?

With the exception of these minor grooves The pads are 100% OK for street/auto so far as I am concerned.

Comments?

Last edited by froggy47; 08-14-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:37 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

link doesn't work
however HP+ does seem to make ripples in the rotor, it seems to work ok anyhow i just put in new pads and let them fit themselves
Old 08-14-2013, 12:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
link doesn't work
however HP+ does seem to make ripples in the rotor, it seems to work ok anyhow i just put in new pads and let them fit themselves
Sorry Ernie, I reposted the link, it should be ok now. Sometimes the copy/paste doesn't work right the first time.

The grooves do not seem to be any worse after a couple of events.

My guess is that there is a quality control issue on the granular size of some of the compound material they use.

Good price, though, I'd probably get them again.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Sorry Ernie, I reposted the link, it should be ok now. Sometimes the copy/paste doesn't work right the first time.

The grooves do not seem to be any worse after a couple of events.

My guess is that there is a quality control issue on the granular size of some of the compound material they use.

Good price, though, I'd probably get them again.

I think they are overheating a bit. Seems common w/ pads that are not quite up to track use. Grooving is where hard oxides are forming and chewing up the rotor.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I had the same results with HP+ on my old GTO. I stepped up to a DTC pad and haven't had it happen since.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:28 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks guys this is a compromise street/autox pad, I would not use on track.

What would be a better street/autox pad in your experience(s)

Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Bob,

Check out my thread. Basically I needed to bed in the pads. I figured it was just an autocross, and it should bed them in driving on the course. Didn't work out.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-of-rotor.html

Steve A.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
link doesn't work
I agree. Nothing wrong, sometimes they groove the rotors some times they don't.

Bill
Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same phenomenon happened to me with those pads, I was told by experienced racers they were overheating.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I spoke at length with a hawk tech today. He says they shouldn't do that. He thinks that cleaning up the used rotor is not enough & thinks I should have turned them. I can't really argue that, but they DID bed in ok & no glaze. They stop fine. BTW the grooves came after bedding in and b4 I did competition. Just 2 weeks of street driving.

fwiw

Old 08-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I ran Hawk HPS on my truck and switched to Hawk LTS. I like the LTS better than the HPS, but both have caused the grooves in the rotors that you've seen on your car. Nothing I've worried myself about just yet, the pedal feel is still great.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I have come up with a theory on this.

I did not turn the rotor so there was a small lip left behind.

The NEW pad made contact with the lip before it "broke it" and conformed it's shape to the rotor (lip) shape.

During the 2 weeks of street driving this slight uneven pressing of the pad to the rotor caused some unusual wear (for a reason unknown to me) and resulted in the slight grooves.

Now that the pad has worn & conformed to the rotor all is as normal.

Conclusion, turn rotors, don't leave lip. Or you could grind a little off the pad area where it will contact the lip.

What do you guys think???

Just got off the phone with tech support, he showed the vid to another guy or 2 at Hawk & they think it's likely the rotor wear is not uniform, probably thinner at the out edge & causing the uneven wear/grooving. I guess I should have turned the rotors, but it's really not that bad. I could throw some fresh rotors on maybe, the pads are still just about new.

Cheers!

Last edited by froggy47; 08-15-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:05 PM
justkickin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run HP+ as well. I get that some times as well with fresh sets. One round of autox or some lapping and the problem goes away.

I run white box rotors so they are cheap enough to replace when ever I feel like it.

Sounds like you have a logical and reasonable theory going there.

I just wish the HP+ didn't dust so much. Oh well, the stopping power is worth it IMHO. Wheel cleaner is cheap enough.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by justkickin
I run HP+ as well. I get that some times as well with fresh sets. One round of autox or some lapping and the problem goes away.

I run white box rotors so they are cheap enough to replace when ever I feel like it.

Sounds like you have a logical and reasonable theory going there.

I just wish the HP+ didn't dust so much. Oh well, the stopping power is worth it IMHO. Wheel cleaner is cheap enough.
Yeah, guess I should have turned the rotors, but really no harm done.

Yes they are dirty pads, but (and I'm not a fanatic on clean wheels) so far I've always been able to clean them off ever couple of months or so.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overheating the pad material.
I overheated some Hawk HT-10s in one session and both the rotor and pads has massive (1mm) deep grooves. Both the rotors and pads were wasted. I always ran DTC60s but they only had the HT10s in stock. I'll never do that again.
You don't run hp+ on track do you? This is just for autox right? You would want a more aggressive pad for track than HP+.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by joenationwide
You don't run hp+ on track do you? This is just for autox right? You would want a more aggressive pad for track than HP+.
Actually yes some of us do as they work fine with street tires
more agresive pads just make it harder to modulate
Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by joenationwide
Overheating the pad material.
I overheated some Hawk HT-10s in one session and both the rotor and pads has massive (1mm) deep grooves. Both the rotors and pads were wasted. I always ran DTC60s but they only had the HT10s in stock. I'll never do that again.
Hi,

I don't think so because all I did was break them in & street drive 2 weeks b4 the event. Then when I changed wheels (a6) I noticed the grooves.

Of course hp+ are NOT track pads, except maybe for the greenest novice. Maybe.

Get notified of new replies

To Slight grooving from Hawk hp+ pads? Video.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Unusual wear pattern for auto-xing. That the grooving appears to be from your pad's compound is perplexing also. (I've had similar grooving appear after going off line and picking up the sand and grit left there from running on concrete. Just had to clean the pads to rid myself of the embedded small stones.) The only real problem I've had with HP+ pads is the amount of dusting I get during auto-x and street driving. (I end up cleaning the wheels about every two weeks or so.)

I'm a dedicated Hawk brake pad user so I really don't have anything to recommend for auto-xing other than the HP+. You might want to contact CarboTech Adam who supports this forum to see if he has any recommendations. I know a lot of my C5 buddies use CarboTech pads and seem to be happy.

Good Luck resolving the problem.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 491 Likes on 418 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

This

Smarter construction.

Only Carbotech uses a proprietary Ceramic and Metallic brake construction, not the carbon and iron used in conventional brake systems. Since carbon and iron combine to form carbide, which is used in cutting tools, you can imagine what those brakes are doing to your rotors.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
This

Smarter construction.

Only Carbotech uses a proprietary Ceramic and Metallic brake construction, not the carbon and iron used in conventional brake systems. Since carbon and iron combine to form carbide, which is used in cutting tools, you can imagine what those brakes are doing to your rotors.
I still have a ****ling thought in the back of my mind that something in the compound didn't like the break in or rotor and got harder than the rest of the compound. I point that out in the video.

I may try some of yours when I wear these out. Do they ever go on sale, they are a tad pricier than the Hawk.

Quick Reply: Slight grooving from Hawk hp+ pads? Video.