Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Wheel Studs

Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Racing Wheel Studs

I've been looking for replacement wheels studs without much luck finding what I want and I'm hoping someone on here can help. ARP studs are easy to find, but I really like having a tapered or bullet nose on the stud to make things easier when you are trying to change tires quickly. The only metric ARPs I can find don't have that, although most of their standard size studs do. I know GMPP makes studs like this, but I was hoping to find something shorter since I don't need huge spacers. Ideally, I'm looking for something like Pfadt's Camaro kit but for a C5. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 08-15-2013, 01:12 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 08-15-2013, 01:25 PM
ltborg
Drifting

I did call Pfadt yesterday to see if they had something unlisted that would work. I still haven't been able to figure out if the Camaro studs would work in the Corvette hubs.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Are you looking for something like NASCAR studs where you are going to glue the nuts to the rims and pit stop them on?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 271 Likes on 213 Posts

Wheel studs will be just fine if you don't let an impact wrench near them. The biggest problem is people hit them with an air gun and stretch the bolt. Once you do that the stud is history. Here's a whole lot of nut and bolt material.

btw - Those air guns you see in NASCAR and Indy cost about $4,000. They're only vaguely similar to the impact guns that your local shop uses. Besides in NASCAR they use new studs for every race.

Richard Newton
Old 08-16-2013, 08:37 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
Are you looking for something like NASCAR studs where you are going to glue the nuts to the rims and pit stop them on?

Nothing that extreme, it's only autocross. I just like having the starter nose on the stud to help prevent cross threading. My stock studs are starting to look a little rough and I figure if I am replacing them anyway, may as well be with some nice ones.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltborg
Nothing that extreme, it's only autocross. I just like having the starter nose on the stud to help prevent cross threading. My stock studs are starting to look a little rough and I figure if I am replacing them anyway, may as well be with some nice ones.
I don't know of any, except the stock ones. So long as your nuts are good (I get new nuts every year) you won't have a problem threading them on (BY HAND). Then spin them on SLOW with a gun, then lower the car & torque.

I use a SMALL dab of anti sieze on the threads and the contact between wheel & nut.

Reduce torque spec about 10%.

Been doing that 10 years now about twice a month to swap wheels & zero issues.

I have 5 sets of wheels used for various events.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
I don't know of any, except the stock ones. So long as your nuts are good (I get new nuts every year) you won't have a problem threading them on (BY HAND). Then spin them on SLOW with a gun, then lower the car & torque.

I use a SMALL dab of anti sieze on the threads and the contact between wheel & nut.

Reduce torque spec about 10%.

Been doing that 10 years now about twice a month to swap wheels & zero issues.

I have 5 sets of wheels used for various events.

That's basically what I do except the replacing the lug nuts. It sounds like a good idea to add those to my wear items list. I did that this weekend and it helped on all but a couple studs that still feel like they aren't torquing down properly.

With the spacers I may use I would like a little more length in the studs (at least 0.25" if not 0.5"). The nose on the studs is more for when someone not familiar with tire changes helps with them, just as extra insurance.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltborg
That's basically what I do except the replacing the lug nuts. It sounds like a good idea to add those to my wear items list. I did that this weekend and it helped on all but a couple studs that still feel like they aren't torquing down properly.

With the spacers I may use I would like a little more length in the studs (at least 0.25" if not 0.5"). The nose on the studs is more for when someone not familiar with tire changes helps with them, just as extra insurance.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I had a thought that maybe if you got with a chevy parts man he could find some lugs with bullet ends off another vehicle with the length you desire. Or maybe caddy or other gm. I bet they all have bullet end.

You'll need to do some digging & measuring.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 AM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default racing studs

I got mine from MSI in Roseville, CA. I think they are a GM Performance stud.
Call Mark or Terry @ 916-784-2323

Steve Cleveland
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Canam
Pro

Moroso. When in doubt use the stock car parts stuff. If they don't have the shanked ones, get 3 or 4 inch studs and grind the top 5 threads off.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chiming in late but I'm having work done on the car and upgrading to MSI wheel studs and lug nuts. While the ARP studs are supposed to be good, several people with a lot of racing experience said MSI is top of the line. A little more money, but worth it. And they handle heat better when swapping tires while everything is still hot.

http://www.msiracingproducts.com/products.html

You'll probably need an aftermarket shop to get them for you from what I'm told.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI - if there is enough interest and consensus on length, ARP will make them to requested length. This is per a conversation with them a few years back when I was repl my rear studs. I ended up just cutting their std ones as I didn't need spacers. Don't know how many it would require to make sense cost wise, but I bet you could get a bit of interest here for the stock lengths.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:09 PM
outsideline
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Wheel studs

Check with DRM's holiday sale page 2, on this page.
See if that is what you are looking for
Old 12-13-2013, 04:24 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Access to a lathe? Wouldn't be hard to buy some longer than you wanted and turn down the ends.

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Wheel Studs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racing Wheel Studs