Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good entry level helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Default Good entry level helmets?

Hey all,

I'm looking into getting a helmet to start going some track days and such. I was thinking of getting a basic sa2010 helmet, and was looking for some recommendations.

My first instinct was to get a Simpson Bandit, but was afraid I'd get the nickname "The Stig's Sucky Cousin". Not really but its like 400 $ and some others like the HJC and the like are considerably less. Amazon has some sweet deals on those and G-Force helmets.

What should I be looking for? I am ok with buying something in the $400 range if its worth it, but if I can spend 300 or less and get the same thing, I'm not the type to throw money away.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My $0.02...

The most important thing with helmets is: the fit. Go to a local track retailer and try on as many helmets as you can, then buy the best fitting bucket in your price range. You would be surprised how differently a large Simpson and large Bell helmet fits.

And for a reference point, I love my $300 HJC AR-10.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I picked up an HJC AR-10 this spring as well and have been very pleased with it. I followed their sizing guide and ordered it based on that and the fit was great. I shopped hem online in the spring and ended up paying ~$230ish for it.

If you have the opportunity to try them on before you buy them that's definitely the way to go.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for the HJC, but as stated, you need to try on a few or else you may end up with a headache after 10 minutes.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

My personal opinion.....is that : "If you have an "Entry Level Head"...........then get and "Entry Level Helmet"
Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a difference between paying for features and paying for safety. Paying more for a helmet does not necessarily mean that it is any safer.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I picked up a simpson bandit on Amazon for 260 on their warehouse deals.. Keep an eye on helmets you like and you can likely get one at a good discount...

Amazon also lets you easily return them if for whatever reason you don't like it when you receive it.. So if sizing is just a touch off (I had to base it off my motorcycle helmets as there weren't any shops that carry racing helmets in stock)

Im very happy with the bandit. A lot of folks go open face if you race in the hot climates, but I like the full protection and full face doesn't bother me...

I originally picked up a G force carbon fiber on amazon warehouse, but what arrived was a standard (not carbon fiber) and they refunded my money before I even sent the old one back...
Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 PM
getkong
Instructor

i'd make sure it fits very well. i had tried ordering one online, but it didn't fit my head at all, even with an XL. then went to the racetrack and bought a Bell in medium that fits perfectly.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

There is really no such thing as an entry level helmet. It is either Snell (or FIA) approved or not. Both the Snell and FIA tests are a pass fail situation. If you pay more money you might get a lighter helmet but you won't necessarily get a safer one.

Fit is the key to everything. Also keep in mind that the new standards take effect in 2015. At that point the Snell and FIA standards will be exactly the same.

Here's an article I wrote for Vintage Motorsport magazine a few months back. Both Snell and the FIA helped me put this together and they agreed with everything I say in the article.

The people who try to sell you expensive helmets had a few issues with me. They could never never come up with good data to prove their helmets were actually better though.

Richard Newton
Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Different helmets fit different head shapes.

I bought this one after Saferacer sent me a few that didn't fit.

I would buy from Kenny@Saferacer, that guy bent over backwards for me.

http://www.ogracing.com/simpson-k-10-sa2010-helmet-10
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the G-Force SA2005 rated Hybrid. It was only like $175. It is a good cross between full face and open face. Been using it for over 5 1/2 years. Been meaning to put some graphics on it someday.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my experience with Pyrotect helmets:

No local helmet shop? Order a Pyrotect and customize with resizable cheek pads.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 AM
getkong
Instructor

my fit problems weren't really in the cheeks, but mostly in the temples. I have a fat head.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 PM
sleeperstyle
Instructor

i got the g force carbon fiber helmet- well i believe it is actually carbon composite but it is lighter than most of my friend's helmets and it was under 400- i think i paid 350. i have done 10- 12 days with it and a lot of carting, its decent for the price
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I have a Zamp and paid about $230 for it. I like it
Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
sheshnwoody
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone's head is different, agree with all to try it before you buy it. Prime example: I was thinking I could buy online based on reviews and measurements. Boy I was wrong, I tried the one I thought would be perfect at a track day with vendor present and it gave me a headache. So Bell helmets just don't fit my head. I went with the HJC AR10 II. Felt much better and was same price. I would make sure you get the predrilled holes for Hans anchor, just in case you get the harnesses.

Last edited by sheshnwoody; 08-30-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Leftlane_1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
There is really no such thing as an entry level helmet. It is either Snell (or FIA) approved or not. Both the Snell and FIA tests are a pass fail situation. If you pay more money you might get a lighter helmet but you won't necessarily get a safer one.

Fit is the key to everything. Also keep in mind that the new standards take effect in 2015. At that point the Snell and FIA standards will be exactly the same.

Here's an article I wrote for Vintage Motorsport magazine a few months back. Both Snell and the FIA helped me put this together and they agreed with everything I say in the article.

The people who try to sell you expensive helmets had a few issues with me. They could never never come up with good data to prove their helmets were actually better though.

Richard Newton
Great read! thanks for posting.

And Im glad I searched first because I was just about to make a new thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Good entry level helmets?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Thanks

Richard Newton
Old 09-07-2013, 07:49 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

So for those interested, I purchased an HJC AR-10 II from Amazon for a steal. According to their size chart, it should fit me well, but it's a bit tight. Truthfully, I fall right in between small and medium on their chart, but supposedly they run large, which is not my experience. The fit is pretty good overall, but it's a bit shorter than I'd like, and the cheeks are a bit tighter than I'd like. Good excuse to lose some facial fat, sure, but makes it uncomfortable to talk, which I figure means it's a bit too small.

I also decided I think the white helmets are boring. I know they're supposed to be functional, but I can't escape the fact that I find them boring. So now I've ordered a G-Force CFG series Carbon Fiber helmet in medium. Should be lighter than the HJC (which was pretty light to begin with), and it's a bit nicer looking (other than the absurd looking flame pattern down the center... I'll have to cover that or something). It's also a little bit bigger so it should fit me better, and the smoked shield is HALF the price of the HJC, which is cool. So I get a CF helmet with a smoked shield for essentially the same cost as the non CF one with the smoked shield.

It should be here next week, will update then.

As an aside, I did like the HJC helmet overall, it felt like it would hold up well despite the low price tag. I didn't like the way the shield is held in place, there's a little metal nub that holds it down, and so you've got to bend the shield out and over it to release it, or drag it across the shield and scratch it. Not exactly a high tech or quality solution.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

What you will likely find is that you never wear the shield..... No reason to unless you are open cockpit... All the guys I run with just wear our sunglasses if its sunny...

Quick Reply: Good entry level helmets?