Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My turn. Ripped axle boot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default My turn. Ripped axle boot.

A very small rip less then a 1/16" right near the big clamp side. On the edge. Any ideas on fixing it?

Thanks,

Steve A.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:35 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Whatever you do, make sure you have not leaked lube so that the axle joint is starved and thus prone to failure. Only way to be sure is to remove boot to inspect/relube joint.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

There was a puddle of grease on the inside of the wheel. What kind of clamp and tool is need to slide the boot back to relube?

thanks,
Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I've torn many. Just buy a new shaft, they are 100$
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

It looks like the boot is attached with metal crimp on "zip ties" like the kind that are on the front steering rack boot.

There is a special tool to make the crimp they sell for about $50. CV boot clamp pliers or something like that. Or you can try squeezing the clamp with needle nose maybe. If you squeeze too tight the metal clamp breaks, so not too tight.

You just break them off to remove.

I repaired a front steering rack boot with silicone tape & zip ties, it had worn thru from contact with the big sway bar.

Of course that boot doesn't spin.

If it's near the clamp you could try cleaning it up, regrease, wrap the tear with silicone tape & put new clamp on. You would be clamping the torn part up against a solid part of the axle.

If it were in the middle, I think a new boot is needed, only oem are any good from what I hear. If you can get just the boot.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my two cents worth....Also I have started using Big zip ties to hold the large side of the boot and with the axle boots I use you don't clamp the small side.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...nce-issue.html
Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys for all the tips. If I replace just the boot, how do you take the CV joint apart? I can get the axle out, but that's all I know. "geerookie" are you saying just plain old zip ties? How do you tell if their quality ones?

thanks,

Steve
Old 09-01-2013, 12:12 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rebuilt the CV on one of the rear axles on my C5Z. Hindsight says it would have been easier and better to just buy a new axle. They are a bit more than $100, but rebuilding and re packing the CV is a pain because of the special crimp you have to do. If you do that route, just rent the tool from a parts shop.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

The axle from GM is around $300. I've read that you shouldn't buy any aftermarket one. ??
Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Thanks guys for all the tips. If I replace just the boot, how do you take the CV joint apart? I can get the axle out, but that's all I know. "geerookie" are you saying just plain old zip ties? How do you tell if their quality ones?

thanks,

Steve
Taking it apart isn't that hard but the first time is a bit un-nerving. I can do a complete tear down, disassemble, clean repack and reassemble in about 45 minutes per axle now that I have done a few. The manual says to use a big steel awl to knock the end off but I use a 2x4 and a 3lb hammer. Works great and is a little safer for the axle IMO.

Here's what I use for ties
http://www.mcmaster.com/#7130k942/=obgefm

But you can also use these....they are a bit wider but plenty strong.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/36-in-Hea...4#.UiNFNTZwofc
Old 09-01-2013, 12:11 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I've used some form of glue (gorilla glue, goop) them wrapped that strechy silicone tape that attaches very well to itself (the stuff that repairs leaks on plumbing and garden hoses) over the top of that. It lasted 2 years+ of track days and hasn't shown any signs of coming off yet.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Okay guys, this is what I came up with. I cut the metal band and re-greased the inside. Still had a lot of grease in it. Put a big zip tie on to hold the boot back in place. Since the cut is right on the edge, I put another zip tie over the cut with silicone. Then I used some 5 minute epoxy to cover the small rip on the side of the boot. I'm sure your laughing but it might work. In reality, I'm sure I'll be buying another axle soon. Thanks for all the help.

Steve A.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Let us know how it holds. Did you try to get an oem boot only?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I just replaced a boot on my track-only Z06. I went with a DriveShaft Shop OEM 2010 Camaro boot and it was pretty straightforward. Knocking the halfshaft apart is unnerving as Greg (geerookie) mentioned, but there was nothing to it. I ran the car hard at VIR this weekend and everything looks good.

BTW, Advance Auto sells the crimp tool for $9.99. You don't need anything more. The next time I do it, I will just ziptie it as Greg also suggested.

If any of you are suggesting to get a $100 aftermarket halfshaft and put it on a track car, you must have never seen how the cheap aftermarket CV boots balloon out under speed and heat and grab the brake lines. If you have ever witnessed this, you would understand the dangers.

-Kevin
Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just rebuilt two axles yesterday. The first took an hour (learning curve). The second took about 20 minutes. The clamps are the biggest pain in the A$$. The rest is easy enough. Do a search for 'RESCUE TAPE'. The stuff is awesome. It saved us at the SCCA June Sprints this year when we tore a boot. Twice. We like it so much we contacted the business and we are now a distributor.

DO NOT use O'Reillys type replacement axles if you track your car. The boots are SOFT and EXPAND at high speed and hit things they aren't supposed to hit and really make a mess. (Ask me how I know this). They will fail EVERYTIME if you put the car on a dyno. (Ask me how I know).

Last edited by CP Thunder; 09-09-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

yep rescue taping is amazing for sure i bought about 10 rolls of it and have used for many purposes

Get notified of new replies

To My turn. Ripped axle boot.

Quick Reply: My turn. Ripped axle boot.