Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help Pull to right on initial application of brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:10 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default help Pull to right on initial application of brakes

hoping to grab a few more ideas ....

C5 Z06 stock braking system with SS lines. I am getting a pull to right side on initial application of brakes does not seem to matter rate of application (hard panic or soft normal stop) and only seems to be on inital application if you hold it straight through the first pull to right you can let go of wheel and does not pull to right its just that first hit..

Steps done so far
Bled entire system
removed left front caliper pulled 2 pistons out and made sure nothing wrong or sticking cleaned and reinstalled
Changed pads from PFC to Stock PBR pads
Cleaned and inspected all rotors
Inspected for leaks on all lines

Have not
replaced rotors
installed brand new pads

Recent work
Oil pan removed (so had to drop part of front end i think)
New Front Rack with new tie rod ends (was leaking so had to replace)
Track alignment by Long Road Racing .. they have done it for me many times.
T1 Sway bars installed (verified they are neutral)

Let me know your thoughts ...
Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

The only other thing I could think off the top of my head is to make sure you don't have a loose wheel bearing. It almost sounds like you are getting some sort of piston knock back on the left side since it just happens on initial application.

I had a similar issue and turned out I didn't torque down the wheel bearing bolts thus causing the rotors to wobble and causing the piston knock back.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Did they turn the rotors? What does "clean" the rotors mean?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

check the brake lines a partial collapse of the line can cause a delay of pressure to one caliper (left side?)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:29 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Had to fix this same issue recently for a customer that had an alignment done at one of the big name shops. Camber and toe was set, but the caster was jacked beyond belief.
When the pan was replaced, the whole front cradle had to come loose. I would check the positions of all 4 of the front eccentrics to make sure they're relatvely close in comparison to each other.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:01 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
Did they turn the rotors? What does "clean" the rotors mean?
Oh I just cleaned them very good just in case some fluid / oil or whatever got on them ...
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by crease-guard
The only other thing I could think off the top of my head is to make sure you don't have a loose wheel bearing. It almost sounds like you are getting some sort of piston knock back on the left side since it just happens on initial application.

I had a similar issue and turned out I didn't torque down the wheel bearing bolts thus causing the rotors to wobble and causing the piston knock back.
Ok good idea ... i can check the bearings but also maybe tap the brakes a bit to see if i can get rid of the knock back
Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Oh I just cleaned them very good just in case some fluid / oil or whatever got on them ...
When you change pad compounds you should always sand the rotor or do a light (lathe) turn and then bed in the new pads per mfg instructions, ck to see if you have any glaze spots, pad deposits etc on the new pads & on the rotors.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
When you change pad compounds you should always sand the rotor or do a light (lathe) turn and then bed in the new pads per mfg instructions, ck to see if you have any glaze spots, pad deposits etc on the new pads & on the rotors.

Ok i considered that but I have always been switching from track pads to street pads for the run home and never had any issues. When I had the PFC on the grab was much worse just because I think the bite on those pads is much better...
Old 09-02-2013, 10:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Ok i considered that but I have always been switching from track pads to street pads for the run home and never had any issues. When I had the PFC on the grab was much worse just because I think the bite on those pads is much better...
All these other suggestions are good also, but that would be the first thing I would ck, also since you say it's a quick pull then they work ok.

It may also wear off if it's a small glaze spot, but if it's a glaze on the pad you may need to redo the whole thing.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2nd the loose wheel bearing or hub suggestion. I had this exact problem one weekend, then the next weekend lost the brakes due to pad knockback. When I got in the pits I found I was missing a bolt in the hub and a 2nd of the 3 was loose.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by moespeeds
2nd the loose wheel bearing or hub suggestion. I had this exact problem one weekend, then the next weekend lost the brakes due to pad knockback. When I got in the pits I found I was missing a bolt in the hub and a 2nd of the 3 was loose.
ok ... Hub and rotors are my next focus point ... guy up the street turns rotors for 5 bucks so may do that just to see
Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First thing you should do is jack up the front end and grab that wheel and try to shake it side to side and up and down, see if there is any slop there.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by moespeeds
First thing you should do is jack up the front end and grab that wheel and try to shake it side to side and up and down, see if there is any slop there.
Yes ... going to inspect that hub heck all hubs first then move to the rotors also will look at the lines again make sure I did not miss something there ....
Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Wouldn't he want to check the hub on the front left for the pad knockback? If it pulls to the right, then the right caliper is gripping before the left?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:36 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by waddisme
Wouldn't he want to check the hub on the front left for the pad knockback? If it pulls to the right, then the right caliper is gripping before the left?
yes that is the side i am going to focus on tonight :-)
Old 09-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ok ... Hub and rotors are my next focus point ... guy up the street turns rotors for 5 bucks so may do that just to see
Try swapping the rotors and pads from left to right and see if the pulling follows directions. If not, you can rule out rotor/pad possibilities.

Get notified of new replies

To help Pull to right on initial application of brakes

Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Put another set of back up rotors and backup pads on and same problem ... checked hub and could not make it move at all on both sides front. I have not focused on rear is it possible for rear to be grabbing and pulling car to right ?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Another thought is to check your all your caliper pins for full, smooth, slide motion.

Last month I was chasing a slight yaw (a little less than a "pull") to the right with the car when braking at track speeds. I had done several of the same steps you are doing. Turned out to be just one of the caliper pins on the left rear brake was sticky at a certain position. Didn't notice it when I pulled the caliper or changed the pads. Cleaned and lubed and it fixed the problem.

Last edited by CONE RACER; 09-04-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by CONE RACER
Another thought is to check your all your caliper pins for full, smooth, slide motion.

Last month I was chasing a slight yaw (a little less than a "pull") to the right with the car when braking at track speeds. I had done several of the same steps you are doing. Turned out to be just one of the caliper pins on the right rear brake was sticky at a certain position. Didn't notice it when I pulled the caliper or changed the pads. Cleaned and lubed and it fixed the problem.
Did that on the front will look at the back tonight.

Hubs are old on all 4 corners (original) but have 0 flex or movement while they may need to be replaced on principle I cant see how they have anything to do with this problem as I cant move them at all

Quick Reply: help Pull to right on initial application of brakes