Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATEP VT15 and TPMS for 06-10

Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Default ATEP VT15 and TPMS for 06-10

I got the Dorman TPMSs and the ATEP VT15 today.

Only instructions include were how to turn on the sensor while in the tire.

Nothing about how to load the ATEP VT15 or whatever is needed given the usb cable and usb input inside the ATEP.

I presume they didn't just send me a cable and install a female usb port for no reason.

Anyone know what it is used for?

This needs to be done while the new tires are on the car and the others are some distance away I presume.

Also does anyone think I can install the TPMSs by letting the air out of the tire and breaking a bead and installing them and than reairing the tire? I don't have a tire machine but do have an air compressor at my garage.

Perry

Last edited by pkincy; 09-05-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Hi Perry

First of all, I assume you're talking about an ATEQ VT15.

Second of all, I don't have any first hand experience with the Dorman tire pressure sensors (i like the OE Schrader sensors), but I've read a number of posts on the forum that say the Dormans have given problems. I hope they work okay for you.

Third of all, you mention "06-10" - are you talking about model years and tire sensors that are compatible with those my's?? if so, you need to know that the 2005-2009 C6 used one type of tire pressure sensor, and the 2010 and newer use a different sensor. There is no sensor that will work in "06-10" c6's.

Now, as far as your ATEQ VT15 TPMS tool....it's a very basic tool and very simple to use. Put the car into the learn mode, put the antenna of the tool on the sidewall of the tire next to the valve stem, and push and release the left button. If it triggered the sensor you'll get a horn honk and can move on to the next sensor.

AFAIK the only reason for the cable is to upgrade the software in the tool - but for use with a C6 it shouldn't ever need to be upgraded.

It doesn't matter where other tires or sensors are located, as long as they are a couple feet away from the sensor you are trying to trigger. All TPMS tools have a very short effective range - the antenna of the tool needs to be within several inches of the sensor you want to trigger, so if other sensors are more than a couple feet away from the one you're triggering you won't trigger the wrong one.

The transmission from the sensor goes a lot farther - I've tested a wheel that was more than 80 feet away from the car and the signal from the sensor was easily received by the TPMS computer in the car. So, a set of tires doesn't need to be mounted on the car in order to program their sensors into the TPMS computer in the car - just make sure they're within 30 or 40 feet of the car for good reception by the receiver in the TPMS.

For that matter, you can program sensors into your TPMS that aren't even mounted in the wheels yet. Just put the car into the learn mode and trigger the sensors one at a time while holding them in your hand (again, don't have the sensors close to each other - hold the one you want to trigger a couple feet away from the others). Make sure you mark them as to the order you triggered them in - the first one will show up in the DIC as the Left Front, the second as the RF, the third as the RR, and the last one as the LR, so you want to mount them in the wheel that's going on that corner or your DIC display of pressure won't correspond to the proper location. If that happens, or if you later change position of your wheels, just do a relearn procedure to program in the proper locations of the sensors - it only takes about a minute.

You can break the bead and push down the sidewall to install the sensors, but if you don't have a tire machine it will probably be very difficult - I'd say impossible on a stiff sidewall runflat. I still think you'd need a tire machine even if you're working with Hoosiers or something else with a softer sidewall.

Good luck with your new sensors and TPMS tool!!

Bob
Old 09-06-2013, 11:40 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Bob,

Thank you very helpful. Yes, I have an 08 so was mistaken about the 06-10. It is 05-09, eh? Thank you.

These are non RF Cup tires and I might try to mount them myself. If it doesn't work I will put them in the truck and run them over to the local Discount tire.

I have new PSSs on the car but bought an extra set of wheels with used Cup tires and likely will get another set for summer tires although "summer" is not a big difference from "winter" in SD other than it is possible to get a spot of rain in the winter.

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:21 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Here's a picture from another forum member:

I don't believe that's a runflat, but a machine can push down the sidewall of a runflat as well.

Without a tire machine it will be difficult to break the bead, but if you can do it you may be able to push down the sidewall of your Cup tires enough to access the sensors as in the picture above.

Below is a video where I'm using a TIPS tool to program a set of tire pressure sensors into the TPMS computer in my car.

You'll use your VT15 in the exact same way. I believe the left button is the one you'll need to push to get the VT15 to transmit the signal to trigger the sensor.

After putting the car into the learn mode you have to trigger the first sensor (Left Front) within one minute or the learn mode will drop out.

You must hear a horn honk at each wheel (double honk at the last one - the Left Rear). That honk is confirmation that the sensor was triggered, sent out its data, and the data was properly logged into the TPMS memory.

Good luck!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To ATEP VT15 and TPMS for 06-10

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATEP VT15 and TPMS for 06-10