Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing zee Germans

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:29 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Chasing zee Germans

Had a good track weekend despite 100 degree heat both days. My last session on Sunday, found myself behind the German brigade and wanted to see if I could keep up. I think I represented us quite well. One of the drivers was a very lovely lady that came up to me afterwards to congratulate me on passing all of them and asked me what I had in the car. I coyly replied it was a stock LS6 (which it is) but did profess that the suspension and aero helped quite a bit (which it does).

Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
Had a good track weekend despite 100 degree heat both days. My last session on Sunday, found myself behind the German brigade and wanted to see if I could keep up. I think I represented us quite well. One of the drivers was a very lovely lady that came up to me afterwards to congratulate me on passing all of them and asked me what I had in the car. I coyly replied it was a stock LS6 (which it is) but did profess that the suspension and aero helped quite a bit (which it does).
Very nice. Gentle yet fast. You have great respect for machines.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Thanks, I want to make sure everyone (and their machines) goes home in one piece.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool, any pics of the car
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 AM
BossV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! What is your setup (suspension, brakes, ...)
Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

ill goin in. my german encounter at njmp 2 years back

Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Very cool, any pics of the car
This weekend was the first time I ran the car with the new aero and painted and numbers. I just purchased a few pictures taken during the weekend and will post up as soon as I get them.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by BossV8
Very nice! What is your setup (suspension, brakes, ...)
Car is gutted and caged, if it doesn't make it go forward, through the corner, stop better or for safety, it's been removed. Race seats, harness, cool suit setup and in car comms with the passenger. Engine and electrical cut off switch, battery relocated to rear.

Drive train: Stock tranny and diff. with coolers for both. Engine, stock LS6 with stock exhaust manifold, no cats, straight pipe resonators on the back. DeWitts radiator in stock position (not laid forward) with custom duct work to flow all the air from the front through the radiator. Setrab 25 row oil cooler. Custom dual catch can. Single spal fan in place of stock fans and shroud. Custom air breather setup feeding to stock throttle body. Dyno tuned to 379 hp and 374 Tq, which is pretty much a stock tune, just tweaked a bit for longevity and reliability.

Body: Custom front nose piece to turn into a true front breather, custom splitter and under tray. Aftermarket vented hood, ZR1 fenders. APR 67" wing.

Suspension: Brembo brakes, 4 piston. PFC 01 front, PFC 08 in rear. Stock Brembo street rotors in rear, Brembo race 72 vein rotors in front. Front spindle duct brake cooling, stock rear cooling. LG drop spindles all 4 corners, SKF race bearings with long ARP studs. Pfadt spherical bearings, Pfadt heavy rate sways front and back set to middle setting. Pfadt single adjustable coil overs 600 lb springs front and back.

Tires: 285 front, 315 rear Hoosier A6s (currently this past weekend) on Forgelines.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM
03SpiralGray
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is his car.

http://hart-photography.com/photocar...wImage=2246353
Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car is gutted and caged, if it doesn't make it go forward, through the corner, stop better or for safety, it's been removed. Race seats, harness, cool suit setup and in car comms with the passenger. Engine and electrical cut off switch, battery relocated to rear.

Drive train: Stock tranny and diff. with coolers for both. Engine, stock LS6 with stock exhaust manifold, no cats, straight pipe resonators on the back. DeWitts radiator in stock position (not laid forward) with custom duct work to flow all the air from the front through the radiator. Setrab 25 row oil cooler. Custom dual catch can. Single spal fan in place of stock fans and shroud. Custom air breather setup feeding to stock throttle body. Dyno tuned to 379 hp and 374 Tq, which is pretty much a stock tune, just tweaked a bit for longevity and reliability.

Body: Custom front nose piece to turn into a true front breather, custom splitter and under tray. Aftermarket vented hood, ZR1 fenders. APR 67" wing.

Suspension: Brembo brakes, 4 piston. PFC 01 front, PFC 08 in rear. Stock Brembo street rotors in rear, Brembo race 72 vein rotors in front. Front spindle duct brake cooling, stock rear cooling. LG drop spindles all 4 corners, SKF race bearings with long ARP studs. Pfadt spherical bearings, Pfadt heavy rate sways front and back set to middle setting. Pfadt single adjustable coil overs 600 lb springs front and back.

Tires: 285 front, 315 rear Hoosier A6s (currently this past weekend) on Forgelines.
where can I find the 4 piston Brembos? I have heard of them but haven't found them.
Awesome driving BTW!!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by FruiTay
where can I find the 4 piston Brembos? I have heard of them but haven't found them.
Awesome driving BTW!!
Good question, they came with the car when I bought it. I had the bigger calipers up front and the smaller 4 piston in the rear. I was told the reason it was setup that way was the pads and rotors were cheaper but after my last few pads and rotors bill, I can't imagine they are much more expensive than what I'm paying now.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Good question, they came with the car when I bought it. I had the bigger calipers up front and the smaller 4 piston in the rear. I was told the reason it was setup that way was the pads and rotors were cheaper but after my last few pads and rotors bill, I can't imagine they are much more expensive than what I'm paying now.
Do you have 18" wheels up front? The 4 piston mono block calipers that I found from Brembo still require 18" wheels.
Damn I love the way your Z sounds. Does that extractor hood allow more noise from the motor? Oh yeah, no cats probably helps...
You take the Porsches' down 1 by 1!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MX621
ill goin in. my german encounter at njmp 2 years back

http://youtu.be/SCPWELKWemc
Awesome dude, you were keepin' up with a real beast!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Nicely done! I'm sure you passed me at least once or twice over the weekend as well. Would have looked something like this as you caught me.

http://hart-photography.com/photocar...wImage=2246426

I've still got stock engine, suspension and DOT-R tires. Looking to get poly bushings and camber kit to help a bit with the suspension.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Nicely done! I'm sure you passed me at least once or twice over the weekend as well. Would have looked something like this as you caught me.

http://hart-photography.com/photocar...wImage=2246426

I've still got stock engine, suspension and DOT-R tires. Looking to get poly bushings and camber kit to help a bit with the suspension.
Those two things will help tremendously. I pulled the eccentrics out last year and corded my two front Hoosier Rs running the 1.7CW. If you're running Dot R tires, you need the camber kit to lock in those settings. The bushings will be a huge deal too, you will feel so much more of the road and feedback through the steering.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:37 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Do you have 18" wheels up front? The 4 piston mono block calipers that I found from Brembo still require 18" wheels.
Damn I love the way your Z sounds. Does that extractor hood allow more noise from the motor? Oh yeah, no cats probably helps...
You take the Porsches' down 1 by 1!
Yeah, 18s all around and I still have to run a spacer in the front. I just put on a new set of hats and rotors and found that the one set of wheels I had wouldn't clear the bleed nipple on the passenger front. When I had the calipers rebuilt last year, the bleed screw had stripped out so the shop had to drill and mill the caliper a bit and put in a different bleed nipple. Turns out it sticks up just a hair too far and I couldn't get the proper clearance. The spacer I did have that pushed the wheel out far enough wouldn't allow to wheel to engage the hub of the bearing so the wheel didn't have a firm sitting on the hub. So now the shop is having to build me some specific hub centric spacers for the front.

It's always something.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice work. Way to represent.
BTW, My favorite parts were the point-bys.

Get notified of new replies

To Chasing zee Germans

Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Had a good track weekend

Say CG. What do you make of this bit of driving?Pay attention to the use of the brake. You may have to watch it twice.
This guy understands machines and sure can drive.
Do you use your left foot on the brake?

Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shaka
Say CG. What do you make of this bit of driving?Pay attention to the use of the brake. You may have to watch it twice.
This guy understands machines and sure can drive.
Do you use your left foot on the brake?

Ferrari 599XX sets new record on the Nurburgring - YouTube
I will never in this lifetime get close to that level of driving nor will I likely ever push my car to that lever either. That was as flat out as it gets and the guy looked like he was as relaxed as going for a Sunday drive. He does it for a living, I don't. He doesn't have to pay the bills, I do. And yes, I do use left foot braking, just started about 6 months ago and getting a little bit better with each session learning to modulate with the left foot. I hated it at first but the more I do it the more comfortable I am getting and I really like it. It does take a lot more effort to make sure your feet are in the correct spot. I ran off the track a few months ago when I got my feet tangled up in the pedals trying to left foot and right foot at the same time. My feet weren't talking to each other that day and decided to get into a fight over the brake pedal.

Last edited by crease-guard; 09-12-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Nice work. Way to represent.
BTW, My favorite parts were the point-bys.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Chasing zee Germans