Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Lap Time Comparisons NT01 vs. NT05?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:54 AM
calvinlc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Any Lap Time Comparisons NT01 vs. NT05?

OK, so I have run at least 4 sets of NT05's on my '91 Z07 - well over 1k track miles. I really like the tires but I would like to take some time off of my laps with more ultimate grip. However, I have seen some vague claims that were not exactly apples to apples that talk about anywhere from 0.5 to 4 seconds a lap gained on NT01s vs tires like the NT05. I will consider the extra $ for lower times, but not for 0.5 second lower times. I run on High Plains Raceway mostly - a 2.53 mile course that I am currently doing between 2:08 and 2:10 most laps. Any comparisons based on real data would be helpful, eg. lap times or g-force measurements. Also, any treadwear comparisons would be nice. Thanks a bunch!
--Calvin
Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a set of wheels with NT-05s and a second set with NT-01s. The NT-01s wear twice as fast, but do hold the track much better and also take a lot longer to "grease over". The NT-01s helped me take a digital step in terms of lap times because I could trust them to consistently stop and not get greasy during hard braking after a long strait. I mostly run the 3.1 MSR track in Cresson Texas. Best lap time on NT-01s is 2:33. Best time on NT-05 is 2:39. I probably could go faster with the NT-05s, but I don't have as much confidence when I run them so my braking zones are much longer.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by calvinlc
OK, so I have run at least 4 sets of NT05's on my '91 Z07 - well over 1k track miles. I really like the tires but I would like to take some time off of my laps with more ultimate grip. However, I have seen some vague claims that were not exactly apples to apples that talk about anywhere from 0.5 to 4 seconds a lap gained on NT01s vs tires like the NT05. I will consider the extra $ for lower times, but not for 0.5 second lower times. I run on High Plains Raceway mostly - a 2.53 mile course that I am currently doing between 2:08 and 2:10 most laps. Any comparisons based on real data would be helpful, eg. lap times or g-force measurements. Also, any treadwear comparisons would be nice. Thanks a bunch!
--Calvin
I haven't used them but it has to be more than .5 sec on any track.

I think you just need to try them.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used both and the real advantage of the NT01 is that it handles heat very well. If you were only going to drive a few laps the NT05 is certainly slower but not huge. OTOH the NT05 will become very greasy and inconsistent if pushed hard for more than a few laps. The NT01 will slowly start to slide more if it gets too hot ( i.e well over 200 F) but will come back to you quite quickly. I doubt there is much if any grip from the NT05 at 200 F.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I agree with NT01's take a while to get greasy. I like the consistency. They, also, stay more consistent from event to event until the rubber is all gone. They won't win races but are plenty fast for track days.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Lap Time Comparisons NT01 vs. NT05?

Quick Reply: Any Lap Time Comparisons NT01 vs. NT05?