Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st track day in my new C5Z06, SUCCESS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1st track day in my new C5Z06, SUCCESS!!!

Been waiting 2 years to successfully track my own Z!!!
Bought an 01 Z06 for cheap 2 years ago, but it just had too many issues to survive a track day. Sold it 2 months ago.
Bought my current 04 Z06 last month and just got to take it to the track for the first time this weekend. AND IT WAS AWESOME!!

First mods were DRM engine oil cooler and Dewitts radiator after following advise and wisdom from this forum.
Max water temp was 217F, max oil temps were 235F in 20-25 min sessions. Water temps did go up to 225F when sitting still, then went down to about 220F, I guess the fans came on.

Here's a picture at Summit Point. I also bought my favorite wheels of all time --- CCW Classics, wrapped in 285f/305r Nitto 555RII Extreme tires. So much grip I never broke rear traction from throttle application.

Here's a link to a video I took with Harry's Lap Timer App (again, thanks to CHJ in Virginia for the advice). This is my fastest lap from the session I recorded due to no traffic.
For some reason the GPS speeds in the corners seem to lag significantly, and I think the speeds are off too. Anyone else get this issue?

2004 Z06 on Summit Main

The car is stock save for the above mentioned mods, track pads, + some T1 bars. I think I'm going to swap the front T1 bar for a C6 Z51/Z06 bar as I think the front T1 bar is a little much and the car is a little more understeery than I would like.

I'll be installing the K&N panel filter soon along with some catted 1 3/4" longtubes and a tune. I think 390whp should be about right, and will give me a nice sound on the downshifts (braap.....braap....braap).

The only downside to tracking the Z06 was having to deal with the stock seats. There was so much cornering force that I had to preset my body against the door and lean my helmet against the door frame in order to hang on. It was very uncomfortable and was really exhausting. Made it hard to feel the car underneath me. Next mod before tracking again is definitely a sport seat.

Thanks to all for the advice and help. I love CorvetteForums. Hope to see some of you locals on the track soon.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post, and smart mods to start out with.

Summit Point is my home track, so it's great to see another Vette track enthusiast in the area.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

1:21 is getting the lead out! I assume this isn't your first time at the track?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Great post, and smart mods to start out with.

Summit Point is my home track, so it's great to see another Vette track enthusiast in the area.
I appreciate that. Yeah I want the car to be reliable first, and I figure I can add a little more power once I can use what I've already got.
Hopefully I'll see you out there sometime. What events do you attend?
Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
1:21 is getting the lead out! I assume this isn't your first time at the track?
Thanks! Not my first time at the track, just first time in the Z06. I've been instructing for a few years now. I do events with SCCA, NASA, and TrackDaze.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice lap.

I don't have an iPhone, I use trackmaster for droid, but it seems almost every Harrys video I see on here has that problem. I would search...many threads on here about using smartphones for data acquisition.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 PM
blueekb
Advanced

My home track too.

I fixed the front end push of T1 bars by going square setup all around. I used to run 305's at all 4 corners but now I run 275's all around to save some cash.

I usually run with NASA MA and SE or do the occasional FATT up there.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:04 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good read! I bought my C5Z to replace a dedicated track car and made almost the same minimal modifications as you have...even down to the same 285 555R II's square setup and T1 bars. My goal was a reliable track car that was still minimally streetable and would require minimal prep for a track weekend. My time is very limited and I do ALL my own service. For this purpose, the car excels. I run in the red group and can hang mid pack or better with dedicated race cars. With "only" 375 HP at the rear wheels.

As you note, the biggest impediment to running faster is not HP or bigger tires but the stock seat, which just plain sucks! I have a Sparco and Hardbar seat rails ready for install when time permits.

As for understeer, I run a pretty aggressive alignment and have no issue with the car pushing. Before you change the roll stiffness by swapping out the T1 bar, try adding in more front camber or running 1 or 2 psi less tire pressure up front. I was able to balance my car with alignment and tire pressure. The ST1 guys run very fast with T1 bars....

Last edited by ZedO6; 09-17-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:21 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I've always liked the T1 bars and I still run them. Just make sure the front bar isn't binding inside the bushings. I use washers to space out the brackets a bit and lube the bushings periodically. A racing seat will take the car (driver) to a completely new level. Nice driving.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats on your first track day.

Before I got my C5Z on the track my HPDE experience was limited to a FWD car (Cobalt SS) and Miatas so I was expecting to be intimidated a bit, but it wasn't like that at all. I found the C5Z to be extremely predictable and confidence-inspiring. Even with only a couple years of HPDE under my belt at this point, it has been a joy on the track even on street tires and in largely stock form.

Like you, the seats were my #1 complaint. Since new seats weren't in the budget for me this year, I opted to pick up a set of Angel Pads for the interim and couldn't be happier. They didn't make me forget about getting "real" seats, but they did allow me to concentrate much more on my driving and feeling the car and less on that damn speaker grille Might be the best $190 I've spent on the car...

Last edited by Fulton 1; 09-17-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together !! Glad that you had a successful event with no mechanical problems. What version of the iPhone are you using. The newer 5 series models seem to have a little better GPS unit built in. You can always get an external GPS - several high resolution brands are mentioned on Harry's site.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 AM
JRMaroon1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joenationwide
For some reason the GPS speeds in the corners seem to lag significantly, and I think the speeds are off too. Anyone else get this issue?
Nice video, thanks for posting.

Harry's would lag in corners and provide inaccurate data until I started to use this bluetooth connected GPS.

http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

Speeds are more accurate and I no longer miss picking up the start / finish line which happened frequently when using the GPS in the phone.

I mount it with velcro, center of the dashboard at the base of the windshield.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

I appreciate that. Yeah I want the car to be reliable first, and I figure I can add a little more power once I can use what I've already got.

Hopefully I'll see you out there sometime. What events do you attend?
I’m usually at NASA or Trackdaze events, and just started with Chin this year. I’ll be at Summit Main on Nov 2-3 with NASA, and VIR with Trackdaze on Nov 11-12.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Originally Posted by blueekb
My home track too.

I fixed the front end push of T1 bars by going square setup all around. I used to run 305's at all 4 corners but now I run 275's all around to save some cash.

I usually run with NASA MA and SE or do the occasional FATT up there.
That makes sense. Maybe in the future I'll get another pair of rear 18x10.5s and just run some 275s or 285s all around. I don't really need more grip.
Hope to see you around!
Originally Posted by ZedO6
Good read! I bought my C5Z to replace a dedicated track car and made almost the same minimal modifications as you have...even down to the same 285 555R II's square setup and T1 bars. My goal was a reliable track car that was still minimally streetable and would require minimal prep for a track weekend. My time is very limited and I do ALL my own service. For this purpose, the car excels. I run in the red group and can hang mid pack or better with dedicated race cars. With "only" 375 HP at the rear wheels.

As you note, the biggest impediment to running faster is not HP or bigger tires but the stock seat, which just plain sucks! I have a Sparco and Hardbar seat rails ready for install when time permits.

As for understeer, I run a pretty aggressive alignment and have no issue with the car pushing. Before you change the roll stiffness by swapping out the T1 bar, try adding in more front camber or running 1 or 2 psi less tire pressure up front. I was able to balance my car with alignment and tire pressure. The ST1 guys run very fast with T1 bars....
Great minds think alike!
Getting lots of feedback about keeping the T1 bars, so maybe I'll try some test n' tune with both C6 front and T1 front. Im running approx -2.0f -1.3r camber, and approx 0f 0.10r total toe. Probably as aggressive I'll go for a street car.
Originally Posted by redtopz
I've always liked the T1 bars and I still run them. Just make sure the front bar isn't binding inside the bushings. I use washers to space out the brackets a bit and lube the bushings periodically. A racing seat will take the car (driver) to a completely new level. Nice driving.
I'll check for binding. Do you guys run a squared setup or stagger in GT2? Maybe it was just my first impression, but I felt like I'd like the car a bit more neutral at turn in. Maybe that will cost me the ability to put power down on corner exit, but I never had any issues with rear traction. I need to smooth out my transitions during trailbraking, but maybe its me and not the car.
BTW - I read about your dramatic ups and downs at Nationals, sorry it didn't turn out the way it could have. Sounds like you took it in stride which speaks volumes about your character.
Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Congrats on your first track day.

Before I got my C5Z on the track my HPDE experience was limited to a FWD car (Cobalt SS) and Miatas so I was expecting to be intimidated a bit, but it wasn't like that at all. I found the C5Z to be extremely predictable and confidence-inspiring. Even with only a couple years of HPDE under my belt at this point, it has been a joy on the track even on street tires and in largely stock form.

Like you, the seats were my #1 complaint. Since new seats weren't in the budget for me this year, I opted to pick up a set of Angel Pads for the interim and couldn't be happier. They didn't make me forget about getting "real" seats, but they did allow me to concentrate much more on my driving and feeling the car and less on that damn speaker grille Might be the best $190 I've spent on the car...
I hear you! Yeah the Z06 is just like a big powerful Miata (with a little less feedback from the wheel).
I bought some OEM powered seat brackets and I have a Sparco Torino (reclinable sport seat) I am going to swap in, hopefully this should get me a little more control and less squirming.
Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together !! Glad that you had a successful event with no mechanical problems. What version of the iPhone are you using. The newer 5 series models seem to have a little better GPS unit built in. You can always get an external GPS - several high resolution brands are mentioned on Harry's site.
Yeah, thanks for all the help via PMs! So glad I got the DRM oil cooler rather than the combo radiator. Felt so good to not have any issues on track.
I have the iPhone5, iOS 6.1.3. I see JRMarroon1 recommended the Dual brand GPS.

Originally Posted by JRMaroon1
Nice video, thanks for posting.

Harry's would lag in corners and provide inaccurate data until I started to use this bluetooth connected GPS.

http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

Speeds are more accurate and I no longer miss picking up the start / finish line which happened frequently when using the GPS in the phone.

I mount it with velcro, center of the dashboard at the base of the windshield.
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 PM
joenationwide
Racer

I’m usually at NASA or Trackdaze events, and just started with Chin this year. I’ll be at Summit Main on Nov 2-3 with NASA, and VIR with Trackdaze on Nov 11-12.
I'll be at Summit Shenandoah with Trackdaze Oct 5-6, NASA MA VIR Oct 12-13, and Summit Main Nov 2-3. Maybe the Trackdaze VIR in Nov. They run Full and Grand that weekend right? hmmm...
Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

I'll be at Summit Shenandoah with Trackdaze Oct 5-6, NASA MA VIR Oct 12-13, and Summit Main Nov 2-3. Maybe the Trackdaze VIR in Nov. They run Full and Grand that weekend right? hmmm...
Very cool, I’ll be at the Shenandoah event in October supporting my dad who will be in an E30. See ya then, or at the Summit 11/2-11/3 event. Look for the Black C5 coupe, #82.

Yes, in November Trackdaze is running Full on Monday, and Grand on Tuesday. This was a must-have for me this year, as I participated in 2011, but had to skip in 2012. It’s a blast.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,

Congrats on the purchase and first track day. You were def. moving out there. Was hoping I could hang with you a little bit (blue e36 m3)but with all that tq you just walked away from me on the straights never to be seen again, lol. I saw you in the pits later on and tried to talk to you for a minute about the car, but you were busy chatting with someone else so I walked away...

What happened to the m3?

I will be at Shenandoah in Oct. and more than likely the NASA Main event in November... going to try for that TTD track record, lol.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:23 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

My wheels totally work on your car, Scott.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st track day in my new C5Z06, SUCCESS!!!

Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Very cool, I’ll be at the Shenandoah event in October supporting my dad who will be in an E30. See ya then, or at the Summit 11/2-11/3 event. Look for the Black C5 coupe, #82.
Ok, yeah see you there! Not a lot of Vettes at Trackdaze usually, should be easy to spot.
Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
Scott,

Congrats on the purchase and first track day. You were def. moving out there. Was hoping I could hang with you a little bit (blue e36 m3)but with all that tq you just walked away from me on the straights never to be seen again, lol. I saw you in the pits later on and tried to talk to you for a minute about the car, but you were busy chatting with someone else so I walked away...

What happened to the m3?

I will be at Shenandoah in Oct. and more than likely the NASA Main event in November... going to try for that TTD track record, lol.
Oh sorry I missed you. Looks like I'll see you at the next couple events though.

M3 is waiting for me to install my new suspension, and hopefully get a cage this winter to run in GTS2. Thats the goal anyway.
The Z06 will be my track day and nice weather DD, where the M3 will just be for NASA W2W.
I might be a little nuts.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That makes sense. Maybe in the future I'll get another pair of rear 18x10.5s and just run some 275s or 285s all around. I don't really need more grip.
Hope to see you around!

Great minds think alike!
Getting lots of feedback about keeping the T1 bars, so maybe I'll try some test n' tune with both C6 front and T1 front. Im running approx -2.0f -1.3r camber, and approx 0f 0.10r total toe. Probably as aggressive I'll go for a street car.
Thanks!
I run sets of C5Z 10.5 X 18 rears square like so many do. The Speedlines or Alcoa's are really very light and high quality, surely good enough for open track days. They are also easy to come by. I run 555 RII's 285 square and really don't have rear traction issues when the tires are up to temp. Plus...being able to put any wheel/tire on any corner is great to equalize tire wear.

You are running enough camber for 555 II's IMHO, however the upper control arm bushings give up some dynamic camber in hard turns, but it's good enough. Like someone else posted, do make sure that the bar is not binding, without spacing washers, it will bind and work poorly. Of course make sure there is no bar preload at ride height with weight on the car.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:40 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Bluetooth GPS is the way to go with HLT... nice lap!!

I also use an Angelpad in lieu of purchases race seats for my dual-use car. I've been happy so far with the extra stability from the pad.

Lots of brake improvements on my car. I think my next area will be suspension, bushings, end links, etc...

I do about 6 DE events a year and I've gotten quite a bit faster over the past two seasons. I really enjoy it, but have to keep the $$$ under control. So easy to go off the deep end with this "hobby" (passion)...

Be fast and safe guys!

Quick Reply: 1st track day in my new C5Z06, SUCCESS!!!