Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track driver wannabe

Old 09-22-2013, 07:43 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Track driver wannabe

I have now owned my 2000 A4 vert for two years. At only 38k miles, it's in great shape and I don't want to wear it out on the track. Not a garage queen, but not a daily driver either.

But, I do feel the need for speed. And I would prefer the safety (and legality) of a track, instead of taking my chances avoiding traffic and the LEO's.

I've done the NASCAR driving experience, and that's fun, but at about $500 for 8 minutes, my wallets getting more of a work out than I am. I've considered buying a c4 track car (for $5-$10k) but even that gets pricey once truck, trailer, and consumables are added.

So, I have a two part question:

Are there any tracks east of the Mississippi that rent track cars? If so what are the locations and costs?

If I run my own car, and settle for simple triple digit cruising (say 120 mph on a 1.5 mile oval), with no braking, easy accel/decel, etc, what would be the minimum upgrades necessary for the A4, which is bone stock except for blackwing CAI and Corsa exhaust. I would plan to use track tires/wheels, so what else?

I know you gotta pay to play, and I'm a cheap SOB. So flame away if you must, but any serious advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just run the car stock. Skip the track tires & wheels. Keep your fluids clean, and upgrade your brake pads when necessary. My '05 C6 is my daily commuter car, and that's exactly what I do since I'm also cheap and do not have the $ (or space) for a truck/trailer/dedicated track car. I still get plenty of fun out of it. I ballpark an average track day (including gas, tire wear, brake pads, entry fees, regular mainteance, etc.) at somewhere between $500-$1000 a day.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:59 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have instructed in a couple A4 and they do "ok" but do struggle to stay in the power band out of corners ... for an "experience" you will be fine stock with some good street tires / Pads and fluid.. Any heavy track duty the A4 may not be up for the task but others may chime in who have additional experience with longer term track use. I know one guy who traded even for a Manual car at one dealer .... they had more of a market for the auto and he got a square trade.. just a thought.

Last edited by RaleighSS; 09-22-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I think most groups running HPDEs - or any type of high speed events - will require a roll bar in your vert. So that should be your first mod.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh darn missed it was a vert ... yea most clubs do not even allow those and to get a bar good enough to pass tech is tough ...
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Autocross a try. You won't hit high speeds, but you get to throw your car around pretty good. Local entry fees are $35 to $45 and you get in a good number of runs.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Miata.

If the addiction is still there after two years, you can move up in power and speed and dollars.

If the addiction is no longer there, you can sell it for pretty much what you paid for it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by emptnest
I have now owned my 2000 A4 vert for two years. At only 38k miles, it's in great shape and I don't want to wear it out on the track. Not a garage queen, but not a daily driver either.

But, I do feel the need for speed. And I would prefer the safety (and legality) of a track, instead of taking my chances avoiding traffic and the LEO's.

I've done the NASCAR driving experience, and that's fun, but at about $500 for 8 minutes, my wallets getting more of a work out than I am. I've considered buying a c4 track car (for $5-$10k) but even that gets pricey once truck, trailer, and consumables are added.

So, I have a two part question:

Are there any tracks east of the Mississippi that rent track cars? If so what are the locations and costs?

If I run my own car, and settle for simple triple digit cruising (say 120 mph on a 1.5 mile oval), with no braking, easy accel/decel, etc, what would be the minimum upgrades necessary for the A4, which is bone stock except for blackwing CAI and Corsa exhaust. I would plan to use track tires/wheels, so what else?

Not sure where they run any driving schools on ovals. Besides ovals are very boring as are most Rovals.

I know you gotta pay to play, and I'm a cheap SOB. So flame away if you must, but any serious advice will be greatly appreciated.
You don't say where you live East of the Mississippi so it is hard to tell you what tracks are available and which groups run driving schools at those tracks. Most tracks rent the facilities to groups like PCA, BMW Club, NASA, Hooded on Driving and you sign up with the group not the track. If you are in NY State or going to run at a place in NY like the Glen there is a shop in the Rochester area that rents track prepped econo boxes for about $600/day.

Once you get a roll bar in the car then as a novice you can pretty much get by just using stock everything on your car and a fresh refill of all fluids. The auto isn't a lot of fun on the track but it can be used.

When you have the rollbar installed make sure it fits nicely under the vert top so you can run with the top up. You will encounter cold and wet weather and it is very nice to have the top up to keep the weather from getting to you. HPDEs run rain or shine and it can get downright miserable very fast when you have weather like we yesterday at the Glen.
Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-22-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the Miata comment. Rent a few times and see if you like it. then pick up a car you can use dedicated on the track instead of ruining your vert. doesnt have to be a vette, get a miata or an early BMW 3 series. cheap to run and can be fast with a good driver.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You don't list your location so it is hard to tell what might be available to rent in your area. Here in Virginia, there are several operations that will "rent" a racecar for HPDE usage on a weekend at VIR or Summit Point. Almost anything you could want, Miata, E30 BMW, spec Renault, etc. are available on an arrive and drive basis. Budget between $12-1800 for the weekend depending on car and track.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the helpful feedback.

I'm in northern WV, so anything in PA, WV, OH, VA, MD will be convenient. And if the deal is right, I don't mind going further. Shucks, I drove to Charlotte for the NASCAR experience.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Bill - sorry for my ignorance, but what is a ROVAL?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Default Follow up question

I see in some postings discussion of using the Caravggio removable hardtop in order to pass tech inspection for a vert.

Does that work to get you on the track?

Even so, my perception is that it would offer false security, and not really provide any meaningful protection in the case of a rollover. Yes? No?

Comments please.....
Old 09-25-2013, 01:11 PM
0Johnny@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
You don't list your location so it is hard to tell what might be available to rent in your area. Here in Virginia, there are several operations that will "rent" a racecar for HPDE usage on a weekend at VIR or Summit Point. Almost anything you could want, Miata, E30 BMW, spec Renault, etc. are available on an arrive and drive basis. Budget between $12-1800 for the weekend depending on car and track.
you can stuff allot of money into a miata. the absolute best bang for your buck is a C5.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

I see in some postings discussion of using the Caravggio removable hardtop in order to pass tech inspection for a vert.

Does that work to get you on the track?

Even so, my perception is that it would offer false security, and not really provide any meaningful protection in the case of a rollover. Yes? No?

Comments please.....
Any thoughts on the removable hardtop?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:25 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Summit Point Raceway, Shenandoah circuit - most clubs do not require a roll bar due to the lower speeds (top speed is ~120). Not far from you. Its a hoot of a track.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Any thoughts on the removable hardtop?
An aftermarket hardtop will not pass SCCA tech. NASA usually has similar tech requirements. I don't know about other events, some have very lax safety requirements.

Personally, I won't instruct in a convertible without a roll bar or factory hardtop.

11.1. PDX (LEVEL 1)
At PDX (Level 1) events, any car that is street legal will NOT require a roll bar/roll cage, except for Convertibles and Targa* top
automobiles. These cars must have either a roll bar meeting the requirements of section 11 of the TTR, a non-mechanical factory roll
bar/roll over protection (i.e. no pop-ups), or a factory hard top using the factory mounting hardware and mounting points. Owners of
cars equipped with factory roll bars/roll over protection must present documentation stating that the device is a roll bar or roll over
protection at the time of vehicle tech inspection (a factory issued Owner’s or Shop Manual will fulfill this requirement.) Targa* top (and
T-top) automobiles may forgo the roll bar requirement under the condition that the Targa bar meets the height requirements set forth in
11.1.1.B. For the purposes of this determination only, street legal will be defined as a car which meets local requirements for inspection
(if applicable) and the car in question must possess CURRENT, VALID registration. If this street legal requirement is not met, then the
roll bar requirement as stated in this section shall apply.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:42 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I am not sure what you are really after - sensation of speed in a straight or the handling of the vehicle in twisties. HPDE's are not the experience of extreme speeds on an oval. HPDE's will teach you car control at the limit of acceleration, braking and turning. You will learn the best, quickest way around a turn, how to shift properly, how to load and unload the suspension with proper throttle/brake control and learn to feel the car at the extremes. You really don't need your vette at the track for a very satisfying and successful track day experience. I instructed a driver in a BMW X6 three weeks ago (we could only give point byes to the left since no one could see over the top of the vehicle). Just bring any passenger vehicle with good brakes, tires and fresh brake fluid to the track. You will have a good time. Don't fret the ultimate track vehicle until you have a few track days under your belt.

Get notified of new replies

To Track driver wannabe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track driver wannabe