Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 chasing a 458 Challenge Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 chasing a 458 Challenge Car

At Sears Point yesterday with CFRA, traffic was really brutal all day in the unlimited passing group, but I had fun trying to stay with this Ferrari Challenge car. I had some help from traffic for sure, and I was happy to be able to stay in contact with him for a few laps, since he has 570 hp, weighs 2700 lbs, and is on race slicks. My car is stock except for StopTechs and RA-1s.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

YouTube says "This video does not exist."
Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job! Get you some true slicks, Dunlops is my recommendation, and kick some prancing horse ***.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:16 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! You're living a dream, man. Did you speak with the guy driving the 458? Was he impressed with your car?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice driving! Looks like that was a great session.
I just visited that track for the first time two weeks ago, can't wait to drive it one day.
Were you in the stock seat? Man, that is exhausting, isn't it?

With a good driver in a Z06, most other cars look like they are on parade laps, its almost unfair!
I see you ended the video just before you gobbled up the C5Z06, very considerate to us C5Z06 drivers.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:15 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

So cool.. glad you had fun!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by FruiTay
WOW! You're living a dream, man. Did you speak with the guy driving the 458? Was he impressed with your car?
:-) Yeah it was a fun session. Never did get a chance to talk to the Ferrari driver.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks like you had a lot of fun!!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I was there hanging out with my friend, who was racing lotus cup. I remember watching that Ferrari going into t-11. He seemed to really enjoy downshifting. Sounded cool, but I don't think it was particularly fast. Considering the potential of that car you did a good job keeping close.
I spoke briefly to another gentleman there with a yellow c5, but I'm pretty sure it was not you. There was a silver corvette in the garage that looked like it had lots of race level modifications, but the person who looked like the owner didn't appear to interested in having any sort of conversation (there was oil all over his motor so that may have been why) and I didn't bother trying since earlier in the day I tried to speak with another participant who might as well have told me to go away. Anyway, looked like a decent event. Too bad my car is in pieces (still) so no chance for me to participate.

Last edited by trackboss; 09-24-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:07 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great driving. That 458 is fast!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Good lines through there. And great keeping up with a car on slicks while on RA-1s which have to be 2-3 sec/lap slower than Hoosiers at SP. I still can't call it Infineon.

What were you running? About 1:50s? I suppose I could time the video but just didn't do it.

I love that track. The first half is technically very interesting and the back half is run like a ballet with the smooth left, right, left, downhill right and long looping left followed by the scary 10th. Lots of opportunity to do a really ugly off there when the Red Mist sets in.

Thanks, I enjoyed the videos.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Corner exit on the 458 is jaw dropping.

Nice driving, your are very smooth.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by joenationwide
Were you in the stock seat? Man, that is exhausting, isn't it?
You are right about the stock seat so I installed a Sparco race seat.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by trackboss
I was there hanging out with my friend, who was racing lotus cup. I remember watching that Ferrari going into t-11. He seemed to really enjoy downshifting. Sounded cool, but I don't think it was particularly fast. Considering the potential of that car you did a good job keeping close.
I spoke briefly to another gentleman there with a yellow c5, but I'm pretty sure it was not you. There was a silver corvette in the garage that looked like it had lots of race level modifications, but the person who looked like the owner didn't appear to interested in having any sort of conversation (there was oil all over his motor so that may have been why) and I didn't bother trying since earlier in the day I tried to speak with another participant who might as well have told me to go away. Anyway, looked like a decent event. Too bad my car is in pieces (still) so no chance for me to participate.
Really sorry to hear you ran into some rude people there, that is simply indefensible. I would have loved talking with you, I was parked in the garage with a friend with a blue C6 Z06. I do know the guy with the silver race-prepped Vette and he is ordinarily a very nice gentleman but he was extremely frustrated since his day was ruined with a blown oil line.

I used to track an Elise, so I know a lot of those guys, really fun cars on the track. In fact the Z06 is my first American car in 30 years I bet, I previously tracked Porsches, BMWs, Lotus, and even a couple of Ferraris. Bang for the buck, nothing touches the Z06.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by pkincy
Good lines through there. And great keeping up with a car on slicks while on RA-1s which have to be 2-3 sec/lap slower than Hoosiers at SP. I still can't call it Infineon.

What were you running? About 1:50s? I suppose I could time the video but just didn't do it.

I love that track. The first half is technically very interesting and the back half is run like a ballet with the smooth left, right, left, downhill right and long looping left followed by the scary 10th. Lots of opportunity to do a really ugly off there when the Red Mist sets in.

Thanks, I enjoyed the videos.
Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, my best lap at Sears is a high 1:49, in the hands of a Randy Pobst or similar I'm sure the car is capable of a 1:46 or 1:47. By the way, you'll be happy to know it's not Infineon any more, that sponsor pulled out and I think they officially call it Sonoma Raceway now. But everyone I know calls it Sears Point. My favorite track ever, I really enjoy driving it.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Yea, Sears is my favorite track to race at even though I destroyed an open wheel car there. I like running Sears even more than Laguna.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 chasing a 458 Challenge Car

Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill32
Yea, Sears is my favorite track to race at even though I destroyed an open wheel car there. I like running Sears even more than Laguna.
I first raced at Sears in the early 70's in SCCA Formula Ford. Always been very challenging and therefore very rewarding.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
I first raced at Sears in the early 70's in SCCA Formula Ford. Always been very challenging and therefore very rewarding.
That's great Gary, I didn't get started there until the late 90's but have a boatload of laps there including a race on the 1.8 mile course when they were rebuilding the paddock.

The Ford I was upside down in (3B), destroyed, rebuilt and raced again:

Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM
flyloeZ06
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great driving and great camera placement. Really enjoyed watching the whole event. If you don't mind, what camera where you using and how was it mounted? Getting ready to go to the track next month and trying to figure out a solid way to mount my GoPro and not be too far back in the car. I have it mounted to my harness bar, but it needs to come way forward.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 chasing a 458 Challenge Car