Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone tire mounting(Luke?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Blackjetvette97
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firestone tire mounting(Luke?)

Hi all,
I have been doing some comparison shopping today and called my local Firestone to inquire about the Firehawks. I also inquired on TRs website about buying them to compare price. I noticed in the TR authorized installer area that my local FS dealer would NOT mount Non-RF's on a car with RF's currently(or spec'd as oem). I inquired about this and was told that it was correct, they will not do it. I asked why and was told that it is a safety issue cuz a nonRF isn't as safe, in regards to stopping, handling, etc. I called the Corp office to get a clear concise answer and opened a "case" to have regional mngr call me. Does anyone know what the deal is with this or is it a "ploy" to get people to drop the coin for RFs??? Oh, I was also told by FS rep that if I got in an accident and the insurance people saw I had nonRFs on a car that was spec'd for RFs that they would try to pin the blame on the installer of the tires. I find all this very hard to believe.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:55 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Corporate policy/potential legal issues (or perhaps more correctly, legal red herrings) aside, their is nothing inherently unsafe about driving on non-RFs with the vette (see, e.g., the C5 Z06....) RFs came about so the mfr could lose the spare tire. There are valid reasons for having RFs or not; you need to decide what factors are most important to you. As an aside, I like the idea of having TPMS regardless of the type of tire, and in fact activated this feature on my Z06.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:20 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My local Firestone mounted non runflats. They also damaged all four of my wheels to the point they all need repainted. They said they would pay for the repainting, but I was sure pissed when it happened. I even asked beforehand if they could handle doing without messing them up.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Many shops, actually, most shops do not have a problem with putting standard tires on a car that was originally fitted with runflats. I have heard of a couple of shops that take a hardline approach with following the OE fitments. PM me the exact shop info and I will look into it for you

Get notified of new replies

To Firestone tire mounting(Luke?)

Quick Reply: Firestone tire mounting(Luke?)