Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing for a Cause

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Racing for a Cause

http://www.gotransam.com/latest-news...r-a-cause.html

In 2011 Kurt Roehrig was ready to race—he and his team had successfully built and prepped a TA2 Chevrolet Camaro, complete with Schwanke LS3 engine, with the intention of competing in the 2012 Trans Am Series.

And he did just that. Roehrig finished third overall in the 2012 TA2 drivers’ point championship and competed in all ten races of the 2012 Season—including his victory at Road Atlanta during round nine of that season.

During the 2013 Season, Roehrig has competed in all eight races to date, and currently stands fourth in the point standings with the 2013 Trans Am Series finale at Daytona International Raceway upcoming.

Here is the twist: Roehrig was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in November of 2011, right after the completion of his TA2 racecar. Roehrig, undeterred, was prescribed Mirapex, and later Mirapex ER, by his neurologist and embarked on a training program consisting of mountain and road biking, as well as Pilates, in a successful attempt to remain race-ready, despite his prognosis.

The result has been two stellar years of road racing as a member of the Trans Am Series, undeterred by Parkinson’s and its symptoms.

“I feel it is time for me to announce to the public that I have Parkinson’s disease,” Roehrig said. “I want to show that the early stages of Parkinson’s are not a death sentence, or even much of a handicap if you exercise and take the right medication for the symptoms.”

Not only is Roehrig going public with his diagnosis, he wants to use his success behind the wheel of a racecar to help others also diagnosed with the disease.

“I want to use my unique position of having an incurable, degenerative neurological disease while being an active and competitive racecar driver to help others.”

Included within Roehrig’s efforts is a fresh livery for the #04 PD for Life Chevrolet Camaro and the stated goals of increasing public awareness about Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and Hodgkin’s disease, to raise funds for research using a walkathon-based format for races in which drivers can collect pledges for donations per lap completed and the addition of Pancakes for Parkinson’s events at all Trans Am Races. One hundred percent of all donations would go directly to the Michael J. Fox Foundation.

Roehrig’s efforts will begin at the 2013 Trans Am Season finale at Daytona International Speedway with the first race-a-thon and Pancakes for Parkinson’s breakfast catered on Sunday morning. Once again, all proceeds go directly to the Michael J. Fox Foundation. Those interested in pledging to the race-a-thon or who would like to become involved should contact Roehrig directly at parkinsons@roehrigengineering.com.

“I want people to realize all you can do while in the early stages of Parkinson’s,” Roehrig said. “This is a disease that people live with on a daily basis, and as a driver I’m perfectly capable of handling myself out on the course and being competitive—it is proof that a Parkinson’s diagnosis isn’t the end.”

Quick Reply: Racing for a Cause