Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guidance on Aero mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guidance on Aero mods

I'm planning ahead for aero mods for my 2012 grand sport and am curious if anyone has a strong preference or feedback for the choices I've narrowed this down to which are LG or ACP:

Wing - LG GT2 or ACP World Challenge (Mounted to frame and not hood based on previous threads I have read)

Splitter - leaning heavily towards LG GT2

Hood - LG World Challenge or ACP World Challenge

Some of these look so similar I can't really tell them apart. Aero is obviously a serious investment so I want to get this right the first time. I'm told I'm looking at or close to 10k installed so I damn sure don't want buyer's remorse!

Last edited by MarkDFW; 11-07-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Mark, I have also done a fair amount of research to who and what i want to use for Aero parts... I don't know how you fab skills are but I found a good company that makes GT2 style wings cheap.... but you need to build your own mounts up to the foil.

http://www.ajhartmanracing.com/ajhr-wings-no-uprights/

I wanted the LG splitter but its to expensive.... I decided to buy a black dog front clip with under tray ...

As far as the hood I have heard they both fit well but I would also check Black Dog Speed shop on pricing. But LG is local for you which is nice!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
Mark, I have also done a fair amount of research to who and what i want to use for Aero parts... I don't know how you fab skills are but I found a good company that makes GT2 style wings cheap.... but you need to build your own mounts up to the foil.

http://www.ajhartmanracing.com/ajhr-wings-no-uprights/

I wanted the LG splitter but its to expensive.... I decided to buy a black dog front clip with under tray ...

As far as the hood I have heard they both fit well but I would also check Black Dog Speed shop on pricing. But LG is local for you which is nice!!!
My fab skills are zero, so I'll be having someone else do the install. I'd just assume pay someone who knows how to do it right.

Of all the pieces that LG splitter price is the one that kills me. The hood hurts a little bit too, as I'm not so concerned with weight reduction right now since I'm right at the weight I need for NASA TT2. I'm half tempted to just chop up my hood up and have them vent it. I will continue with HPDE and Time Trials for another year or two and then probably cage it and go wheel to wheel.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

some more options:

halltech makes a nice carbon vented hood:
http://www.halltechsystems.com/Hallt...Hood-p/gt2.htm

Blackdog world challenge style carbon hood:
http://www.blackdogspeedshop.com/pro...h-inner-frame/

Blackdog carbon front bumper with extended fascia for racing:
http://www.blackdogspeedshop.com/pro...per-race-only/

Glover design does c6r style fender vents:
http://www.gloverdesign.com/

Katech makes a carbon splitter with undertray, side skirts, bigger rear spoiler and a few vented hoods:
http://store.katechengines.com/z06zr...sport-c63.aspx

some companies do various rear diffusers for the c6, but the most effective one you could do is have a custom one fabbed for your application.

also you could have the subframes and central tunnel under the car closed off to reduce help drag and lift

Last edited by el es tu; 11-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:25 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by el es tu

Katech makes a carbon splitter with undertray, side skirts, bigger rear spoiler and a few vented hoods:

This one looks interesting. I might even consider the fiberglass one if it was durable enough.

Curious if anyone has actually USED that setup, or gone this route:

http://www.aprperformance.com/index....=250&Itemid=49

Of all the aero pieces, the splitter seems the most likely to be damaged when we do a little landscaping at the track. I'd be really upset if I damaged a splitter I spent 2 or 3 grand on. If it was a grand or less I could probably live with myself better.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
This one looks interesting. I might even consider the fiberglass one if it was durable enough.

Curious if anyone has actually USED that setup, or gone this route:

http://www.aprperformance.com/index....=250&Itemid=49

Of all the aero pieces, the splitter seems the most likely to be damaged when we do a little landscaping at the track. I'd be really upset if I damaged a splitter I spent 2 or 3 grand on. If it was a grand or less I could probably live with myself better.
here's the windtunnel data for the katech aero parts:

http://www.katechengines.com/street_...a%20report.pdf

the universal apr one would work, but youd need to keep the factory front splitter and just add that to it. also youd need the supports:
http://aprperformance.com/index.php?...d=83&Itemid=44

the only two downsides in comparison to the $3000 lg gt2 front splitter would be that you or the installer would have to come up with a mounting solution and you dont get the side tunnels that add more downforce...

Last edited by el es tu; 11-07-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM
0Johnny@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look into the MTI wing. same one that won the "fastest corvette" and "fastest lsx powered vehicle" at the ultimate track car challenge.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Johnny@MTI

look into the MTI wing. same one that won the "fastest corvette" and "fastest lsx powered vehicle" at the ultimate track car challenge.
link? I see a spoiler on your site but not a wing
Old 11-07-2013, 05:50 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Mark I considered the APR route when I was on a budget but I came into some money so I went another route and you need fab sills or it gets expensive.. I forgot about the MTI one..

http://www.mtiracing.com/mti-racing-...or-c6-z06.html
Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
Mark I considered the APR route when I was on a budget but I came into some money so I went another route and you need fab sills or it gets expensive.. I forgot about the MTI one..

http://www.mtiracing.com/mti-racing-...or-c6-z06.html
I will add that to the mix.

Is anyone on here using the APR splitter that can offer feedback on how well it has worked? Durability? If it is reasonably close to LG splitter performance I would certainly consider it.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

See the link for my project.

I used the Katech data posted earlier to decide on what to buy.

Car really stable at +140mph

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...r-install.html
Old 11-09-2013, 08:07 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Great link. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

The best splitters are fabricated from a material called Tegris. It's what the NASCAR splitters are made from. Instead of breaking into sharp pieces like carbon fiber, Tegris wears as it contacts the track or curbing. If you are going to invest thousands into an expendable piece (which all race splitters ARE) look into Tegris. I personally use it as a wear surface, bolted under a thin sheet of aluminum which forms my under tray (which in reality is more like a skid plate). I will try to find the company who fabricates and sells Tegris. Powerstreamindustries.com is the link.

Last edited by Hi Volts Z06; 11-10-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:15 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
some more options:

Mark -I can vouch for the Katech setup. Went the FG route to save cash and it has worked out well especially the splitter w/ undertray. Now brakes get their cooling from the front of the car not the bottom - a big help with lift/high speed stability. I made the mistake of getting the splitter and side skirts w/o getting the spoiler. Resulting oversteer was intolerable. AH in Comp Mode would kick in hard turning in @ the Downhill @ Lime Rock. It sounded like someone hit the right side with a sledge hammer. Once the spoiler was installed, car felt significantly more planted. Dropped lap time by 1.5 - 2.0 sec. Admittedly I had little experience @ the time so I had plenty of room for improvement but 2 sec is huge on such a short track.
Their splitter is modeled after the ZR1 one IIRC so it fits well with the look of the front end. I was concerned the spoiler might be too big and ruin what is a stealthy/slightly more aggressive than OEM look. It didn't. It's perfect to my eye. Larger than the optional spoiler for sure but not overly so. A good combo of more aggressive without being over the top.
The Katech testing and data is what sold me. The aero is balanced which is an absolute must. No mixing and matching and hoping they work.
The other nice upside of the Katech pieces is that the gel coat looks good enough that it doesn't need to be painted. Mine isn't and the car looks great.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:40 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I did some work on a C5 with an apr front splitter and can tell you it is worthless in terms of performance and the way it is mounted. With the exception of someone who is going for a certain look it is not something I would ever suggest.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 AM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I too was shocked at the cost of a good splitter. I really like the LG one but at $3k for something that will end up getting broke I can't stomach. I'm going the ghetto fabulous route initially and making my own splitter out of plywood. Once I get it all finished and fitted I'll look to recreate it in Tegris, alumalite or maybe a CF one if I can find someone that would make a custom one cheap enough. I figured until I get it finished and shaped plywood is the cheapest route. I'll probably even run the plywood one for a couple HPDEs to see how it does, see if I need to shorten it etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Mark,

Talk to Mike Weathers, or Jim Shepard. Both of which are running them on their cars now and Mike took a few championships last year and this year running our components on the cars. You can get some good feedback from Jim as well, as he removed all of the Katech parts to gain more downforce on the car. 'Werks' here on the board has our splitter on his car now as well that Katech installed for him.

For the splitter...

As most of you know we have ran and do run full blown race Corvette's over the years and know exactly what is involved in doing a World Challenge nose and undertray. In some cases the parts themselves can be less expensive than our splitter but you have to think about the time involved in mounting it to the car if you are going to do it yourself or the cost of a shop doing the work. The race car parts are not bolt on pieces that you simply do in an hour in your garage. The GT2 splitter is the only one that will bolt onto a stock nose and frame work of a Corvette without a lot of fab work. Most could do this at home with hand tools in a day or so if they wanted to. It works out cheaper in the end. We do sell an install kit for the splitter as well for $400.

There are many ways to get to where you are going, and we have done a few of them....I have a lot of pride in these because of how close it is to the full race parts without spending a week building a race car nose box.

If you have any questions for me....hit me up. I'm here most of the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Guidance on Aero mods

Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

I'll see if I can't find his screen name on here but Joe runs twin Z06's one without the full aero and one with....and has comparison times for both cars...

I believe he is converting the yellow car to full aero now this winter.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Mark,

Talk to Mike Weathers, or Jim Shepard. Both of which are running them on their cars now and Mike took a few championships last year and this year running our components on the cars. You can get some good feedback from Jim as well, as he removed all of the Katech parts to gain more downforce on the car. 'Werks' here on the board has our splitter on his car now as well that Katech installed for him.

For the splitter...

As most of you know we have ran and do run full blown race Corvette's over the years and know exactly what is involved in doing a World Challenge nose and undertray. In some cases the parts themselves can be less expensive than our splitter but you have to think about the time involved in mounting it to the car if you are going to do it yourself or the cost of a shop doing the work. The race car parts are not bolt on pieces that you simply do in an hour in your garage. The GT2 splitter is the only one that will bolt onto a stock nose and frame work of a Corvette without a lot of fab work. Most could do this at home with hand tools in a day or so if they wanted to. It works out cheaper in the end. We do sell an install kit for the splitter as well for $400.

There are many ways to get to where you are going, and we have done a few of them....I have a lot of pride in these because of how close it is to the full race parts without spending a week building a race car nose box.

If you have any questions for me....hit me up. I'm here most of the time.

Thanks Anthony! I ran 1:57.5 at ECR in NASA TT2 class the other weekend and I have no aero and ran BFG R1 scrubs. Most people had aero and a Hoosier A6. I'm told I am leaving around 3.5 seconds on the table at ECR between those two mods. If that's true, I'd be very happy at 1:54 as that would be a TT2 track record.

Mike had a few car issues so he didn't get to run much, but he is usually the TT1 benchmark. I'll be sure to talk with him more. He is quite happy with the work you guys have done. He won NASA TT1 Texas this year by a landslide.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Thanks Anthony! I ran 1:57.5 at ECR in NASA TT2 class the other weekend and I have no aero and ran BFG R1 scrubs. Most people had aero and a Hoosier A6. I'm told I am leaving around 3.5 seconds on the table at ECR between those two mods. If that's true, I'd be very happy at 1:54 as that would be a TT2 track record.

Mike had a few car issues so he didn't get to run much, but he is usually the TT1 benchmark. I'll be sure to talk with him more. He is quite happy with the work you guys have done. He won NASA TT1 Texas this year by a landslide.
Yeah he had a couple burn plug wires so the car was only firing on 6 that day and still managed a 1.53 out there.....they went back out last weekend and managed 2-3 seconds faster with Bobby in the car and fresh wires on it.

Really proud of Mike and all that he has done with the car. I believe he won the NARRA south championship too.

Quick Reply: Guidance on Aero mods