Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 ... my personal review

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 ... my personal review

It is early fall and needed to changed out of my summer performance tires into something more compatible with the cooler autumn temps. The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 promised great handling and ride quality with all-season capability. Driving a sports car on summer performance tires can really spoil you when it comes to handling expectations and I can happily report that these tires do live up to the hype. The turn in and responsiveness is incredible considering that it's an all season tire. The wet traction is remarkable. They were very well composed with zero hydroplaning issues at highway speeds in a couple of very hard rain storms. I did drive them on a very icy morning and while, not nearly as capable as a winter tire, I found them to be very stable and predictable when dealing with the slippery over passes. Treadwear is still an unknown but, so far I am impressed. Well done Michelin, you have a winner with the new Pilot Sport AS3 and I would highly recommend them. I can't wait to see how they do in the snow. #PSAS3

Now these are all-season tires and I have no misconceptions about these PSAS3's vs. a true winter tires but, I am going to give these a run in the first couple of snows unless they are predicting several inches of the fluffy stuff or more. I already have a set of winter tires on another set of wheels in my garage ready to go.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:31 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
It is early fall and needed to changed out of my summer performance tires into something more compatible with the cooler autumn temps. The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 promised great handling and ride quality with all-season capability. Driving a sports car on summer performance tires can really spoil you when it comes to handling expectations and I can happily report that these tires do live up to the hype. The turn in and responsiveness is incredible considering that it's an all season tire. The wet traction is remarkable. They were very well composed with zero hydroplaning issues at highway speeds in a couple of very hard rain storms. I did drive them on a very icy morning and while, not nearly as capable as a winter tire, I found them to be very stable and predictable when dealing with the slippery over passes. Treadwear is still an unknown but, so far I am impressed. Well done Michelin, you have a winner with the new Pilot Sport AS3 and I would highly recommend them. I can't wait to see how they do in the snow. #PSAS3

Now these are all-season tires and I have no misconceptions about these PSAS3's vs. a true winter tires but, I am going to give these a run in the first couple of snows unless they are predicting several inches of the fluffy stuff or more. I already have a set of winter tires on another set of wheels in my garage ready to go.
As someone who wishes, very badly, for some tire mfr to make A/S tires in my '13 Grand Sport sizes, I have considered doing the following:

Michelin Pilot Super Sports - rear
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s - front

Thoughts? Maybe for wintertime only then switch fronts back to PSS?

(I have stock GYs now...hate them)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:04 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

that is a HORRIBLY idea !!!!

The car would exhibit excessive oversteer and it will only gets worse the colder it gets
Old 11-27-2013, 11:43 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

After several weeks and miles on these PSAS3's I now have a better feel for them especially considering a couple of recent snow events we have had in our area. In the dry these tires continue to impress me with their almost, performance tire, feel and grip even in cooler temps. The wet grip is equally impressive with very little hydroplaning or loss of traction. The steering response and communicative nature really allow you to push them a little harder than any other all-season tires I have driven as witnessed by a fine gentleman with flashing lights on top of his car. We discussed their grip and ability at length on the side of the road. Thankfully, I did not leave that meeting with any papers explaining what he thought about my exploring their ability and limits.

The snow and ice traction is pretty much what I thought it would be. While, they were able to plod through the snow, the level of snow and ice grip was only, what I would consider, somewhat acceptable. I was able to get moving as their forward bite was adequate but, I found myself sliding sideways and counter steering at anything close to moderate throttle applications. Braking in the snow was better than I expected as was lateral grip.

I really enjoy driving these Pilot Sport AS3's in most conditions but, if you live in an area that sees real winter conditions with moderate to significant snowfall and icy conditions you can get through with these but, they will not deliver true confidence inspiring winter traction and performance. I would say that they are, all in all, a very good all-season tire and the less winter weather you see the better you will like them.

Simply put, in the snow and ice they are acceptable, not exceptional but, the dry and wet performance delivered is pretty impressive #PSAS3
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 AM
CLLOFF
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Luke, please tell the folks at Michelin there are a lot of GS owners who would love to drive their Vettes in colder northern winter temps. What's so hard about making the AS/3 in GS sizes?

Chevy picked Michelin to be the new supplier to new Corvette. How about us older gen folks?
Old 12-02-2013, 03:40 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I would not be surprised to see them in additional sizes in the spring
Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the update on these tires. I plan on putting a set of these on after the holidays. I'm in TN so for winter they just need to get me home in case I'm stuck at the office and an inch of snow falls.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default AS3's

I would not be surprised to see them in additional sizes in the spring
I live in Greer,SC. We have 2 Michelin plants in our area as well as 3 corporate offices for them. My wife has many patients that work there. I've spoken with quite a few of them about the AS3's coming in GS/Z06 sizes and everyone of them have all said with out any doubt that they will not be adding those sizes to their line up. They just don't feel there is a large enough market to support the sales. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If I have been told incorrectly I will not have ever been happier about being wrong.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default Mixing tires

that is a HORRIBLY idea !!!!

The car would exhibit excessive oversteer and it will only gets worse the colder it gets
I was told the same thing about driving my GS with my Nitto drag radials on the rear on the street. I decided to try it any way very carefully just to see how it drove. I also had my wife drive it without telling her that I had left the DR's on the back. Neither of us could tell any difference what so ever. The Nitto's, at mid 30psi pressures, rode and drove just as well as the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Maybe we didn't push it hard enough to tell a difference, but in normal every day driving it did not seem to matter. Just my .02. I pretty much just keep the DR's on all the time as I race once a week and it isn't worth the trouble to keep swapping them all the time.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:46 PM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I put the Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my new C7 here in Minnesota. I only drive it when the roads are plowed and clear of snow and ice down to the pavement. They have been fantastic tires. Even in sub-zero temps, they have plenty of grip to still let me enjoy the performance aspects of driving a performance car in cold temperatures.

The other day it was a bit "warmer" in the low 40's here, and I was able to do some true "spirited" driving on them. Met all my expectations. When it gets warm enough in the spring, I plan to put the OE Pilot Super Sports back on. Then I will be able to offer a better comparison as to what the performance difference is compared to the summer tires, but so far, no disappointment whatsoever.

As mentioned, I would not recommend these for use in fresh or even packed snow. I have driven them occasionally in up to a couple inches of snow in unplowed driveways, side streets, or parking lots at low speeds, and did not get stuck. However, they don't have the tread pattern to perform as well as an actual snow tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 ... my personal review

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 ... my personal review