Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distilled water vs. purified water?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Distilled water vs. purified water?

I'm not sure why this stuff pops into my head, but it does.

Is distilled water really "distilled" or is that a marketing/legal term like some synthetic oils not really being from base 5 stock, but legally can be called synthetic.

My fridge has a PUR filter on it, is that as good as "distilled"?

Please don't post how "cheap" distilled is so "just buy it".

This thread is not about the cost (you are missing the point) it's about the chemistry for what goes in your battery and coolant.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Distilled usually is distilled, since a basic 1-stage distillation of water is a pretty cheap process which basically entails that the impurities are either boiled off earlier or left behind. The condensate is usually quite pure, but some compounds have a tendency to stick with the water as it is boiled off. There are more sophisticated and expensive distillation techniques to remove these types of impurities, but it's not likely that the jug of distilled water you buy at the store uses them.

Your PUR water filter is usually just a carbon filter. The water passes through and the carbon can pick up a lot of the minerals and organics. This approach can also lead to quite pure water, but it depends on the filter and how much of it has been used up. Not sure about PUR in particular.

Not definitive if one is better than the other. It depends on what you need. Of course, if you really needed the highest grade stuff with 18.2 megaohm*cm resistivity, you can take the approach that we use in research labs, which usually employ a multi-stage process. First step is to distill the water or run it through reverse-osmosis (or both), followed by UV lamp treatments, and then multiple stages of carbon filters for final purification. Upfront costs on these systems are usually 5-20k, plus 2-5k/yr in maintenance costs.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Distilled usually is distilled, since a basic 1-stage distillation of water is a pretty cheap process which basically entails that the impurities are either boiled off earlier or left behind. The condensate is usually quite pure, but some compounds have a tendency to stick with the water as it is boiled off. There are more sophisticated and expensive distillation techniques to remove these types of impurities, but it's not likely that the jug of distilled water you buy at the store uses them.

Your PUR water filter is usually just a carbon filter. The water passes through and the carbon can pick up a lot of the minerals and organics. This approach can also lead to quite pure water, but it depends on the filter and how much of it has been used up. Not sure about PUR in particular.

Not definitive if one is better than the other. It depends on what you need. Of course, if you really needed the highest grade stuff with 18.2 megaohm*cm resistivity, you can take the approach that we use in research labs, which usually employ a multi-stage process. First step is to distill the water or run it through reverse-osmosis (or both), followed by UV lamp treatments, and then multiple stages of carbon filters for final purification. Upfront costs on these systems are usually 5-20k, plus 2-5k/yr in maintenance costs.
Thanks for 100% on point response.

My use is simple automotive, so I guess I buy supermarket distilled & in a pinch use the fridge water.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:20 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dissolved Solids are not removed by filtering (think "salts") by Suspended Solids are (think dirt and some biological organisms). Distillation, depending on sophistication, removes them all. Reverse Osmosis does a fair to excellent job also (depends on system). Truly "lab quality water" does all plus a mixed ion resin to deionize.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:33 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by varkwso
Dissolved Solids are not removed by filtering (think "salts") by Suspended Solids are (think dirt and some biological organisms). Distillation, depending on sophistication, removes them all. Reverse Osmosis does a fair to excellent job also (depends on system). Truly "lab quality water" does all plus a mixed ion resin to deionize.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:41 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Of course, if you really needed the highest grade stuff with 18.2 megaohm*cm resistivity, you can take the approach that we use in research labs, which usually employ a multi-stage process. First step is to distill the water or run it through reverse-osmosis (or both), followed by UV lamp treatments, and then multiple stages of carbon filters for final purification. Upfront costs on these systems are usually 5-20k, plus 2-5k/yr in maintenance costs.
This ^^ is what we use at work and what i've used for the rad fill with no issues. Had a service tech in at work last week who tried to tell me that store bought distilled was better for an instrument chiller than the 18.2 Mohm water that we were using.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just use regular drinking water. Distilled may actually do more harm than good.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I use rainwater in mine...

It's filtered and UV sanitized. We use it for everything in the house. The inside of the faucets still look new after 12 years.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
The drinking water standard covers a lot of territority....
Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I use the yellowish water from the pond at Grattan Raceway. I think the yellow color is due to the oil seeping into the ground from the track...

I mostly think that becuase the alternative is gross.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I think that depends on where you live. In SoCal things like shower heads and dishwasher spray heads clog up after a few years with solids that are in the tap water. Not sure it would be wise to put in a car.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not tap water, but rather gallons of water labeled as drinking water rather than distilled. It is my understanding that since distilled lacks minerals and such it tries to pull them from everything it comes in contact with eating away at all the water passages, radiator, etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:23 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Not tap water, but rather gallons of water labeled as drinking water rather than distilled. It is my understanding that since distilled lacks minerals and such it tries to pull them from everything it comes in contact with eating away at all the water passages, radiator, etc.
While true to an extent, it will only pull enough to be at a "balanced" state...which isn't much.

Rainwater and distilled water share an "aggressive" moniker. They said that we might need to replace the copper in the house in 70 years from the rainwater system. I'll be dead in 70 years...and considering the thiness of those pipes, the water doesn't take very much out of the metals it comes in contact with.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:22 AM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
While true to an extent, it will only pull enough to be at a "balanced" state...which isn't much.

Rainwater and distilled water share an "aggressive" moniker. They said that we might need to replace the copper in the house in 70 years from the rainwater system. I'll be dead in 70 years...and considering the thiness of those pipes, the water doesn't take very much out of the metals it comes in contact with.
With the cleanest ultra-pure water you can strip paint and etch many materials. but this water is treated with several sequential purification methods and can cost $100+ a gallon! "Ordinary" purified water is nowhere close to that reactivity though.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks, all very interesting.

Get notified of new replies

To Distilled water vs. purified water?

Quick Reply: Distilled water vs. purified water?