Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5z oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default c5z oil analysis

A couple of things I found out.

The average is of only LS6 engines (332 samples to date) so if you are sending oil from a new engine (say the new LT1) the sample size will be small for a while. I was surprised that only 332 Ls6 oil samples have been sent in since that engine has been around a fairly long time.

The first shaded column becomes the average for your engine as you send subsequent samples.

They do not "recommend" any oils, only to use the correct wgt for use and make sure there is some in the engine

Worth the $25 I guess, good numbers for the type use & 7k OCI.

Engine has had M1, Redline, Pennzoil, Castrol and some no name an independent put in once when I let him (unfortunately) touch the car. I had to do the job over (front seal & balancer).

Comments welcome.

Last edited by froggy47; 11-21-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:46 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love these guys. Had an analysis on my track C5Z done a few months ago and things were great. Good peace of mind for 25 bucks.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:37 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 8 of the 332 samples. Also had tranny and diff evaluated Even had Andy call me to discuss the findings. Very knowledgeable people
Old 11-22-2013, 11:37 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I get Blacktone to analyze my LS6 engine oil at the end of every season. Well worth the cost in my opinion. Worked with them last year on evaluating change intervals based on track miles driven. Found that I could extend change interval and still have substantial life left in the oil. Used to change every other event, now run three events prior to a change.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Do you guys pay the extra $$ to get the oil tested for how much additive pkg is left?

I did not because I was changing out the oil anyway.

I went with Pennzoil full syn platinum 10w-30.

I did a little research and it seems like a very good oil & locally was at a sale price $6 qt.

Not that I always buy stuff on sale, but the Redline was double that.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Do you guys pay the extra $$ to get the oil tested for how much additive pkg is left?

I did a little research and it seems like a very good oil & locally was at a sale price $6 qt.

Not that I always buy stuff on sale, but the Redline was double that.
Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra are both good oils (especially if you can get the 5qt jugs at your local Walmart).

Spending the extra $10 for a TBN is really only necessary if you're looking to do extended drain intervals.

Take a look over at bobistheoilguy.com some time if you haven't already done so. Lots of good info and UOAs posted over there.

Last edited by Fulton 1; 11-22-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:06 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Only when I wanted to keep the same oil for a specified OCI (~6K miles), and it was a year after the initial fill. (Auto-x car only that saw little time on the street except driving to and from out-of-town events typically 600 mi round trips.) Took a sample and sent it off to confirm the additive package was still good which it was. Then topped of the remaining oil to the "full" mark. (I was using Redline 10W-30 at the time so the expense of the Blackstone report was more than offset by not having to change seven quarts of oil plus the filter.)

I've been a loyal Mobil 1 user since 1991, but Pennzoil Ultra has won me over. Very impressed with this oil especially after reading some of the virgin and used oil analyses on BITOG. If your local sale price is still $6, I'd stock up!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're great for so much info Froggy! I just sent in for a free kit so I can see how my oils lookin'.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by FruiTay
You're great for so much info Froggy! I just sent in for a free kit so I can see how my oils lookin'.
I will put up a video with the oil analysis info this weekend, no racing going on. Also none on Thanksgiving weekend.

I just added up to about 30 events this year champs & practices between scca & bmwcca.

I am falling behind on track days so must correct that during the break. Speed Ventures will probably have a good deal at Fontana.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
Only when I wanted to keep the same oil for a specified OCI (~6K miles), and it was a year after the initial fill. (Auto-x car only that saw little time on the street except driving to and from out-of-town events typically 600 mi round trips.) Took a sample and sent it off to confirm the additive package was still good which it was. Then topped of the remaining oil to the "full" mark. (I was using Redline 10W-30 at the time so the expense of the Blackstone report was more than offset by not having to change seven quarts of oil plus the filter.)

I've been a loyal Mobil 1 user since 1991, but Pennzoil Ultra has won me over. Very impressed with this oil especially after reading some of the virgin and used oil analyses on BITOG. If your local sale price is still $6, I'd stock up!
I would like to try the Ultra, but that gets a little harder to find. My local socal pepboys has the Platinum all the time so, yes, I'll but some up next time they run the special.

Real good peace of mind on the Blackstone report. Wish I could get a "clutch" report from somewhere. That's prob my next issue, stock at 55k miles good as of now.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I would like to try the Ultra, but that gets a little harder to find. My local socal pepboys has the Platinum all the time so, yes, I'll but some up next time they run the special.

Real good peace of mind on the Blackstone report. Wish I could get a "clutch" report from somewhere. That's prob my next issue, stock at 55k miles good as of now.

froggy, if you have a Walmart in your area check out their selection of 5qt jugs of the Pennzoil. It's the best deal going. Unfortunately they have stopped carrying the Ultra up here, but I can still get Platinum for under $5/qt if buying the jugs.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks for the tip!

Get notified of new replies

To c5z oil analysis

Quick Reply: c5z oil analysis