Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mam rip???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:12 PM
huskerhank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mam rip???

I don't know how many of you are from any where near the Omaha area, but the track close to here, Mid America Motorplex in Glenwood, Ia went up for auction this morning and sold to a farmer. I have to believe of that is not good news. Along with the road course and the drag strip, there were 205 acres of farmable land, but what are the odds of them not just turning it into 100% farm land? I do not know for a fact what the person is going to do with it and I was hoping maybe somebody on this board might have more information as I have enjoyed many a day out there.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

MAM is a very fun and safe track. It would be a big loss to those that like to track in the upper midwest.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's going to cost some $$ to remove all that pavement. But the odds of the track re-opening is very minimal.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 AM
blackdak318
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You should do a little research before you post things like this and make crazy assumptions. It shines a bad lite on MAM for no reason.

If you follow the MAM facebook page Jim posted that yes the track was sold but that he was very confiednt the new owner was going to keep it open as a track. They are going to make the final decision today and post it to their page. Again he is confiednt it will remain open as a racing track.

Last edited by blackdak318; 11-25-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:32 PM
huskerhank
Racer

Blackdak, the whole reason for my post was to find out more information. I do not believe I hurt MAM with my "crazy" assumptions. I was just wondering out loud. I am not on facebook and everybody I know who had possible contacts at MAM had not heard anything. I thank you for your update and as I said, I truly hope it stays open as I am a frequent patron of Fast Fridays and several club events.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

MAM is an Allan Wilson designed track and when it opened it was a very nice track.

I went there several times and tried to lobby our group to put it on our list each year. Finally we put it on our calendar of the 4-5 events we were going to do in 2013.

Unfortunately I was unaware of the flood that has wrecked the paddock pavement, a lot of the amenities, and it also has taken it's toll on the track.

It was so disappointing I renamed it MASH (Mid America Sh_t Hole).

For those of use who tow hundreds of miles to get to the 4-5 events we do/year MASH will not be on our list again.

We did Barber Park at the end of the year...what a difference between the two Wilson designed tracks.

For folks who use the drag strip, I hope they save that; the rest can be plowed under IMHO.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 PM
blackdak318
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Husker - I wasn't trying to attack you just trying to get the correct info out there.

Gary - If you happend to attend an event right after the flood I could see why you're upset. However I attend a track day just back in August and had a great time. The track itself was in good condition. Yes the paddock needs a little work but it wasn't anything horrible.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 PM
huskerhank
Racer

Blackdak

I got you, no harm done and again, I do appreciate your information. I did look up their public FB page and more and more it sure seems like we will be back out there next summer.

I also agree with you about the shape of the track, it was in good condition. Yes, it is would be nice to have the paddock repaved, but I would much rather have a the track taken care of like they do.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I run MAM a couple of times a year. Roads into the place have been improved and the track surface is fast (a NASA overall track record was set there in September). Bathrooms are in good condition. Paddock needs repaving but you can still find pavement for your floor jacks. I hope the track continues to survive.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:20 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

how much did it end up selling for on the auction?? I was outta town so i didnt watch
Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

nevermind found it, 1.46m and is going to remain a track according to their facebook page, still more details to work out

Get notified of new replies

To Mam rip???

Quick Reply: Mam rip???