Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a harness bar, does anyone have experience with Sparco or Hardbar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default Looking to buy a harness bar, does anyone have experience with Sparco or Hardbar?

Hi All,

I'm looking into buying either a harness bar or some form of partial roll cage. I like the reviews I've heard about the Hardbar harness bar, but I'm slightly concerned about the seat clearance issue. I'm 6'2" 235lbs with relatively long legs. The Sparco seems like it provides better clearance, but do you guys trust it structurally? Let me be clear that I'm not interested in the Brey Krause bar, as it weights over 10lbs more than the other two. My other option would be a partial cage, as I'd trade a little lightness for added stiffness. Can anyone recommend a good cage? My friends that I work with have welding experience but aren't certified by any means, so any difficult welds might be out of the question. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an older Hardbar and it mounted too high to get the right belt angle when I started wearing a HANS device.

Other folks had posted here that the Sharkbar has a lower mounting location and it's true-- I switched to one and the position was much better.

Just 2-cents.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:23 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I have the Sparco bar in my C5Z. I'm very happy with it, and yes I trust it structurally. I am curious why you ask that? Have you heard something that would lead you to think otherwise?

At the time that I bought my bar (May 2013), the Sparco bar was VERY hard to find. Most dealers that I checked with had the Sparco bar on backorder, with no ETA. I found ONE available via Amazon, and bought it.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:27 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by NOSLO6
I had an older Hardbar and it mounted too high to get the right belt angle when I started wearing a HANS device.

Other folks had posted here that the Sharkbar has a lower mounting location and it's true-- I switched to one and the position was much better.

Just 2-cents.
Thanks for the input, however, I don't think the Sharkbar is available for the C5
Old 11-26-2013, 01:28 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
I have the Sparco bar in my C5Z. I'm very happy with it, and yes I trust it structurally. I am curious why you ask that? Have you heard something that would lead you to think otherwise?

At the time that I bought my bar (May 2013), the Sparco bar was VERY hard to find. Most dealers that I checked with had the Sparco bar on backorder, with no ETA. I found ONE available via Amazon, and bought it.
Actually, I haven't heard anything about it which is why I'm curious. I hear a lot of people trust the Brey Krause Bar and Hardbar but I don't like the drawbacks that those particular bars have
Old 11-26-2013, 01:39 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
Thanks for the input, however, I don't think the Sharkbar is available for the C5
You might want to contact Dan and ask him if he may have one left in stock or if he would make some more. He's a good guy to deal with and he may help you out.

It looks like he still has the Sparco bars for C5 coupes and Z06's so that may be a good option. I got a Sparco bar from him for my '87 and the install was simple and it's very strong.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 11-26-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:50 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
It looks like he still has the Sparco bars for C5 coupes and Z06's so that may be a good option.
That may be the case, however the website said exactly the same thing (two in stock ready to ship) when I was looking for my Sparco back in May, and it was actually backordered. I recommend calling to confirm availability before ordering.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:01 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Actually, I haven't heard anything about it which is why I'm curious. I hear a lot of people trust the Brey Krause Bar and Hardbar but I don't like the drawbacks that those particular bars have
Gotcha. My only beef with the Sparco bar is that it didn't come with installation instructions of any kind, and Sparco's tech support was less than helpful. It wasn't hard to install by any means, I just wasn't sure about the orientation of the lower brackets. If you end up getting one and need help let me know.

I didn't consider the Hardbar at all, given the height it sits at once installed. I have seen several of the BK bars and would've used that, but it doesn't appear to be legal for SCCA Stock autocrossing.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

[QUOTE=69autoXr;1585527781]Gotcha. My only beef with the Sparco bar is that it didn't come with installation instructions of any kind, and Sparco's tech support was less than helpful. It wasn't hard to install by any means, I just wasn't sure about the orientation of the lower brackets. If you end up getting one and need help let me know.

I didn't consider the Hardbar at all, given the height it sits at once installed. I have seen several of the BK bars and would've used that, but it doesn't appear to be legal for SCCA Stock autocrossing.[/QUOTE]

Why would you think it isn't legal for stock autocrossing? It seems to fit the C type bar mentioned in the rule book and 4 attachment points are permitted. See Paragraph 13.2 Subparagraph J.

“A horizontal “harness bar” may be used as part of the installation hardware for allowed driver restraints provided it has no more than 2 attachment points to the chassis and is bolted at those locations. A C-type harness bar may also be used. It may have 4 bolted attachment points to the chassis (2 primary and 2 supporting connections to resist rotation). Truss-type harness bars are not allowed."

Bill

Old 11-26-2013, 02:46 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

You might want to contact Dan and ask him if he may have one left in stock or if he would make some more. He's a good guy to deal with and he may help you out.
Thanks, who is Dan and how should I go about contacting him?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why would you think it isn't legal for stock autocrossing? It seems to fit the C type bar mentioned in the rule book and 4 attachment points are permitted. See Paragraph 13.2 Subparagraph J.
Apologies to the OP if this is getting off your topic.

I said the BK "appears" not to be legal for SCCA Stock because I've never found evidence that it is legal, but I have seen posts that do specifically say it is illegal. The most recent was a post at the z06vetteforum that said the SCCA specifically deemed the BK was illegal. See post #6 here: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/sp...5/#post1341722

I also thought I saw a post on the SCCA Forums that concurred, but I can't find it now.

My thought was that the BK was not a "C" type bar because it is a straight bar (between the mounting brackets), therefore I assumed this is why it is not legal. Whereas the Sparco is most definitely bent into a "C" shape. I found a Sparco bar available and bought it. If I never found a Sparco bar I probably would have taken the chance with the BK.

Last edited by 69autoXr; 11-26-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:17 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks, who is Dan and how should I go about contacting him?
Dan owns the company that makes the Sharkbar. Or call him at the "Service/orders" number.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:50 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Dan owns the company that makes the Sharkbar. Or call him at the "Service/orders" number.
Thanks, I'll give him a ring
Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi All,

I'm looking into buying either a harness bar or some form of partial roll cage. I like the reviews I've heard about the Hardbar harness bar, but I'm slightly concerned about the seat clearance issue. I'm 6'2" 235lbs with relatively long legs.

James,

I am 6'3" and I use the Hardbar. Perhaps you are not familiar with the extenders that they make for tall drivers? I installed the extenders in my Z and now I have plenty of clearance for my seat.

I did a post on the installation - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-a-c5-z06.html

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:30 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm 6'2 and had the Hardbar without the extenders and found it too high for use with a Hans device. I have since switched to a Sparco bar and it sits much lower.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:28 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '14

I just ordered the Hardbar today. If I need them I'll buy the extensions. Did you notice a difference in weight between the Hardbar and the Sparco?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy a harness bar, does anyone have experience with Sparco or Hardbar?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a harness bar, does anyone have experience with Sparco or Hardbar?