Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paul Walker (Fast& Furious)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Paul Walker (Fast& Furious)

In case you missed the thread in OT

https://www.corvetteforum.com/off-to...lker-dead.html

Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was such a sick car. The driver was professional. BUT I feel like that driver should have known better Speeds like that on public roads? Professional or not. So lucky nobody innocent was hurt.
This was after a charity event, maybe alcohol was involved? Regardless, the driver's actions took two lives and left a 15 year-old girl without a dad.
I wish this didn't happen.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
It was such a sick car. The driver was professional. BUT I feel like that driver should have known better Speeds like that on public roads? Professional or not. So lucky nobody innocent was hurt.
This was after a charity event, maybe alcohol was involved? Regardless, the driver's actions took two lives and left a 15 year-old girl without a dad.
Preliminary reports say he was doing about 50 in a 45, and the curve was posted at 15 MPH.

Just because it was a Carrera GT doesnt mean he was doing crazy speeds.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Liked him in the F&F series (excluding 2nd and 3rd). Such a waste. After a fluke fall at a water park a couple of weeks back, it can make you realize how quickly things can happen that can change your life. I am fortunate that I will be back to tennis, golf, running, drumming, tracking, etc - not so fortunate for Paul.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Preliminary reports say he was doing about 50 in a 45, and the curve was posted at 15 MPH.

....yeah 50mph did this....

Thanks for your wisdom though.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wish the mainstream media would quit making claims until they know the facts...

yes very sad RIP
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Did you see the wreck?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of people, including the media, are jumping to conclusion. Some media are reporting big headlines about it involving drag racing (then in the story it says police have ruled that out).

Yes they were professional drivers but they were trouble shooting a problem...they were about 500' for the shop in a somewhat industrial area.

one person at the event said he heard a tire blow b/f the crash. There was a trail of brake fluid reported to have been leaking.

no one knows what happened yet, but it wasn't just some jokers joy riding in a CGT...also, the CGT is not an easy car to drive...this one seemed to have issues, it was owned by 6 people since 2005.

Also, not the 1st pair to perish in a CGT.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure about that one...may not have been doing crazy speed but it seems to me that if I'm doing 50 and loose it the light post is going to slow me up enough where I wouldn't have enough momentum left to up root a couple trees.

Last edited by Gary2KC5; 12-04-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

The public road isn't a place for testing a possibly faulty hyper car. Case proven.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 PM
jsilvz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^
I have to agree with FruiTay
R I P My Friends
Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

this was hardly the highway, this was a deserted industrial area which i am sure in cali it was around 4-6 lanes wide. during the weekends these places are deserted til the week days comes.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To be honest I haven't seen much of any of his movies. But it's always sad to hear about a racer dying.
Soap box
Mainstream media is out of control.
Off soap box

Randy
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dvandentop
this was hardly the highway, this was a deserted industrial area which i am sure in cali it was around 4-6 lanes wide. during the weekends these places are deserted til the week days comes.
If it was a "test and tune," they would have had helmets, flame retardant suits, safety crews and maybe their lives still.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

If it was a "test and tune," they would have had helmets, flame retardant suits, safety crews and maybe their lives still.

Willow Springs International Raceway is an hour away from where this happened and they have regular test and tune days weekly.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 PM
hellrazr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The public road isn't a place for testing a possibly faulty hyper car. Case proven.
Yeah, unfortunately, I've seen and been with professional drivers and performance shop owners/employees do this sort of **** on public roads. Call me a big *****, but it's just stupid to me.

When I asked one pro driver about this sort of thing, he said his friends make fun of him because his daily driver is an SUV and he drives the speed limits. I teased him a bit, and he just said that in street driving he just wants to get to his destination safely, the other drivers on the road are plenty dangerous. Another funny quote from the guy was "everyone is brave until they've cracked vertebra going into a wall at 120 mph [in a race car]".

Check out the map of the area around the shop. There is nice road there that makes for a good makeshift track. Wide road, industrial area, probably empty on nights and weekends. Has a nice sweeper, good straights, and a tight corner. Good place for a performance shop. haha.

As for 50 mph in a 45, maybe they meant 150 mph.

At first glance, I thought that it was the classic novice porsche mistake where the guy exits a corner with too much throttle, lifts abruptly, and spins the car...this will spin out a porsche every time. But, apparently the driver had enough experience to know better. Will be interesting to see if it was a mechanical failure. Maybe they switched places and Paul was driving?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by froggy47
Did you see the wreck?

Did you? No. You see what all of us have seen, the pictures of the aftermath.

Ever seen a car explode? Ever seen a carbon fiber or 'glass tub on fire? It becomes the horrible mangled mess you see in the pictures especially after the car is further mangled during removal of the bodies. It very well could have been a goofy, relatively low speed accident that just punched that front gas tank perfectly to induce a violent explosion, who knows. I've seen cars mangled as much from less speed. We do know the CGT is a TOUGH car as evidence by the accident that was on that track day in cali I believe it was. That car completely moved concrete barriers quite a way yet stayed relatively intact. Unfortunate results were still the loss of life. Still does not mean the car is unsafe as everyone wants to point out. As if people haven't died in all kinds of cars. All of this crap swirling over somebodies death is just sick. The judgment, the BS, the holier than thou comments. Its part of the reason I have been off forums of late. It's like this with everything. God forbid some racer posts a video, all the people who have never raced flock to critique. It gets even older when loss of life is involved.

Until the reports from the PROFESSIONALS who do the accident recon tell us the details all of the passing of judgment should really halt. If it comes to light that they were doing 120mph and playing crazy games, then bash away. But also remember, not one of us here has never done the same, and if you deny it, well, you have to live with that lie......

RIP Paul Walker. You dun good while you were still here!

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Paul Walker (Fast& Furious)

Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Did you? No. You see what all of us have seen, the pictures of the aftermath.

Ever seen a car explode? Ever seen a carbon fiber or 'glass tub on fire? It becomes the horrible mangled mess you see in the pictures especially after the car is further mangled during removal of the bodies. It very well could have been a goofy, relatively low speed accident that just punched that front gas tank perfectly to induce a violent explosion, who knows. I've seen cars mangled as much from less speed. We do know the CGT is a TOUGH car as evidence by the accident that was on that track day in cali I believe it was. That car completely moved concrete barriers quite a way yet stayed relatively intact. Unfortunate results were still the loss of life. Still does not mean the car is unsafe as everyone wants to point out. As if people haven't died in all kinds of cars. All of this crap swirling over somebodies death is just sick. The judgment, the BS, the holier than thou comments. Its part of the reason I have been off forums of late. It's like this with everything. God forbid some racer posts a video, all the people who have never raced flock to critique. It gets even older when loss of life is involved.

Until the reports from the PROFESSIONALS who do the accident recon tell us the details all of the passing of judgment should really halt. If it comes to light that they were doing 120mph and playing crazy games, then bash away. But also remember, not one of us here has never done the same, and if you deny it, well, you have to live with that lie......

RIP Paul Walker. You dun good while you were still here!

Joe
Yeah sorry, guess you are right, it does look like a 50 mph fender bender.

Here's a clip from the 2009 Fontana track up the road from me. 2 killed. CGT. HPDE.

How fast you figure they were going?

Just saying your original post was, uh, oh never mind.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Willow Springs International Raceway is an hour away from where this happened and they have regular test and tune days weekly.
I was on my way back home from WSIR (SOW) and passing through Valencia probably right near the time this happened...

Who knows why, we don't yet, maybe never will... Paul was quoted as relatively saying "never been for a ride in this car, take me for a quick spin...."

This rings for me on how fragile life is...

I have toured the world for 30 years as a musician.. I think about it ALL the time when in a plane, a car, a tour bus... I ain't in control...Someone or something else is. Scary really.

Shizz happens ... he seemingly was a great guy, good actor, successful, and shunning the Hollywood Hype... he was a dad of a 15 year old girl... I would hate to leave my 16 year old girl this way ... any way ...

RIP Mr Walker... my sympathies to your family.

(and I'll miss you in F&F... always enjoyed)
Old 12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

How fast you figure they were going?

How fast do you think they were going?

Any number will do, and if you are proven right, I will give you 1,000,000 internets! If wrong, I get ALL the internets! lol I can't say they were doing 50, 75, or even 100. I lack knowledge about the CGT and crashes in general and I am not to smart to begin with.

I am not trying to argue with you or anyone. I am VERY curious to see if they say how fast they determined the car was going. I am just curious what speed you think they were going when the driver lost control. I am gonna say 55 mph. I will happily admit I am wrong if a number higher or lower comes out.

I can say that when I stuffed my vette into the side of a mountain, the amount of damage from a 30-40 mph impact shocked the heck outta me

RIP to 2 car guys and a reminder to us all how quick things can change

Quick Reply: Paul Walker (Fast& Furious)